Wealth Blog

Finance Blogs » Wealth » The most generous billionaire

The most generous billionaire

By Judy Martel · Bankrate.com
Wednesday, January 9, 2013

One billionaire far outpaced any others last year in his generosity to charity: Warren Buffett. The 82-year-old chairman and CEO of Berkshire Hathaway gave $3.09 billion, more than half the total amount given by the other 14 on the list of largest charitable donations, published by The Chronicle of Philanthropy.

Warren Buffett

Warren Buffett gave more than $3 billion to charity last year.

The top 15 gifts to charity totaled $5.1 billion in 2012, up from $2.6 billion the year before.

Buffett is putting his money where his mouth is. In 2010 he announced that he was giving 90 percent of his fortune to charity and urged other rich Americans to donate at least half of their wealth. Since then, his Giving Pledge, as the campaign is called, has attracted dozens of billionaires, including media tycoon Ted Turner and Oracle Corp. co-founder Larry Ellison.

Buffett's $3.09 billion gift last year was in the form of stock, to be divided equally among foundations run by his children. After Buffett, the largest donations in 2012 came from Facebook founder Mark Zuckerberg, whose $498.8 million gift to the Silicon Valley Community Foundation will support health and education. No. 3 is Paul Allen, co-founder of Microsoft, with a $300 million donation to the Allen Institute for Brain Science.

Keep up with your wealth and mortgages and follow me on Twitter.

Get more news, money-saving tips and expert advice by signing up for a free Bankrate newsletter.

Michele
November 25, 2013 at 12:26 pm

I am 46 years old and have raised 4 children on my own. I was not taught to be money savvy and I am looking for help on how and what to invest in. I am looking for some guidance and not a get rich quick scheme. I have a full time position, and a little money to work with. I am willing to sacrifice and give up a few pleasures to have enough to money to work with. I just do not know how to utilize it to work for me. I am only one paycheck for homelessness and am tired of chasing coat tails. I want off the merry-go-round. I would truly appreciate some guidance.

Michele

Linda field
November 11, 2013 at 8:30 pm

Please help me I need money to survive. Please help!

michael burney
November 10, 2013 at 5:50 am

GOOD MORNING SIR I AM AT NEED TO GET HELP OUT OF DEBT. I NEED 15,000 THAT WOULD HEILP OR ANYTHING YOU CAN DO. YOU KEEP DOING YOUR THING AND GOD BLESS.

Thomas
October 23, 2013 at 12:52 am

Dear Brother
Greetings in the precious name of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ.
We are praying every day for you,your family and business.

To day I would like to share few words with you about us and our
ministries,
I really appreciate you for your charitable works it's amazing
wonderful. I am giving my heartful thanks for you, God is watching
your good works HE will give you good reward. May God's Grace and
peace will be up on you and your family.

I am pastor Thomas,doing ministry independently in India with God's
calling.
our organization name is "THOMAS MINISTRIES" Regd No. 590/07.
Our ministries are Gospel preaching,village evangelism,prayer for
sick,
prison ministry besides we are caring and helping to orphans,widows
and old
aged people those who are homeless, helpless.

Thomas ministries had vision to establish well transformed society by
saving
perishing souls and wipe out every tears those who are struggling,
suffering
and broken lives.

Now our organization is financially in critical situation so I am
asking you as a christian that please donate and live our
organization with your kind help even though little and get heavenly
blessings,your talents will be doubled in the kingdom of heaven and
also tell to your friends and relatives about our organization,no
pressure in this charity.If you are willing to donate please send
your cheque/demand drafts in favor of "Thomas ministries".

We wish you cordially to come India to visit our church and
ministries,
we are praying for you and your family in our daily prayer,please
pray for
us and our ministries. May God bless and prosperous you forever !

Sincerely in Christ
Pastor Thomas & church
Thomas ministries
India
email:thomas913@rediffmail.com

dorothyjoseph
February 06, 2013 at 10:18 am

i am a poor woman that lives paycheck to paycheck ,never has enough money to pay pay everything always have to juggle bills around.i would love to open my own business ,a beauty supply store for women that are losing their hair for whatever reason please help

Berinyuy Elvis Yufonyuy
February 02, 2013 at 6:20 am

Before i start expressing myself i will like to wish a happy new year 2013 to every human in this world in general and to Mr WARREN BUFFETT in particular for his humanitarian gesture in 2013 and pray God should continue to bless you.Sir i am in a desperate situation right now and need any amount of help from you.I am called ELVIS.I am of Cameroonian nationality and based in Cameroon.I graduated from the high school in 2004 but lacked sponsorship to attend university.Since then i have writing exams in order to get a job but all failed.I then decided to enter into business in order to make ends meet.The business was successful so much so that i was very happy.Today i have nothing.MY business was a provision store.Fire consumed everything i have worked for in the 8years.Sir i am seriously pleading that you help start again.Anything you offer i will be very grateful.sir you are a father and your son needs your help. I shall be waiting to hear from you.Bye and have a wanderfull time.

