Wealth Blog

Finance Blogs » Wealth » Billionaire bachelors

Billionaire bachelors

By Judy Martel · Bankrate.com
Wednesday, January 1, 2014

Some of the richest men in the world don't appear to have heeded the sound of wedding bells. Perhaps they're too busy making money. The richest bachelor in the world, Microsoft cofounder Paul Allen, age 60, has an estimated net worth of $15.3 billion, according to Wealth-X.

The Seattle resident founded an investment firm, Vulcan Capital, and also owns the Seattle Seahawks football team and the Portland Trail Blazers basketball team.

Second on the list of richest billionaire bachelors is Italian fashion designer Giorgio Armani, 79, with an estimated net worth of $10.9 billion.

Those who made the top five in the list compiled by Wealth-X are confirmed bachelorsĀ -- none of them has ever been married. Whether money plays a part in that is uncertain, but David Friedman, president of Wealth-X, said that it's a challenge for the super-rich to find a soul mate who is not overly impressed by the money. "Against the backdrop of a proliferation of matchmaking TV shows and online services, meeting the right person is harder than ever," he noted.

Below is the list of the richest single guys:

The world's five richest bachelors

Rank Name Age Company Net worth
1 Paul Allen 60 Vulcan Capital $15.3 billion
2 Giorgio Armani 79 Giorgio Armani $10.9 billion
3 Mikhail Prokhorov 48 Brooklyn Nets $9.3 billion
4 Xavier Niel 46 Iliad $8 billion
5 David Geffen 70 Dreamworks Animation $6.6 billion

Source: Wealth-X

Keep up with your wealth and mortgages and follow me on Twitter.

Get more news, money-saving tips and expert advice by signing up for a free Bankrate newsletter.

Mrs. Norma
January 03, 2014 at 1:29 am

you men have everthing, Your missing children and grandchildren I'm blessed with 18 grandchildren. I thank God for them. I leave pay check to pay check, but I'm happy. Our christmas was 1 small gift each. But it was a blessing to be together. I wish you had the love of family it's beautiful, we have our ups and downs but were family. Again your blessed and lucky you have no financial problems. Hope you make lots more money.

Debora
January 02, 2014 at 10:40 pm

I totally agree with Ms. B for the gentlemen to stay single. Wealthy women too for that matter. Personally, I'm a single woman that lives paycheck to paycheck and I hear every day from men and women both that they are looking for someone with money so that they don't ever have to work anymore! I don't see how they can live with themselves. These days it's all about material things ! I don't believe that the more things you have, the better a person you are. I've met people from all walks of life and some are good some are bad. Honestly I haven't met too many wealthy people that were very nice so I don't surround myself with them. But I'm sure that they're that way because they have to keep their guard up because of all the people trying to get something out of them. With all the money in the world and they probably don't have true friends. So yes I would say, "Stay single!"

Linda.Reesor
January 02, 2014 at 10:34 pm

Iam 66 years old and I have no money nor do I wish to aquire any i would love to meet up with one of you guys and talk see a movie and play miniture golf. I do like to travel so i travel in groups on tour buses. It is cold today here in franklin ky and i am looking forward to spring. i grew up on a farm the farm is still in the family, but i helped my mother with the garden and canning everything we could can there was so many of us born it was hard times but we all still keep in touch even though we all have scattered here there and yonder. Take care Your Friend Linda

Bex
January 02, 2014 at 10:30 pm

1. Have you looked at his VERY jacked up teeth--looks like he owns bad breath.
2. No indication that he has ever been in a relationship.
3. Probably built his empire through organized crime.
4. Made his initial money with internet sex chat.
5. Gay

Any surprise these men are "confirmed" bachelors?

Colleen McFarlane
January 02, 2014 at 10:22 pm

Wonder if any of them would like to donate some to me. I have failing health and need surgery I can't afford. Three sisters out of work and on the verge or losing their homes and a niece and a nephew who can't get a student loan for college because their widowed Mother makes to much money. Not! She is barely surviving. Thought they will probably donate to a "worthy" cause.

Ms. O
January 02, 2014 at 10:14 pm

Hello:

Would like to meet someone that treat me like the lady I am.
Love to travel,make someone happy. A widow, grandmother. Have been told, you don't look your age. A down to earth lady that looks 10 or 15 yrs younger. It is in the heart
Ms. O

Lilja
January 02, 2014 at 10:12 pm

According to Wikipedia, Xavier Niel is married to Catherine Niel and has 2 children... darn, he's the only one I would actually consider marrying. He looks nice.

Ms. B
January 02, 2014 at 10:05 pm

Stay single guys. Society dictates marriage. Why conform? Money ruins it. Either too much or too little. When you find someone that doesn't want marriage or money, they just want to be with you, then you will find the greatest riches of the world that no amount of money (or lack of it) compares to.

Mary
January 02, 2014 at 10:03 pm

Some men out there are after woman's money too......

Roger