Retirement Blog

Finance Blogs » Retirement » Readers speak on Social Security

Readers speak on Social Security

By Jennie L. Phipps · Bankrate.com
Tuesday, November 12, 2013

The announcement that Social Security's 2014 cost of living adjustment, or COLA, will be 1.5 percent generated about 50 comments on the retirement planning blog on this topic. Many of them were angry assertions that the government has mismanaged Social Security. In other cases, the commenter misunderstood the facts. Here is a round-up of more thoughtful opinions. You might not agree with what they have to say, but they say it well.

Philip:

"Government gives us a big raise of 1.5 percent. That is BS. Where do they go shopping for food? I live on my Social Security, which is low, so I am considered poor. What does government do? It lowers food stamps. Can the big shots live on this amount? It's time for all Americans to run these thieves out of town."

Ruthanne:

"I am just scared. At 78, I rely on every penny, and I feel I am at the mercy of the government. I don't believe I can do anything about it. It is just a very stressful time."

Millie:

"I worked and paid into the Social Security Fund almost 45 years. As a retiree, Social Security represents the major part of my income. I would gladly 'make do' without any increase if it would help our country to become solvent. Our greatest need is for government to stop excessive spending and focus on growing the economy, which would create jobs so able-bodied people could be working to support their families and paying taxes. My greatest concern is that future generations will have to live on much less as they pay for the problems we've created. Hopefully, someday problems will be solved by working together without regard to political views."

End the Ponzi scheme:

"Stop calling Social Security a retirement plan. It's not. It's a backstop to prevent the elderly from starving. If you really don't plan for your retirement, why should I have to support your 'lifestyle' in retirement? It's outright theft if you increase the tax with no comparable benefit increase."

SunshineladyI:

"Well, a little bit of something is better than a whole lot of nothing. I'm thankful for the extra $19 a month."

What do you think about Social Security and the 1.5 percent 2014 cost of living adjustment?

Anne Latella
November 13, 2013 at 11:01 pm

Social Security increases are based on the CPI. which is 3.2percent. Social Security increase is only 1.5 percent.
Isn't it bad enough the government helped themselves to 718 billion Medicare funds? These funds were already taxed on the employees gross income. This money belongs entirely to the people whose payroll check it was deducted from. This is once again outright theft since the government keeps putting in worthless IOU's which they have never and will never pay back into the fund. How about they out their pension fund money onto Medicare and continue to borrow from their Pension finds which we the taxpayer also pay for as well as their healthcare. I guess if you work for the government it is not necessary to have a conscious. To take or not to take the peoples rightful earnings?

marie smullen
November 13, 2013 at 10:42 pm

Yes all Americans are being riped off by our goverment with Social Security. If only they had to live on what they think we shoud live with, you would see a big increase. Our govermnet spends more of our hard earnd money on immigrants who do not pay in taxes Our Goverment has throughout the years taken money out of Social Security and never paid it back. Our Goverment also spends millions on foreign countries who just fight one another, never stops. Social Security for most Amecians was earned throught many years of hard working people. We the people put into Social Security. If Social Security only went to people who worked & put into it,there would be plenty for thoes who live long enough to retire.

barbara
November 13, 2013 at 10:39 pm

am 75 worked and paid into social security for over 50 years I am still working at 75 and still pay into social security do not mind paying but the raise is a slap in the face to all of us there are a lot of seniors still working and paying so don't say social security is going broke and that seniors are using it all up get real people

Lilly Bennett
November 13, 2013 at 9:49 pm

I just don't think the government should play with Social Security, it is our income from years of paying into it. We don't live luxurious. We have to pay our utilities and food and other neccesities out of that money. We don't get free gas or a free car or any other perks like the government get. I would love for one of them to live on our income for even just 1 month.

social Security

Brenda
November 13, 2013 at 9:35 pm

What ever happened to "for the people, by the people and of the people". Where is the Leadership of the greatest country in the world. We have a government that can't even work and negotiate together or solve problems anymore. WHAT THE HECK HAPPENED TO AMERICA? As for Social Security - if they gave a refund to the seniors for all the money they paid into Social Security over a 45 or 50 year career with at least a 1% interest rate. The Seniors could successfully invest and take care of their own retirement planning and not have to depend on the Government for the monthly stipends. That could eliminate an entire Government Branch and save this country billions of dollars. In our Constitution the only thing our forefathers thought the Government's obligation was to collect taxes and provide national security for this country. What Happened?

Andrea Scott
November 13, 2013 at 9:33 pm

Congress cost us $24 billion when they shut down the Government,they should have to pay some kind of penalty. I Know, they should be forced to live on my Social Security and have my medicare coverage.LETS VOTE THE REPUBLICANS OUT OF OFFICE

Joseph Parslow
November 13, 2013 at 9:32 pm

It's time to "means test" the folks living "on the dole".Let us try to help the poor from starving but, at the same time, why must we supplement millionaires who are living on golf courses? Of course I realize that "they also paid into the system" but, let's face it - SSI is an Insurance Deal NOT a retirement benefit. So If you have done well in this country - BE THANKFUL. And let the ones who need the benefit have it. Now,how 'bout we discuss the "disability" scam?

Andrea Scott
November 13, 2013 at 9:31 pm

Congress cost us $24 billion when they shut down the Government,they should have to pay some kind of penalty. I Know they should be forced to live on my Social Security and have my medicare coverage. Come on folks lets vote these Republicans out of office. W

joan Hogan
November 13, 2013 at 9:15 pm

Social Security has TOO MANY Dishonest Employees Working For them. Region I Is the Worst.

Rapunzel
November 13, 2013 at 8:51 pm

I really have a problem with all that complaining The majority of Americans complain about the high taxes and about the deficit. On the other hand they want more benefits like more social security. Before bad mouthing the politicians remember that they were elected by the people and we are being told that we have the best democracy there is.
If you would like more in you SS check, vote for people who don't promise you more benefits and at the same time reduce your taxes. If you vote for smaller government and lower taxes, don't expect more in your SS check.