Wealth Blog

Finance Blogs » Wealth » Only the rich can buy this java

Only the rich can buy this java

By Judy Martel · Bankrate.com
Monday, December 10, 2012

Starbucks has always appealed to an upscale clientele -- after all, a $3 cup of coffee isn't exactly a bargain. But lately the company seems to be trying to attract the super-wealthy with its newest luxury offerings.

First, the company announced last week that 48 of its locations, mostly in Seattle and Portland, Ore., will offer a rare blend of java called "Costa Rica Finca Palmilera," for $7 a cup. The coffee requires a special, $11,000-brewing machine, which is why it's not yet available in all locations.

Should you become addicted to a daily dose of the expensive elixir, you could always support your habit by asking Santa for a Starbucks gift card. But for luxury-lovers, the typical plastic gift card just won't do -- instead, be sure to request the $450 card made of etched stainless steel. The card costs $50 to make and has $400 worth of purchasing value.

True luxury is not available to the masses and this card, available through Gilt.com, has a limited run of 5,000 through the holiday season. With it, you can enjoy about 57 of the most expensive cups of coffee and perhaps impress the baristas every time you swipe the stainless.

Keep up with your wealth and mortgages and follow me on Twitter.

Get more news, money-saving tips and expert advice by signing up for a free Bankrate newsletter.

johnny
December 10, 2012 at 7:04 pm

starbucks way OVER PRICED

Gerry Sheetoo
December 10, 2012 at 6:31 pm

Even if I could afford it, I doubt that it would taste significantly better than what I'd brew myself from stuff I purchased at my local supermarket. And, if I could afford it, I'd be pretty irked if it tasted WORST than my homebrew!

@June
December 10, 2012 at 6:16 pm

That's just not even true.

Tristan Robin
December 10, 2012 at 5:56 pm

I won't be drinking it every day, that's for sure. But, no question, when it becomes available in New Haven, I'm definitely going to give it a try out!

CL
December 10, 2012 at 5:55 pm

I find it funny that the people that are complaining about Starbucks pricing most likely think nothing of going to a restaurant and paying $12 for a glass of wine.

June
December 10, 2012 at 5:53 pm

Have you ever attempted to order a plain cup of coffee without any thing added at Starbucks it's not on the menu.

T
December 10, 2012 at 4:39 pm

People that buy that have too many dollars & not enough sense!!!

Tom
December 10, 2012 at 4:35 pm

STUPID,STUPID people if they are paying that much for a .50 cup of coffee.

B
December 10, 2012 at 4:24 pm

You people are ridiculous. If somebody wants to go buy a $7 cup of coffee why should you care? Oh because they didn't donate to charity? How do you know? When the rich donate and then tell people about it, you all then get on them for bragging. There are people capable of buying things for themselves and others you know...

Danny
December 10, 2012 at 12:36 pm

How many people will succumb to their own curiosity and spend the money just to try it? People splurge sometimes, even when perhaps they shouldn't. Starbucks is satisfying that urge. So what? I will not be trying it, but I will wonder how that coffee tastes.