Wealth Blog

Finance Blogs » Wealth » Only the rich can buy this java

Only the rich can buy this java

By Judy Martel · Bankrate.com
Monday, December 10, 2012

Starbucks has always appealed to an upscale clientele -- after all, a $3 cup of coffee isn't exactly a bargain. But lately the company seems to be trying to attract the super-wealthy with its newest luxury offerings.

First, the company announced last week that 48 of its locations, mostly in Seattle and Portland, Ore., will offer a rare blend of java called "Costa Rica Finca Palmilera," for $7 a cup. The coffee requires a special, $11,000-brewing machine, which is why it's not yet available in all locations.

Should you become addicted to a daily dose of the expensive elixir, you could always support your habit by asking Santa for a Starbucks gift card. But for luxury-lovers, the typical plastic gift card just won't do -- instead, be sure to request the $450 card made of etched stainless steel. The card costs $50 to make and has $400 worth of purchasing value.

True luxury is not available to the masses and this card, available through Gilt.com, has a limited run of 5,000 through the holiday season. With it, you can enjoy about 57 of the most expensive cups of coffee and perhaps impress the baristas every time you swipe the stainless.

Keep up with your wealth and mortgages and follow me on Twitter.

Get more news, money-saving tips and expert advice by signing up for a free Bankrate newsletter.

Erik
December 10, 2012 at 12:27 pm

I have to wonder if the coffee is even good, because that would be a really positive change for the coffee giant!

allison
December 10, 2012 at 12:24 pm

For Bill: "The lowest-income fifth (of the population) always give at more than their capacity," said Virginia Hodgkinson, former vice president for research at Independent Sector, a Washington-based association of major nonprofit agencies. "The next two-fifths give at capacity, and those above that are capable of giving two or three times more than they give."
And that lowest fifth has an average of 19,300 per year giving 4.4 percent of their income. Obama has nothing to do with it.

TK
December 10, 2012 at 12:16 pm

That is pathetic.. So many people are stuggling just to put food on thir tables. And Starbucks is now catering to the "Rich", making a drink just for the "Rich", How rediculous!!! Corporate Greed!!! I am now making my own coffee...

Carol
December 10, 2012 at 12:11 pm

This is a free country ( for now ) where you are allowed to spend the money you earn in anyway you please and no one else should give a rats ass how you throw it around. It really cracks me up that people are bagging about Starbucks and a cup of coffee, have you ever seen how much it costs to play a round of golf. I think I'm going to go stand in the grocery check out and tell poor people to put back the Cheetos and buy broccoli instead. Same thing people, mind your own business.
P.S. I make $30,000 a year.

Julie
December 10, 2012 at 11:37 am

I can think of better places to spend my money than in a coffee shop that over-charges for coffee that tastes like it burnt the beans prior to grinding them. I buy my Dunkin Donuts coffee or brew it at home to save money. With the money I save I give to charities, especially to the local soup kitchen and pantries. Never hear of Starbucks doing such things for the poor. I like and support companies like Panera Bread who go out and help the poor people and give back to the locals. There is more to life than just being "green". Starbucks...GROSS!!!

Lina
December 10, 2012 at 11:35 am

Very sad....with all the children who go to bed hungray every night in this very wealth country..........

Lina

Bill
December 10, 2012 at 11:32 am

Marj, most very wealthy people give to charity. Why do you think they don't, because Obama says so?

Janice Decker
December 10, 2012 at 11:27 am

I disagree that only the rich will buy the card. My husband and I visit Starbucks when we want to get away and have a quiet time for ourselves, it reminds us of the times we have spent with our sons and friends in Ca.We would visit more offen, but the only Starbucks near us closed and now we have to drive further, its so worth it, in fact if I purchased the card maybe we'd visit more. And I think it's a great idea to have the card in a different product instead of plastic. Living life to the fullest and having fun is part of life.

karen
December 10, 2012 at 11:06 am

Rich folks, plain and simply, HAVE MONEY to throw around. It is riduclous how these folks handle their money, if they themselves, handle it at all. Most have people who pay their bills, and balance their banking needs for them. They want and get the best of the best at all their costs. And they tipically dont care if other people have money or not. Although wonderful folks at heart, they have money and it is what it is.....some work hard for their money, some have never had a job and feed off "old money". If I had alot of money I would buy that card and show it off too. Acceptance is your best mindset. some people are poor and some are rich. And YES, MONEY does talk. which is why our Government is nothing but a huge MONEY MARKETing "how can we make more money for the rich"!! I voted for Ron Paul. HA!

Marj
December 10, 2012 at 10:52 am

Hasn't Starbucks ever heard of the audacity of conspicuous consumption and how that affects their reputation. Don't want to go into a Starbucks and watch someone throw their money around. Let them buy their own machine and make their coffee themselves where I don't have to watch their prideful audacity. What a "look at me" transaction! Have they ever been introduced to charity instead?