Retirement Blog

Finance Blogs » Retirement » Medicare fees rise for 2013

Medicare fees rise for 2013

By Jennie L. Phipps · Bankrate.com
Monday, November 19, 2012

Medicare is raising its 2013 fees. Factor this into your retirement planning. Let's start with the easy stuff that doesn't affect many people living in retirement.

Medicare Part A. Very few people pay a Part A premium. As long as you worked for 40 quarters or 10 years or are married to someone who did, you're entitled to this coverage at no additional charge. Medicare Part A covers inpatient hospital stays, care in a skilled nursing facility, hospice care and some home health care. (Don't be confused. Part A doesn't cover nursing home care.) If you're part of the 1 percent required to pay, the 2013 Part A premium is decreasing to $441, down from $451 in 2012.

Medicare Part A deductible, which everybody is responsible for, is rising 2.4 percent to $1,184. You'll be charged this every time you're admitted to the hospital. Many people have a Medigap insurance policy or are enrolled in a Medicare Advantage insurance plan that pays this fee.

Medicare Part B premium, which is automatically deducted monthly from everyone's Social Security payments, is rising $5 per month from $99.90 to $104.90.  The Medicare Part B deductible will rise to $147 in 2013, from $140. Part B covers doctors' services, outpatient care, medical supplies and preventive services. Medigap and Medicare Advantage plans cover the Part B deductible.

If you have very low income, you may qualify through your state Medicaid program for help paying Part B premiums and the Part A deductible. There is also a Medicare-managed program known as Extra Help that will help you pay Part D prescription drug expenses. Whether you qualify for all or part of this assistance depends on your income.

If your 2011 income was above $85,000 a year ($170,000 filing jointly) you'll be charged more for Part B.  These premium adjustments range from $42 to $230.80 per month, depending on how much you make. If your income has changed since you paid your 2011 taxes, you can ask the government to recalculate.

A C (LO) Godsey
January 11, 2013 at 4:50 pm

My view is SS has no problem, it's the 30 plus welfare programs attached to the
original SS plan that is draining the fund. Said programs should be removed
, called what they are and, if worthy, be funded accordingly.

JD
January 11, 2013 at 4:16 pm

I am wondering if ss and medicare are going broke. Why they don't put us in ther insurance plan. we been paying this all our life they pay nonthing. and it is not going broke.

Chuck
January 11, 2013 at 10:22 am

When i had to go to a cash checking place there be a long line of people.
when i asked the guy what this was he told me there getting there ss checks as i looked at them i got angry, seeing most were drug users and and in there 20's i am 64 on Disabilty from heart attack and my wife is 61.
My wife has extreme pain in her leg we are rising are two grand children since birth 5yr old and 3 yr old we live on $17,700 a year , child subport there in rears $9,000 well went to welfare tryed to get help for my wife i was told no because i am on Disabilty it is crazy. there should be a screening of these people getting it free.

Tim
January 11, 2013 at 7:21 am

I was under the impression the @*# you elected president was going to save us working stiffs!! What happened? No tax increase if you make less than $250,000.00, well I make approximately 40K and my paycheck went down. This was due to increase in SS tax. I would not mind giving that extra money to my mother but to give it to a bunch of egotistical nobs pisses me off! Mr. President(makes me sick to call you that) RESIGN, please get the hell out!

NEW TO THIS RIP OFF
January 10, 2013 at 6:02 pm

what about the additional cost of the IRMAA? No one has mentioned that cost?

Paula
January 10, 2013 at 1:59 pm

I received a notice that my disability is up 1.7% I am totally disabled from an accident now because of higher fees it disappears!
I know our government needs more income but taking it off the backs of the poorest among Americans seems a bit much to me. I think all of the druggers and drunks should never been allowed to get it(disability in the first place)
I have a nephew in Enfield,CT who has nothing wrong with him at all and he gets full disability.Everyone who is on disability should be looked at case by case and taken OFF if they can but refuse to work. There are jobs out there!

Edith M. Decker
January 10, 2013 at 1:33 pm

My total for Med. A & B will be 104.90.

But, I would like to know why the amount 2.40% is NOT correct? I called Social Security and was told me "they NEVER round up". I went back a few years and noticed this policy has been going on forever. WHO IS GETTING THAT MONEY (WHIC IS ALOT) WHEN YOU THINK THE AMOUNT OF PEOPLE GETTING SOCIAL SECURITY. I really would like a truthfull response.

Taxpayer in FL
January 10, 2013 at 1:31 pm

I am 57 years old and have worked for the past 35 years. I have a sister who is a year older than me and hasn't worked a day in her life but has been collecting disability for nearly 40 years. Oh by the way, she is able-bodied and supplements her social security with drug money. I believe that ALL those collecting social security that aren't mentally or physically handicapped should have mandatory drug tests each month in order to receive our taxpayer dollars!

Jack McConnell
January 10, 2013 at 12:46 pm

The amount deducted from Social Security payments for Part B Insurance for 2013 is $99.90 (not$104.90 as in the article) which is up $5.00 from the 2012 deduction of $94.90.

Barbara
December 25, 2012 at 6:55 am

Replying to huntsman,
I hope you meant to say 'colonoscopy'; otherwise, you would probably have paid $35,000. 2013 will be my first year on Medicare, & although I did a lot of research, I am sure it is going to be quite a learning curve.