A Randolph
January 19, 2013 at 5:02 pm

I just want to say I think it is wonderful that all billionaires like Mr. Buffett have given so much to charity. After all, how can a person spend all of it in a lifetime!
Happiness doesnt come from great wealth, but from a peaceful heart.
God bless all those that give from their hearts!

MRS.NEWELL
January 17, 2013 at 5:21 pm

HELLO, IVE NEVER RESPONED TO ANYTHING LIKE THIS BEFORE, BUT I FELT LED TO DO THIS.I AM A DAYCARE NAME GODS CREATION WITH 2 LOCATIONS AND A 501C3 ORGANIZATION. I AM LOOKING FOR PEOPLE TO INVEST IN A WONDERFUL CENTER WIHT GREAT OPPORTUNITY .IN SHORT I SPENT MY MONEY GETTING STARTED BUT RAN OUT I GIVE BACK TO DOUGLASVILLE WITH FREE DAYCARE TO PEOPLE IN NEED AND FOOD.I HAVE BEEN HURT DOING IT CAUSE I DIDNT GET ANY SUPPORT FROM THE COUNTY LIKE I THOUGHT. HOWEVER I STILL HELP AS MUC AS I CAN AND I TRY TO MAKE A DIFFERENCE IN THE COUNTY BY GIVING QUALITY CARE WITHOUT THE PRICE . I AM ONLY NEEDING HELP WIT UP GRADING AND I WOULD LIKE TO PURCHASE MY BUILDING. TO BE ABLE TO PUT BACK MORE MONEY.I WOULD LIKE SOMEONE TO GIVE ME THE OPPORTUNITY TO REALLY GIVE BACK WITHOUT HURTING THE CENTER. MI8A NEWELL

Gertrude Buck
January 17, 2013 at 1:45 pm

Well. Here I am once again. I guess one could call it begging, but that is perfectly all right with me simply because I am in dire need of money. And I've learned down through the years how to receive as well as give. And Lord knows I've given in my life time, so now because I'm in need, I've also been humbled enough to ask whenever I'm in need.
So please, please, please Mr. Buffett I truly do need some money right now. I have been on broke with no money whatsoever in my pocket for just about a year now and I'm so tired of not having enough. My bank account is in the red every single month; I'm currently accepting Food Stamps and still with no money.
I've tried doing everything within my power to attain money legally and because I am a Senior Citizen and Disabled, it makes it just that more difficult for me.
Please contact me Mr. Buffett so I can tell you and discuss with you more about my situation. I'm sure and have no doubt in my once Military Married Mind (due to my late husband's demise) that you will help me.
Sincerely yours,
Mrs. Buck
Magnolia, DE 19962

Kathy
January 17, 2013 at 11:34 am

Happy New Year to all! From my research wealthy people do not donate to individuals, only reputable organizations. Which is understandable because of alot of unmentionables asking for money who don't really need it. I agree that nobody seems to really know where and how these donations are spent. You hear and see a lot of stories about people being helped by celebrities, etc. Seems to me that you have to have some kind of Hallmark movie situation to be chosen. With all due respect for those who have been, I feel at times it is not given folks with the simular situations that are not Hallmark, a chance. Please don't take any of this in a wrong way. Sometimes life situations just don't get any better no matter how much you do, and with having disablilities, even harder at times. The giving and doing even though you are struggling can't always happen, esp if you are doing it alone. You do your best to truely do this and keep trying, giving,and doing. You fall, get back up, fall again. They say things happen for a reason and I question that everyday why layoffs keep happening, husband running off with someone else and leaving a chaos of bills, foreclose, children, and my Menieres. I could go on but my point is this....there comes a time when we need....a REAL chance not just a hand out....sincere comfort not lectures....a new start but not quite the finish. I'll take it from there, keep my faith, and make my own Hallmark HAPPY ending. My best to all this 2013!