Retirement Blog

Finance Blogs » Retirement » Medicare fees rise for 2013

Medicare fees rise for 2013

By Jennie L. Phipps · Bankrate.com
Monday, November 19, 2012

Medicare is raising its 2013 fees. Factor this into your retirement planning. Let's start with the easy stuff that doesn't affect many people living in retirement.

Medicare Part A. Very few people pay a Part A premium. As long as you worked for 40 quarters or 10 years or are married to someone who did, you're entitled to this coverage at no additional charge. Medicare Part A covers inpatient hospital stays, care in a skilled nursing facility, hospice care and some home health care. (Don't be confused. Part A doesn't cover nursing home care.) If you're part of the 1 percent required to pay, the 2013 Part A premium is decreasing to $441, down from $451 in 2012.

Medicare Part A deductible, which everybody is responsible for, is rising 2.4 percent to $1,184. You'll be charged this every time you're admitted to the hospital. Many people have a Medigap insurance policy or are enrolled in a Medicare Advantage insurance plan that pays this fee.

Medicare Part B premium, which is automatically deducted monthly from everyone's Social Security payments, is rising $5 per month from $99.90 to $104.90.  The Medicare Part B deductible will rise to $147 in 2013, from $140. Part B covers doctors' services, outpatient care, medical supplies and preventive services. Medigap and Medicare Advantage plans cover the Part B deductible.

If you have very low income, you may qualify through your state Medicaid program for help paying Part B premiums and the Part A deductible. There is also a Medicare-managed program known as Extra Help that will help you pay Part D prescription drug expenses. Whether you qualify for all or part of this assistance depends on your income.

If your 2011 income was above $85,000 a year ($170,000 filing jointly) you'll be charged more for Part B.  These premium adjustments range from $42 to $230.80 per month, depending on how much you make. If your income has changed since you paid your 2011 taxes, you can ask the government to recalculate.

Wil May
December 19, 2012 at 12:56 am

I voted for President Obama and prould that I got a second chance to vote for him. Some people are chronic complianter but never compliant about supporting unjust wars with their tax dollars. Remember, a vote for President Obama, is a vote for the people. Also,forget the past smile at the present, and look into the future-everything is going to be OK.

JERRY
December 17, 2012 at 12:34 am

My premium for Medicare Part B in 2010 was $110.50, in 2011 it was $115.40, in 2012 it was $99.90 a reduction of $15.50 from 2011, and now in 2013 it will be $104.90 which is still less than 2010.
I do not understand why people are concerned about the $5.00 increase from the 2012 rate of $99.90 to the 2013 rate of $104.90 when the rate in 2011 was $115.90 which means we will be paying $11 less than we did in 2011.

bob
December 14, 2012 at 7:36 pm

If you did you vote for Obama , you get what you deserve ; suck it up ; now we all have to pay for your stupid choice !

g
December 14, 2012 at 7:16 pm

I think all the boomers should retire....even early...clear the coffers and let the chips fall...those with skills will have, those who know how to work will have,,not much but more than the rest!

Diana
December 14, 2012 at 4:42 pm

All I can say is don't get old, don't get sick, don't stop
working. All in all -never finally retire and enjoy "The
Golden Years." HA! It's a Wonderful Life. Bull S--t.

Pamela
December 14, 2012 at 2:05 pm

Ummm.....my medicare went up $20.00 not $5.00. I supposedly received a 1.7% increase but with the extra cost of Medicare I am now making less money.

Queen
December 14, 2012 at 12:38 pm

Everyone complains.Sure! What's there NOT to complain about? Solutions? Everyone ALLWAYS says the same old phrase,"What can we do?...We're just the LITTLE guys." When/IF we ever get the courage of our forefathers or lose our FEAR,I'm sure a solution to our problems will come forth. So ,for now,as long as it feels good,do it....COMPLAIN!

jhuntsman
December 14, 2012 at 8:03 am

I cannot believe what I am reading. I turned 60 in 2012 and am a Healthcare Provider (Nurse). I don't even anticipate collecting Medicare until I can't walk or breath anymore. I am also uninsured because I cannot get hired to a full time position which includes health insurance. (29 interviews in 19 months and no call backs..could it be my age?) Have any of you whinners paid, out of your own pocket, just to walk into your doctors office? Then have you had to pay for your own medication at list price? Don't forget Lab Work (around $60.00 per test) and then there is the Annuals (Gynecologist, Mammogram, Colostomy). I have spent, to date, just this year, including new trifocal eyeglasses in five years, over $3,500. Thank goodness I'm not sick!

Pedro Estrada
December 13, 2012 at 2:41 pm

I predicted to all persons I know that stated they would vote for Obama that it was a bad decision and they would regret it. now they have the next four years to regret their vote, This is just a start more is comming. and its just what they deserve. freebies are not free.

Sharon Ann
December 13, 2012 at 9:49 am

I would hope that everyone complaining about the rising Medicare costs, the Social Security "borrowing," increased insurance rates, reduction in FSA maximum contributions, etc., etc., did not vote for Obama because this is exactly what the GOP said was going to happen if you elected him again. Surprise, surprise! It's happening, so choke on your vote Democrats!