Wealth Blog

Finance Blogs » Wealth » The most generous billionaire

The most generous billionaire

By Judy Martel · Bankrate.com
Wednesday, January 9, 2013

One billionaire far outpaced any others last year in his generosity to charity: Warren Buffett. The 82-year-old chairman and CEO of Berkshire Hathaway gave $3.09 billion, more than half the total amount given by the other 14 on the list of largest charitable donations, published by The Chronicle of Philanthropy.

Warren Buffett

Warren Buffett gave more than $3 billion to charity last year.

The top 15 gifts to charity totaled $5.1 billion in 2012, up from $2.6 billion the year before.

Buffett is putting his money where his mouth is. In 2010 he announced that he was giving 90 percent of his fortune to charity and urged other rich Americans to donate at least half of their wealth. Since then, his Giving Pledge, as the campaign is called, has attracted dozens of billionaires, including media tycoon Ted Turner and Oracle Corp. co-founder Larry Ellison.

Buffett's $3.09 billion gift last year was in the form of stock, to be divided equally among foundations run by his children. After Buffett, the largest donations in 2012 came from Facebook founder Mark Zuckerberg, whose $498.8 million gift to the Silicon Valley Community Foundation will support health and education. No. 3 is Paul Allen, co-founder of Microsoft, with a $300 million donation to the Allen Institute for Brain Science.

Keep up with your wealth and mortgages and follow me on Twitter.

Get more news, money-saving tips and expert advice by signing up for a free Bankrate newsletter.

Rev Lyrec Hill
January 02, 2014 at 9:05 pm

Wow Maria F. that was beautifully said

Maria F.
January 02, 2014 at 8:53 pm

What great inspirational wonderful people that can lead by example. They all worked hard to obtain, grow and maintain their wealth thus they do deserve it all, they have earned it. If they were to ask who might need some money I would fall to their feet and beg any of them to not even give me a penny but supply my handicapped sick children with a great medical team, that is all I pray for and all I would ever need in life. One of my children needs life altering surgery to open his airway but it is so complicated and there are so many different specialist that every one of the doctors are on a different page, it is so hard for a regular mom to know what to do.
To all of the readers that might live like me, paycheck to paycheck, I would like to share with you what real wealth is; it is true health and peace of mind. Thank God for your health and your family’s health no matter what it is because it always could be worse.

Rev Lyrec Hill
January 02, 2014 at 8:50 pm

I am just radicle enough to believe all thing are possible including my last post. I believe in Miracles. Mr.Buffett

JENNY
January 02, 2014 at 8:15 pm

WHAT A WONDERFUL MAN...MY DAUGHTER HAS A VERY RISING PHOTO BUSINESS IN TAOS,NM ARE THERE ANY GRANTS

joann pisacane
December 09, 2013 at 8:56 am

MR.BUFFETT

NOT FOR NOTHING. I DONT KNOW IF YOUR FACE IS AIR BRUSHED? BUT YOU SHURE LOOK GOOD FOR 82,

JO-ANN

rick kunel
December 01, 2013 at 8:49 am

if I had that kind of money I would help people who work to get it and I would get myself outta dept and work with people who need help

Robert Kemp
November 26, 2013 at 12:34 pm

There are still Great people in our country. I would share the wealth as well if I were as blessed as these extremely rich people. I am a small time investor and trying to make my small business take flight. Not seeking a handout myself but thanks for this info. and great work Judy Martel.

Cheryl Groom
November 26, 2013 at 2:05 am

Hello millionaires and billionaires...I know it is your money . you earned it or inherited it. Can we read about you blessing a family in need every now and then......

randy sweigart
November 25, 2013 at 7:31 pm

it must be nice having all that money but all i would want is about one hundred thousand so i wouldn't have to struggle every month and worry if im gonna have food on the table the next day to feed my family. I just wish i could be that succesful in life. He is an awesome man.

Deanna
November 25, 2013 at 1:11 pm

This is awesome. Please keep up your good works. They always say all that you give comes back to you.