Is the Olympic theme song stuck in your head like a continuous loop of triumphance throughout your day? Me too, and it makes me want to dash outside and run a four-minute mile. But I say, if you can't swim two miles in three minutes, maybe you can compete in your financial life. Here are five things that will help you do that today.
1. Those London Olympic athletes go for the gold, the glory ... and the tax bill? Olympians who represent team USA owe taxes on their winnings. (You: One win for not owing this tax.) Here's how one senator is trying to give Olympic winners a tax break.
2. The unemployment report might make your face sag, but there are still jobs where you're in high demand. You: One win for gaining a job with a paycheck.
3. No matter what your bills amount to, you probably think they're too high. Snag an easy win by checking out these nine car insurance discounts. You: One win for sticking it to the car insurance company.
4. If you're not saving and investing for retirement, you'll never win at having the best golden years. Here's what our personal finance adviser has to say about sticking to an investment recipe. You: One win for being the coolest in the retirement home who can still pop wheelies.
5. You lent money to a friend to buy a car. He didn't pay back, but there are ways you can make him pay up. You: One win for asserting your dominance -- and getting your money back.