Personal Finance Advice and Commentary

Friday, July 15, 2011 9:00 am
By Jay MacDonald · Bankrate.com

Good news and bad news on flood insurance this week. The good news: The House overwhelmingly approved a bill that would reauthorize the National Flood Insurance Program for five whole years. The bad news: It would bump the annual rate increase limit from 10 percent to 20 percent. House passage of the Flood Insurance Reform

Friday, May 27, 2011 9:00 am
By Jay MacDonald · Bankrate.com

First, the good news: The end-of-the-world predictions of an octogenarian minister did not come to pass last weekend. The bad news? The violent tornadoes that followed may mark the end of homeowners insurance rates as we know them. Property and casualty insurers were already bracing for record losses from the winter-spring double weather whammy when

Saturday, June 26, 2010 10:00 am
By Jay MacDonald · Bankrate.com

At the risk of incurring the wrath of those who feel otherwise, let me politely suggest that we refrain from the use of personal fireworks this Fourth of July, both for the sake of our homeowners insurance rates and the safety of those around us. I know, I know: What about the rockets’ red glare?

Saturday, June 19, 2010 9:00 am
By Jay MacDonald · Bankrate.com

What’s better than one health insurance policy?  Why, dual coverage, of course, as typically happens when both spouses sign on for group coverage through their respective employers. In theory, dual coverage should eliminate most out-of-pocket expenses; the primary insurer would typically pick up 80 percent, the secondary insurer (the spouse’s carrier) the remaining 20 percent. But

Tuesday, May 25, 2010 5:07 pm
By Jay MacDonald · Bankrate.com

Here on Florida’s Gulf Coast, we sit and wait and wonder: Will our homeowners insurance absorb some of the sticky, smelly loss should the BP oil spill soil our property? Floridians are used to dealing with a boatful of home insurance coverages that indemnify us against the perils of paradise: federal flood insurance, hurricane coverage,