Retirement Blog

Finance Blogs » Retirement » What do retirees do all day?

What do retirees do all day?

By Jennie L. Phipps · Bankrate.com
Wednesday, July 4, 2012

In my neighborhood, the parade starts shortly. Happy July Fourth to everyone.

Many people call this Independence Day. I like that because it has a special significance for those of us who are retired or nearing retirement and the freedom it brings to spend more time doing the things we like to do.

Here are some key findings about how people older than 65 spend their days, according the Bureau of Labor Statistics' analysis of "American Time Use." Factor these numbers into your retirement planning.

Having fun. On an average day, 75 percent of people older than 75 spent 7.4 hours engaged in sports and leisure activities. People 65 and older spend 6.9 hours. How many are playing more than one round?

Phone calls and email. People 65 and older spend an average of 24 minutes communicating via phone or email. That's a low estimate of those activities at my house.

Eating and drinking. People 65 and older, including those older than 75, spend an average of one hour and 48 minutes at the table. I wonder if that counts cocktail hour.

Working. No surprises here: People 65 and older spend one hour and 45 minutes working, while those 75 and older devote only 25 minutes to work.

Household chores. I'm amazed this number is so high: an average of two hours and 43 minutes for people age 65 and up. How much vacuuming can one person do?

Shopping. Ninety minutes for people 65 and older and 83 minutes for those 75 and older. Looks like retail therapy still works no matter what your age.

How do you spend your time in retirement?

Enjoy your holiday.

Hallene
July 16, 2012 at 4:29 am

I wish that I was able to still work. But, because of health problems I am unable to work anymore, and I am 77 yrs. old now.
I did work for 5 yrs. after I retired.

Joe Langone
July 15, 2012 at 11:30 pm

If there was any way possible for me to work( Injuries Plus

The Economy) I would do it in a heartbeat. Why anyone would want

to retire is something I could never understand. I was always

very lucky Loved my Work and loved getting up early to do it.

Great to be able to earn money and not to be worried about living

on a fixed income and worrying about what is happening to the

money you invested in for when you are forced to retire

Hallene
July 15, 2012 at 7:42 pm

I get up around 8:00 or 9:00 A.M. Get my breakfast ready while &
watch CBN or FOX news. Wash my dishes, take a shower, feed my bird & clean his cage. Clean apt. if needed. Pay my bills when
needed. Go Grocery & other shopping once or twice a week, for 2 or 3 hours. I am retired so I can take my time & look for bargains.
Work in my garden usually every other day if needed for one to four hours. Visit with neighbors while I am out there. They always stop by to chat,not to help. LOL
I might take a nap in my recliner after working in the yard while watching TV. I do cook my dinner. I don't eat TV dinner's

ARTHUR BURRIS
July 13, 2012 at 5:13 pm

Time flies and months go by like days fast and faster, You have no time to do anything but eat and sleep.. but ITS GREAT

MiMiPLR
July 11, 2012 at 8:02 pm

When people ask my husband and me what we do all day, we have a stock answer. "Anything we want to do!" Every day is Saturday! We love being retired, and were able to retire early. God has truly blessed us.

peanut
July 11, 2012 at 3:58 pm

Dumbest article I have read in a long, long time. Cannot think of a single retiree who begins to live this way.

Angela
July 10, 2012 at 9:33 pm

The hours spend doing household chores will be higher because the retirees are now home more than when they were working - just like how a SAHM spends more time doing housework than a mum that works outside the home.

bill
July 10, 2012 at 8:27 pm

I spend a good part of the day SLEEPING, I have been retired for 3 years.

Steve Lopez
July 10, 2012 at 7:27 pm

7-11 Feeding animals; Horses,chickens, goats and wildbirds, water plants, other chores
11-4 inside: read emails, try to organize my den but get sidetracked reading my stuff: Books I've aqquired in 37 yrs of teaching Science but have not had a chance to really READ!
4-7 Repeat 7-11 stuff and anything else I want to do. Oh yeah, Drink lots of BEER!!
8-10 Eat a great dinner that wife made (loves to cook), get ready for night activities!!!

RETIREMENT IS GREAT!!!!!!

Mike
July 10, 2012 at 7:50 am

Boy, some people seem to have lost their sense of humor in their old age.