Remember when you were a little tyke, not a care in the world until that jerkwad bully came around and requested your lunch in exchange for a knuckle sandwich? Remember how after you'd whine about it to your dad, he would advise, "Shop before you take the first loan you're offered"? Bankrate remembers. And while that advice always had questionable results when you were child, it can sure come in handy when you put on your big-boy pants and buy a home. This and more fond childhood memories, today on Bankrate.com.
1. Looking to buy a home? We at Bankrate believe Dad knows best. That's why we've made a slideshow of advice he'd probably give, thus saving you from an uncomfortable phone call.
2. So good ol' Dad wasn't enough to convince you? Sometimes advice travels best through the words of a stranger. We've collected the stories of three strangers who have recently bought homes.
3. Food trucks are all the rage these days. They combine the speed of a fast food restaurant, the convenience of a hot dog cart and the delicious quality of a gourmet sit-down restaurant. Having one roll into your wedding is a frugal no-brainer!
4. Imagine how hilarious "Willy Wonka & the Chocolate Factory" would have been if Charlie Bucket had lost his ticket on the way home to Grandpa Joe's. Yes, the movie would be even darker and only about 15 minutes long, but still hilarious. Here's the story of a woman who lost her $656 million lottery ticket.
5. The tax miseducation of Lauryn Hill? When the modern world started "killing her softly," the Grammy Award-winning singer went off the grid. But the gridless still need to pay taxes, particularly if they earn $1.8 million, the IRS says.