Retirement Blog

Finance Blogs » Retirement » Readers speak on Social Security

Readers speak on Social Security

By Jennie L. Phipps · Bankrate.com
Tuesday, November 12, 2013

The announcement that Social Security's 2014 cost of living adjustment, or COLA, will be 1.5 percent generated about 50 comments on the retirement planning blog on this topic. Many of them were angry assertions that the government has mismanaged Social Security. In other cases, the commenter misunderstood the facts. Here is a round-up of more thoughtful opinions. You might not agree with what they have to say, but they say it well.

Philip:

"Government gives us a big raise of 1.5 percent. That is BS. Where do they go shopping for food? I live on my Social Security, which is low, so I am considered poor. What does government do? It lowers food stamps. Can the big shots live on this amount? It's time for all Americans to run these thieves out of town."

Ruthanne:

"I am just scared. At 78, I rely on every penny, and I feel I am at the mercy of the government. I don't believe I can do anything about it. It is just a very stressful time."

Millie:

"I worked and paid into the Social Security Fund almost 45 years. As a retiree, Social Security represents the major part of my income. I would gladly 'make do' without any increase if it would help our country to become solvent. Our greatest need is for government to stop excessive spending and focus on growing the economy, which would create jobs so able-bodied people could be working to support their families and paying taxes. My greatest concern is that future generations will have to live on much less as they pay for the problems we've created. Hopefully, someday problems will be solved by working together without regard to political views."

End the Ponzi scheme:

"Stop calling Social Security a retirement plan. It's not. It's a backstop to prevent the elderly from starving. If you really don't plan for your retirement, why should I have to support your 'lifestyle' in retirement? It's outright theft if you increase the tax with no comparable benefit increase."

SunshineladyI:

"Well, a little bit of something is better than a whole lot of nothing. I'm thankful for the extra $19 a month."

What do you think about Social Security and the 1.5 percent 2014 cost of living adjustment?

BigG
November 13, 2013 at 7:20 pm

I have been seriously disabled for 20 years now. After being dumped on the tax payers for my work injury by bad Worksmanscomp and for profit Insurance companies. I wonder what the real number like me is on SSDI.
The GOP has raided the Social Security pool many times and many forget to remember that this was a separate tax "Workers" paid to the fund.
Every Congressman, Senator and President George W Bush Jr. should be ashamed. People are hurting and both sides use this tactic when running for office. STOP IT NOW.
I would like to say what I really feel, but would probably get locked up. Finally, the 70 million people on Social Security better be afraid if the GOP does become majority soon, the reason is SS will be gone and your hard earned money that yes you help build America with your pain and commitment will go un noticed. This is very scary people. Do you homework people and don't listen to TV ads or what is written in the paper. Vote with your common sense. God I love our Country but dislike how our leaders have become.

carol
November 13, 2013 at 7:10 pm

what ever happened to the mail outs we used to get that said how much $ we would get if we were retired now?. if they keep raising the retirement age , I may never get to retire..hahaha

Corrine Bergeron
November 13, 2013 at 7:09 pm

Whose pockets are getting all the extra money. There is all kinds of money in the government for grants and for just about anything in that field that you want. My husband was a vet but didn't serve in a war. He served right before Viet Nam. He can't get any benefits and is now deceased. He gets a flag on his grave every year and I only get half his benefits as far as Social Security even though he held the same job for 34 years. It is getting harder and harder to live on this money with the way prices go up but a nineteen dollar a month raise is supposed to cover all our needs. The government should be ashamed of themselves for taking and taking and never giving back.

Debra
November 13, 2013 at 7:08 pm

I think it is an absolute disgrace what is being done to us senior citizens. Can the big wigs in the government live on a 1.5 increase. Cut back their salaries and benefits and give us senior citizens a break.

John Pappas
November 13, 2013 at 6:57 pm

As we all can see that both parties are failing the American people. It is over time to take back our country . I am not going to sit here and count the ways. Any fool can see the mess we are in.1.5% raise. Don't make me laugh. All of the bums that don't want to work for a living have to eat. Never let it be said that my social security check didn't pay for their rent food babies and dope. I worked a lot of years and worked hard for my SS. I resent those rats in Washington giving my hard earned money to people that are too lazy to earn a living And offering me pennies like handing a dog a bone.

James
November 13, 2013 at 6:50 pm

I AGREE WITH MARTHA,

Rob
November 13, 2013 at 6:47 pm

we have no leadership congress men make 200,000 a year for what they do nothing there all crooks with payola graph the government needs to be cleaned out.

Jacque
November 13, 2013 at 6:44 pm

the 1.5-1.7% raise is misleading. Medicare gets a percentage.
My wife and I realized $13.00 which is about .8%

Governmentsuxs
November 13, 2013 at 6:22 pm

The government taxes you and your employer out of this money in the first place then they tax you to give your money back. That sounds like whant should be happening with congressioal retirement at about a 60% level.

Martha
November 13, 2013 at 6:18 pm

When was the last time congress gave themselves a 1.5% raise. They usually give themselves 4-5% every year, and that probably comes out of the social security retirement fund. If that fund had been left alone and not used as general funds to help in balancing the budget there would have been plenty, with interest, for many generations to come. Congress needs to be put on the same retirement as most citizens. When their term is up any medical, retirement income,etc. should end for them.