Retirement Blog

Finance Blogs » Retirement » Readers speak on Social Security

Readers speak on Social Security

By Jennie L. Phipps · Bankrate.com
Tuesday, November 12, 2013

The announcement that Social Security's 2014 cost of living adjustment, or COLA, will be 1.5 percent generated about 50 comments on the retirement planning blog on this topic. Many of them were angry assertions that the government has mismanaged Social Security. In other cases, the commenter misunderstood the facts. Here is a round-up of more thoughtful opinions. You might not agree with what they have to say, but they say it well.

Philip:

"Government gives us a big raise of 1.5 percent. That is BS. Where do they go shopping for food? I live on my Social Security, which is low, so I am considered poor. What does government do? It lowers food stamps. Can the big shots live on this amount? It's time for all Americans to run these thieves out of town."

Ruthanne:

"I am just scared. At 78, I rely on every penny, and I feel I am at the mercy of the government. I don't believe I can do anything about it. It is just a very stressful time."

Millie:

"I worked and paid into the Social Security Fund almost 45 years. As a retiree, Social Security represents the major part of my income. I would gladly 'make do' without any increase if it would help our country to become solvent. Our greatest need is for government to stop excessive spending and focus on growing the economy, which would create jobs so able-bodied people could be working to support their families and paying taxes. My greatest concern is that future generations will have to live on much less as they pay for the problems we've created. Hopefully, someday problems will be solved by working together without regard to political views."

End the Ponzi scheme:

"Stop calling Social Security a retirement plan. It's not. It's a backstop to prevent the elderly from starving. If you really don't plan for your retirement, why should I have to support your 'lifestyle' in retirement? It's outright theft if you increase the tax with no comparable benefit increase."

SunshineladyI:

"Well, a little bit of something is better than a whole lot of nothing. I'm thankful for the extra $19 a month."

What do you think about Social Security and the 1.5 percent 2014 cost of living adjustment?

chris
November 13, 2013 at 8:49 pm

This goverment does not care about anyone but themselves.the reason they are where they are at is because they are such good liars.They are like most lawers that u get to work for u because they can twist everything and make a lie become truth. None of them in Washington is worth the money it would take to buy gunpowder to blow them to hell and back.

Michael Hall
November 13, 2013 at 8:45 pm

This retirement blog is a sham

Lowell Hardwick
November 13, 2013 at 8:35 pm

So, the S.S. benefit went up 1.5%. How much has the Medicare insurance Part A & Part
B gone up? Only $19????? Are you sure????

Julie Rowe
November 13, 2013 at 8:32 pm

I must say that I am ashamed of the way the United States treats their disabled and seniors. You don't know what to expect until you are disabled and need medication that these so-called Medicare complete plans don't cover enough. The cost of living increase won't pay for my brand name medications and the two most important meds that I take are keeping me alive. AARP is another ripoff. They should be ashamed of recommending United Health Care for Medicare people. I was an AARP member for 3 years and they never did anything for me. I can't afford to go out to eat and get a discount from them. I can't afford to take vacations and get a discount from them. This cost of living is a joke. I would love to see some of these Congressmen and Senators live on what a disabled person lives on.

George
November 13, 2013 at 8:24 pm

The pres and his congress have no problems living like Kings while people who have put money into the System for 40 or 50 Years are being treated like Freeloaders. THe SS Money is sure being use for the Pres and Congress to live the Great Life in retirement.

reatter
November 13, 2013 at 8:21 pm

what happened to all the funds borrowed from social security and never paid back. i've worked since age 12, 34 plus yrs on 1 jobs always worked 2 or 3 jobs 1 full plus 1 or 2 part times.iam 73 plus i am blessed .paid into medic care from the start .too many people never put anything in, now feel they are owed something.

barbara
November 13, 2013 at 8:04 pm

Social security the way I always thought was for retirement....not to be used for anything else......what about the 130 million that has been sent out to deceased people....and Medicare what a joke...why should we have to pay out of our monthly check's?the raise doesn't even cover this expense... everyone that get's less than 700.00 a month should get at least a 50.00 increase...per month....

Doug Morey
November 13, 2013 at 7:30 pm

Everyone seems to agree that 1.5% does very little for us as individuals. Perhaps it's a year each and everyone of of us should donate what do receive to the survivors of the natural disasters we've witnessed here in our homeland this year.

What an alternative to complaing about it!!

moodylou
November 13, 2013 at 7:26 pm

Several things to remember - Congress and the Senate don't pay for very much in the way of living expenses, and also remember that they managed to exclude themselves from Obamacare, because as worthless as they are they are not stupid enough to tie themselves to a dead weight; when trying to find affordable housing, most places and government programs such as Section 8 work on your GROSS income, not the net which is all we have to spend; we have Medicare, but it's not free for everything, we pay at least $110.00 per month and we get the least amount of help on the most expensive things, which are medicines.

Shaera
November 13, 2013 at 7:24 pm

The CPI-W is determined by the Bureau of Labor Statistics in the Department of Labor. By law, it is the official measure used by the Social Security Administration to calculate COLAs. Not the President, not even Congress (who I hate giving a break to on anything).