Wealth Blog

Finance Blogs » Wealth » The most generous billionaire

The most generous billionaire

By Judy Martel · Bankrate.com
Wednesday, January 9, 2013

One billionaire far outpaced any others last year in his generosity to charity: Warren Buffett. The 82-year-old chairman and CEO of Berkshire Hathaway gave $3.09 billion, more than half the total amount given by the other 14 on the list of largest charitable donations, published by The Chronicle of Philanthropy.

Warren Buffett

Warren Buffett gave more than $3 billion to charity last year.

The top 15 gifts to charity totaled $5.1 billion in 2012, up from $2.6 billion the year before.

Buffett is putting his money where his mouth is. In 2010 he announced that he was giving 90 percent of his fortune to charity and urged other rich Americans to donate at least half of their wealth. Since then, his Giving Pledge, as the campaign is called, has attracted dozens of billionaires, including media tycoon Ted Turner and Oracle Corp. co-founder Larry Ellison.

Buffett's $3.09 billion gift last year was in the form of stock, to be divided equally among foundations run by his children. After Buffett, the largest donations in 2012 came from Facebook founder Mark Zuckerberg, whose $498.8 million gift to the Silicon Valley Community Foundation will support health and education. No. 3 is Paul Allen, co-founder of Microsoft, with a $300 million donation to the Allen Institute for Brain Science.

Keep up with your wealth and mortgages and follow me on Twitter.

Get more news, money-saving tips and expert advice by signing up for a free Bankrate newsletter.

BobSanchez
January 13, 2013 at 10:03 am

hello

Pam
January 13, 2013 at 12:59 am

Jake

You make me very angry. I worked all of my life and never complained about my taxes going for people who didn't work. Now, I have end-stage pulmonary fibrosis and can't work. I would give anything to be able to work again. I live on $810.00 a month, yes, I'm upset that I don't get more, but, I don't think all people are NEEDY because of bad choices. It's not my choice to not work and make much more than my disability check. You should think before you judge. Mr. Buffett worked all his life. I think your just jealous because you didn't go to college and make better choices to make more money. Kudos Mr. Buffet!! Oh, is that what you do? Sell crack?Poor Jake.

Ethel Laczko
January 11, 2013 at 11:56 pm

I have started an English literacy program in a shanty area in Peru, South America, where the children are willing and super appreciative, the houses are made of cardboard and the ground is black sand - I want to give these children the opportunity to become literate in English and be part of the of the Globalization process. I also train teachers in best practices. I sustain the project with my teacher salary and - It breaks my heart to see the millions of dollars that are available to give educational opportunities to US kids, yet they DO NOT appreciate it, to the contrary, they claim entitlement and the "give me more" attitude- while kids on the other side of the world have zero opportunities--Oh The Things , I Will Do With All The Money Donated By These Billionaires...!

steve
January 10, 2013 at 7:41 pm

none of them gave it away it stayed in something of thier own. How about giving it to local food banks, homeless shelters, free health clinics etc....

abbey
January 10, 2013 at 6:55 pm

I'll be glad to see old Warren drop by the wayside. He has gone a long way in destroying our country. He is no better than George Soros. You won't be able to take your billions to the grave Buffett, which can't come soon enough.

Lynn
January 10, 2013 at 6:53 pm

Jake: I'm not sure why you are ranting about people who are "needy" when the article is plainly about Warren Buffet giving to charities. A lot of the charities are run by very hard working people and the money received benefits people in different ways. I work for a charity that raises money for cancer research and cancer patients. There are many charities such as the March of Dimes, the American Cancer Society and I could go on and on. These people didn't make bad choices. They may have a disease such as cancer, Parkinson's disease, etc. It is a wonderful thing he does and you shouldn't be adding your two cents when you obviously want to rant about a different subject. And your last statement shows your ignorance.

Johnboy
January 10, 2013 at 6:37 pm

So Warren "donates" three billion to charities run by his children. Nice loophole to avoid the inheritance tax!

conniie
January 10, 2013 at 6:24 pm

i think Mr. Buffett is a wonderfull kind hearted person leave him alone

JL
January 10, 2013 at 5:19 pm

LJ, you've got some funny math going there. Warren Buffett is worth about $46,000,000,000. If he had it all in cash, he could give $1,000,000 to exactly 46,000 people before he was out of money. That's not even close to every man, woman & child in a single state...let alone the entire USA! Sorry, your math doesn't add up. Kudos to Warren Buffett for doing more than his fair share! I'd like to see how many other people are willing to give over 6% of their total net worth to charity in one year.

Jake
January 10, 2013 at 5:14 pm

most people who are "needy" got that way because of bad choices they have made. If you cant find a job your lazy people beg for me to work for them and i have a GED thats it. Grow up and quit asking for hand outs and make a living for your self.. shoot sell some crack