Retirement Blog

Finance Blogs » Retirement » Clint Eastwood makes my day

Clint Eastwood makes my day

By Jennie L. Phipps · Bankrate.com
Tuesday, June 17, 2014

At 84, Clint Eastwood isn't sitting on his laurels, taking naps and complaining about his Social Security. He's still in the game and an inspiration for anybody worried about growing old.

This week, ahead of the release of his latest movie, "Jersey Boys," he offered The Associated Press this retirement planning advice: "If you tell yourself, 'I'm too old to do that,' bulls---, you're not too old to do anything."

© Randy Miramontez/Shutterstock.com

To direct, 'you can be 21 or 81'

Age has made him a better director, Eastwood says. "You have more experience as you get older. You have more to draw on, as long as you don't lose your faculties. You can play on that if you're lucky enough genetically or you take good enough care of yourself, or a combination of the two. You can go ahead and experiment with things. There's so many different stories to tell out there. You can be 21 or 81."

It isn't the first time Eastwood has talked about retirement and the challenges of aging in Hollywood. “Everybody wonders why I continue working at this stage," he told Warner Home Video in 2010. "I keep working because there's always new stories ... And as long as people want me to tell them, I'll be there doing them.”

In 2005, at age 74, Eastwood became the oldest person to win an Academy Award for directing -- for "Million Dollar Baby." He said on Oscar night, "We're taking over. The AARP and me."

A shoutout for the 'senior guys'

At the same time, he appealed to younger industry executives not to forget older artists: "I'd like to say to the various financiers, don't forget the senior guys. The senior guys and gals are there, willing to do their best work for you."

Films directed by Eastwood have grossed about $1,294 million, according to Box Office Mojo. That's an impressive total for anyone -- not just a "senior guy."

The next time you're feeling like you're on the downward slide, let this wisdom attributed to Eastwood make your day: “I'd like to be a bigger and more knowledgeable person 10 years from now than I am today. I think that, for all of us, as we grow older, we must discipline ourselves to continue expanding, broadening, learning, keeping our minds active and open.”

Or better yet, think about Eastwood's advice to the young cop in the 1990 film "The Rookie": "If you want a guarantee, buy a toaster."

Guy Gagnon
June 21, 2014 at 10:06 pm

I've been a life life long fan Clint, way back to Rawhide and Rowdy Yates. I dropped in at The Hog's Breath Inn several years ago hoping to catch you there, no such luck but it wasn't
a total loss,you Lauren Bacall was there.

Marcia Harms
June 21, 2014 at 10:01 pm

Applause for your life long devotion to the film. I look forward to Jersey Boys. Your are most certainly admired by the world.

shirley young
June 21, 2014 at 8:23 pm

Clint Eastwood is an amazing director and actor. He should just keep on doing what he is doing. He has the right to do as he as he pleases keep on producing great movies!

SHIRLEY YOUNG

Frank E. DeVito
June 21, 2014 at 6:58 pm

Clint Eastwood - You're the BEST, and a lot of it has to do with you're the real deal, and you say what you feel and it speaks for all of us, unlike most of the Hollywood crowd, who while fine on the Big Screen, have no clue what the real world is like and should never give their opinion on anything other than their craft! Your sage advice is something everyone should take to heart and as I said in an earlier comment for those of us who can't because of physical disability get up and do all that we would love doing, we can always work the mind and stretch the body with Yoga and all kinds of brain exercises. Keep on keeping on Clint, we should all look so good as you at 84!

Mary Ann J.
June 21, 2014 at 5:21 pm

I am a senior and I go to the gym at least 4 times a week. I do the spin, treadmill, eliptical, gym equipment and men's stretch which is very challenging and consists mostly of women. I keep my own home, work in the yard and sometimes put in a 12 to 15 hour day. Don't let anyone tell you that you are old, you are as old as you feel and we are getting OLDER, NOT OLD. You are as young as you feel. Keep up the good work and looking forward to seeing the "Jersey Boys" with the music and dancing of my era. Remember that age is just a state of mind.

Michael Rowland
June 21, 2014 at 4:21 pm

The only thing better than seeing a Clint Eastwood directed movie, is seeing one that he also stars in. I would find it impossible to pick the best movie that Clint Eastwood has either directed, acted or both.

In no particular order: Outlaw Josey Wales, Dirty Harry, Hamburger Hill, The Unforgiven, Here After, Gran Torino and my personal favorite, Million Dollar Baby.

Ronald Sandiford
June 21, 2014 at 4:07 pm

Clint is very much right when he says to stay active in mind and body. AT age 82 I am still going strong. I Play the keyboard. and I do nursing home ministries at 3 different nursing homes, 2 times each month. That way my mind and body stays active. I would advise anyone in the elderly bracket, to pay attention to Mr.Clint, you can tell he knows what he is talking about. I hope He continues to do the kind of movies he's been doing for so many years.

steve p.
June 21, 2014 at 3:18 pm

I watched you from the beginning on tv,and movies.When dirty harry movies were on,i was a police officer also.The difference was I carried a colt python 357 magum.You made the best movies ever.Remember when you were told that your adams apple was too big,and Burt Reynolds was too ugly.The joke was on them.

MOLLY BROWN
June 21, 2014 at 3:14 pm

YI!!CLINT!-Remember Bruce Surtees --(bob&maydelle-too??)--I 'm shocked Bruce is gone??love 2 talk 2 u - about music & Cinerama days --I have some scrips u might want??HOW THE WEST WAS WON --ETC-I just chased a BEAR OUT OF MY SMALL BACK ROOM--!!!soo I-AIN'T DOWN YET !!!MY I30 LBS JUST SCARED HIM TO DEATH!!!HAha!!MY SON & WIFE --U WILL KNOW-get back 2 me & I'll fill u in--ok??lov ur work--(especially THEY CALL THE WIND MARIAH!!!!MOLLYBROWN

MOLLYBROWN

Martin Osten
June 21, 2014 at 3:07 pm

Sir,

I have a Google+ site called, "What's Great About America." I hope I can find a non-DRM photo of YOU!

BTW, I was the Bad :)