Wealth Blog

Finance Blogs » Wealth » The most generous billionaire

The most generous billionaire

By Judy Martel · Bankrate.com
Wednesday, January 9, 2013

One billionaire far outpaced any others last year in his generosity to charity: Warren Buffett. The 82-year-old chairman and CEO of Berkshire Hathaway gave $3.09 billion, more than half the total amount given by the other 14 on the list of largest charitable donations, published by The Chronicle of Philanthropy.

Warren Buffett

Warren Buffett gave more than $3 billion to charity last year.

The top 15 gifts to charity totaled $5.1 billion in 2012, up from $2.6 billion the year before.

Buffett is putting his money where his mouth is. In 2010 he announced that he was giving 90 percent of his fortune to charity and urged other rich Americans to donate at least half of their wealth. Since then, his Giving Pledge, as the campaign is called, has attracted dozens of billionaires, including media tycoon Ted Turner and Oracle Corp. co-founder Larry Ellison.

Buffett's $3.09 billion gift last year was in the form of stock, to be divided equally among foundations run by his children. After Buffett, the largest donations in 2012 came from Facebook founder Mark Zuckerberg, whose $498.8 million gift to the Silicon Valley Community Foundation will support health and education. No. 3 is Paul Allen, co-founder of Microsoft, with a $300 million donation to the Allen Institute for Brain Science.

Keep up with your wealth and mortgages and follow me on Twitter.

Get more news, money-saving tips and expert advice by signing up for a free Bankrate newsletter.

S.A.B.
January 17, 2013 at 5:06 am

I AM AN ALS PATIENT, I RETIRED FROM MY JOB IN 1998 AT AGE 65 AND IN THE YEAR OF 2000 I HAD A STROKE AND IN 2005 IS WHEN I LEARNED THAT I HAVE ALS( LOU GEHRIG'S DISEASE ) I HAVE BEEN IN A POWERED WHEELCHAIR SINCE 2003, THAT IS WHEN I STOPPED WALKING. I DON'T GET TO GO OUT MUCH BECAUSE I CANNOT WALK, AND NOBODY COMES TO TAKE ME OUT. THE ONLY PLACE THAT I GET TO GO IS TO MY DOCTOR EVERY 3 MONTHS, THE TRANS AID HANDICAP BUS WITH A LIFT TAKES ME THERE. THEY ARE FOR MEDICAL TRANSPORT.I CANNNOT RIDE IN NO CAR BECAUSE MY CHAIR WONT GO IN NO CAR, THAT IS WHY I NEED A HANDICAP VAN WITH A LIFT. ASK ONE OF THESE BILLIONARIES WHO IS GIVING MONEY AWAY TO CHARTIES IF THEY CAN DONATE ME A HANDICAP VAN. MAYBE SOMEONE LIKE MR. WARREN BUFFETT WILL DONATE ME A HANDICAP VAN SO THAT I CAN GO PLACES TO GET OUT OF THIS HOUSE SOMETIME AND MAYBE USE THE VAN TO TAKE PEOPLE JUST LIKE ME TO THE MALL OR GROCERY SHOPPING. I HAVE TO PAY PEOPLE DEARLY TO SHOP FOR ME AND MY SOCIAL SECURITY CHECK ISN'T MUCH. WHEN OPRAH HAD HER SHOW AND WAS GIVING AWAY CARS, I WROTE TO HER AND ASKED HER FOR A HANDICAP VAN BUT SHE NEVER ANSWERED ME. I GUESS SHE THOUGHT THAT I WAS SOME NUT TRYING TO GET OVER ON HER. RESPOND PLEASE. THANKS, S.A.B.

royal
January 17, 2013 at 3:19 am

get an email address and add tocomments please state the state i am looking for dependent workers in upstate ny to work with the special needs population. a secretary yes

Angela Harper
January 16, 2013 at 9:19 am

Rosie, you are right; there are jobs out there. I have been looking for a job since March, 2012. However, I have been a legal secretary most of my life but no lawyers around here are hiring. I'm applying for any kind of job I can find but most jobs outside my field require experience in that particular field, which I don't have. Very frustrating!!

Meloney
January 15, 2013 at 1:59 pm

Donating to foundations is not reliable. Once you donate you have no clue where the money is being spent and what it's being used toward. I have a book coming out soon and I plan to donate to my neighborhood by buying new books and new computers for the poor area schools.

teresa
January 15, 2013 at 1:18 pm

i am so willing to go to work but at 63 yrs old nobody wants you i am about to lose everything i have my car is in bad need of tires a house full of people in the same boat i can't put them out we need jobs maybe a use truck and a whole lot of luck we maybe old but we are dependable!!!!! i don't see any help for use older group we don't ask for a hand out we use to have a lot and we share with others to get this far but its about to run out for all of us where is there help??????

bud
January 14, 2013 at 10:15 am

Aren't they just wonderful rich people. Gave to a foundation? BS, not one mentioned what agenda they are feeding and getting the true purpose of their donations, tax deductions I think is the name of the game.

robear
January 14, 2013 at 5:27 am

so let me get this straight, if you are a billionaire and you donate a bundle of money to yourself you are considered generous.

steve morris
January 13, 2013 at 12:10 pm

Hey Warren how about sending some money my way

Rosie
January 13, 2013 at 11:33 am

IF THEY SAID, you are to old, that is age discrimination!!Get an attorney.Reinvent yourself. I am 72, couldn't work for 20 years because of an injury and health issues, but went back to work at 60 and am still working every day. There are jobs. maybe not the kind you want, but they are out there.Good luck!

Robert Banaszak
January 13, 2013 at 11:08 am

Hi I lost my job in august because they said i am getting to old I am64 and in good health.I have been looking for jobs since august 2012 and have only 2 call backs.i am in dept about 30.000 and being on unemployment makes i very hard to keep my bills up to date.also i am on cobra for 514.00 per month.I sure could use some help