Wealth Blog

Finance Blogs » Wealth » Only the rich can buy this java

Only the rich can buy this java

By Judy Martel · Bankrate.com
Monday, December 10, 2012

Starbucks has always appealed to an upscale clientele -- after all, a $3 cup of coffee isn't exactly a bargain. But lately the company seems to be trying to attract the super-wealthy with its newest luxury offerings.

First, the company announced last week that 48 of its locations, mostly in Seattle and Portland, Ore., will offer a rare blend of java called "Costa Rica Finca Palmilera," for $7 a cup. The coffee requires a special, $11,000-brewing machine, which is why it's not yet available in all locations.

Should you become addicted to a daily dose of the expensive elixir, you could always support your habit by asking Santa for a Starbucks gift card. But for luxury-lovers, the typical plastic gift card just won't do -- instead, be sure to request the $450 card made of etched stainless steel. The card costs $50 to make and has $400 worth of purchasing value.

True luxury is not available to the masses and this card, available through Gilt.com, has a limited run of 5,000 through the holiday season. With it, you can enjoy about 57 of the most expensive cups of coffee and perhaps impress the baristas every time you swipe the stainless.

Keep up with your wealth and mortgages and follow me on Twitter.

Get more news, money-saving tips and expert advice by signing up for a free Bankrate newsletter.

Larry
December 11, 2012 at 4:06 pm

Eveyone has an established taste. My coffee taste started when I was five (coffee was the only hot drink available). After 60+ years of drinking coffee, brewed every way possible (perked, dripped, boiled and instant with creamer and sugar sucked on, no water added, in Viet Nam)and in many countries (North America, Asia, Europe) you come to understand that coffee taste is acquired and your favorite coffee is probably close to what you started drinking. I drink Starbucks coffee nearly everyday but I only drink coffee, so flavoring, no syrups, just coffee, and a 20 ounce (my own travel cup) costs me $2.01, including tax. Starbucks has one really positive aspect - every location has a consistant brew of Pike Place and this time of year Holilday Blend. Have I had coffee better than Starbucks, sure. Have I had coffee worse than Starbucks, you bet lots of it. For those with no international experience consider the price of a demitasse cup of "cafe'" in Paris after dinner: around $12. There is no reason for some one to denigrade Starbucks or the people who wish to purchase coffee there, or to attempt to impose their personally expenditure patterns on them. It's a free country so drink coffee (or not) whenever, wherever and however you choose.

Mary
December 11, 2012 at 1:58 pm

OVER RATED AND COULD POSSIBLY GET YOU SICK! Let me explain.
I was "hooked" on starbuck for over a year. I tried just about everything but loved the, Green tea, Chai Latté and the Caramel Macchiato iced and hot. Anyways, I frequented the Dyer and St. John locations at least four- five times per week and sometimes even twice in one given day. I spent average of 48.00 per week there. That was until my doctor and I put two and two together and realized the culprit to my constant never ending stomach and constant virus infections that I was getting. I didn't beleive my doctor, but figured it couldn't hurt if I stoped going for a month or so. I stoped frequenting them cold turkey on July 18, 2012. It took about a good 6 weeks to get back to normal between withdrawls and being sick (seriously)... needless to say, my doctor was right. I have not had any stomach problems, viral issues .... nothing. I drink coffees, teas at home so it has nothing to do with the type of drink. Our guess is the that the servers / staff are not cleaning the equipment properly, serving propery (sanitizing ) etc... Lord only knows what these people are drinking.... a real good load or expensive parasites.

Lurline
December 11, 2012 at 1:53 pm

Our family buys coffee from Peacecoffee.com for about $10.00 a pound, brews it in pots to share, and spends far less to make the world more just. ALL the coffee is fair trade, organic, shade grown and from cooperatives that support real people not multinational cooperations. By the way, it is great coffee!

Ken
December 11, 2012 at 1:27 pm

You got to be kidding, McDonalds, Sheets, and Drunken Donuts have them beat on price and flavor.

Desiree
December 11, 2012 at 12:48 pm

Rediculous! if they keep this up i wont buy there stuff anymore.

Art Snipes
December 11, 2012 at 12:48 pm

I love your coffee but I love my bank account more! GOODBUY.
I'll go to the local shop from now on. McDonalds is looking better.

mary
December 11, 2012 at 11:52 am

I wouldn't give Starbucks a penny of my money their coffee sucks!

BARRY
December 11, 2012 at 11:42 am

And a very pretty price for the robusta razz!

Michele
December 11, 2012 at 11:28 am

There is no way I will pay this...outraged!

Stevie
December 11, 2012 at 11:09 am

Tried to get in to the Starbucks craze some years back and found it too strong, too bitter, over priced and way over rated. They are known to practice predatory locating by coming in to communities and setting up shop very near local coffee shops in hopes to put them out of business. I support local businesses as that is the money that keeps a community strong!!