Wealth Blog

Finance Blogs » Wealth » The most generous billionaire

The most generous billionaire

By Judy Martel · Bankrate.com
Wednesday, January 9, 2013

One billionaire far outpaced any others last year in his generosity to charity: Warren Buffett. The 82-year-old chairman and CEO of Berkshire Hathaway gave $3.09 billion, more than half the total amount given by the other 14 on the list of largest charitable donations, published by The Chronicle of Philanthropy.

Warren Buffett

Warren Buffett gave more than $3 billion to charity last year.

The top 15 gifts to charity totaled $5.1 billion in 2012, up from $2.6 billion the year before.

Buffett is putting his money where his mouth is. In 2010 he announced that he was giving 90 percent of his fortune to charity and urged other rich Americans to donate at least half of their wealth. Since then, his Giving Pledge, as the campaign is called, has attracted dozens of billionaires, including media tycoon Ted Turner and Oracle Corp. co-founder Larry Ellison.

Buffett's $3.09 billion gift last year was in the form of stock, to be divided equally among foundations run by his children. After Buffett, the largest donations in 2012 came from Facebook founder Mark Zuckerberg, whose $498.8 million gift to the Silicon Valley Community Foundation will support health and education. No. 3 is Paul Allen, co-founder of Microsoft, with a $300 million donation to the Allen Institute for Brain Science.

Keep up with your wealth and mortgages and follow me on Twitter.

Get more news, money-saving tips and expert advice by signing up for a free Bankrate newsletter.

Joella
January 10, 2013 at 5:07 pm

I think it's great that he donates so much money. But I think it would be good if he would set up a college scholarship fund for kids to enter, whos parents don't make a lot of money, but thier child is doing excitent in High School and her parents would love to send her to college with a little help from grants, free scholarships, this would be a great investment for Mr.Warren Buffet. Have the kids submit an essay and portfolio to enter for a scholarship.

Bob
January 10, 2013 at 5:03 pm

And, just how do you propose that a billionair give their money can ay, do they just get online and say, who needs money, give me a call I will send you 1M so you blow it away on garbage. HMMMMM, it is easy to criticize when you are on the other side of the equation.

L.J.
January 10, 2013 at 4:45 pm

how quaint. he could give every man,woman and child in the United States a million dollars and still have money left over for the foundations.

charles
January 10, 2013 at 4:42 pm

Hi, Sandy I agree with you rich people never wanna give to the needy . There are lots of people out of work , losing homes , medical benefits and don't know where their next meal coming from . The bible says it's easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than a rich man enter into heaven. Their money is their GOD . You can't take it with you!!!

Jens
January 10, 2013 at 4:33 pm

WWWWWWWWWwHHHHHHHHHHhhaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Jens
January 10, 2013 at 4:32 pm

Maria shut up waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaawwwwwwwwwwwwwaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaawwwwwwwhhhhhhhhhhhhwwwwhhaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Muriel Ursino
January 10, 2013 at 4:26 pm

bottom line: it's their money - they earned it and it's theirs to do with as they please. We should neither praise nor condemn them - it's their business.

maria
January 10, 2013 at 4:03 pm

I just love Warren Buffet and what he does for people in need and all his Charity work and all the money per year that he gives. I have tried to get help through one of his charity and had no luck and I really need the help because I am on SSDI disability with
lost of hate crime and discrimination where I live and I just want my husband and I to move away from this hostile environment with mean people. Need help because where I live and would like to stay is so expensive to rent a nice condo in a different area. Please let me know where I can get help. Keep up the good work Mr. Buffet and God Bless you.
Regards,
Maria

Michelle
January 10, 2013 at 3:58 pm

He only donated to the foundations his own children run???? PFT!! Then Paul Allen donations to the ALLEN Institute?? Really people? We find this great?? HAHA....I find it to simply be smart planning on their part to retain all their money while getting a tax write off.. It's a joke!

Sandy
January 10, 2013 at 3:57 pm

That's great but why not give it to people who really need help
instead of foundations. Know people who need home repairs and food. Let us talk about dental care who can afford it? -why not help them!