Retirement Blog

Finance Blogs » Retirement » Clint Eastwood makes my day

Clint Eastwood makes my day

By Jennie L. Phipps · Bankrate.com
Tuesday, June 17, 2014

At 84, Clint Eastwood isn't sitting on his laurels, taking naps and complaining about his Social Security. He's still in the game and an inspiration for anybody worried about growing old.

This week, ahead of the release of his latest movie, "Jersey Boys," he offered The Associated Press this retirement planning advice: "If you tell yourself, 'I'm too old to do that,' bulls---, you're not too old to do anything."

© Randy Miramontez/Shutterstock.com

To direct, 'you can be 21 or 81'

Age has made him a better director, Eastwood says. "You have more experience as you get older. You have more to draw on, as long as you don't lose your faculties. You can play on that if you're lucky enough genetically or you take good enough care of yourself, or a combination of the two. You can go ahead and experiment with things. There's so many different stories to tell out there. You can be 21 or 81."

It isn't the first time Eastwood has talked about retirement and the challenges of aging in Hollywood. “Everybody wonders why I continue working at this stage," he told Warner Home Video in 2010. "I keep working because there's always new stories ... And as long as people want me to tell them, I'll be there doing them.”

In 2005, at age 74, Eastwood became the oldest person to win an Academy Award for directing -- for "Million Dollar Baby." He said on Oscar night, "We're taking over. The AARP and me."

A shoutout for the 'senior guys'

At the same time, he appealed to younger industry executives not to forget older artists: "I'd like to say to the various financiers, don't forget the senior guys. The senior guys and gals are there, willing to do their best work for you."

Films directed by Eastwood have grossed about $1,294 million, according to Box Office Mojo. That's an impressive total for anyone -- not just a "senior guy."

The next time you're feeling like you're on the downward slide, let this wisdom attributed to Eastwood make your day: “I'd like to be a bigger and more knowledgeable person 10 years from now than I am today. I think that, for all of us, as we grow older, we must discipline ourselves to continue expanding, broadening, learning, keeping our minds active and open.”

Or better yet, think about Eastwood's advice to the young cop in the 1990 film "The Rookie": "If you want a guarantee, buy a toaster."

Evelyn G
June 21, 2014 at 3:03 pm

Being happy and positive within myself is my main objective at 74. I give you kudos Clint. Don't stop, you still have more to give the world. We can all learn from each other.

Ken Ford Moriarity
June 21, 2014 at 2:53 pm

Amazing! I never imagined I'd ever have the opportunity to drop a note to Clint Eastwood. But here I am. Clint ( if you don't mind me calling you that), I'm 82 and a half, still working, feel great, love life and have always planned on reaching 120. And when I get there, I plan to start over. Your work is wonderful and with the exception of a few westerns I think I've seen pretty much all of it.

You make my day.

Best,

Ken Ford Moriarity
PS, WELL SEE JERSEY BOYS TOMORROW!

Ellen
June 21, 2014 at 2:49 pm

But I love you anyway. I used to live in Carmel and have seen you in town. You're quite the guy.

Ellen
June 21, 2014 at 2:36 pm

A face lift doesn't hurt.

Jack Linderman
June 21, 2014 at 2:02 pm

Hello Clint
Loved your western acting career. I see you have a lot of kids on this site talking to you. I am 92 and working hard on two websites which should mature in a five year period. still going strong.

MarilynBud Anderson
June 21, 2014 at 2:02 pm

You're a great one, Clint! Can't help but cancel all my week-end activities when your movies are on a certain channel. So enjoy them all! Bud Anderson

jon
June 21, 2014 at 1:48 pm

clint aging

Sandie Young
June 21, 2014 at 1:37 pm

Hello Clint,
You have always been my idle. I'm 78 and still going strong, my motto is "I'm better and better every day". I am so grateful you've kept yourself up and still going strong. We love everything you act in as well as produce. You are an honor to humanity. We all love you. Thank you, thank you, thank you, for being our hero and sparking our life. I send you much gratitude and many blessings for being our true trooper.
Love you
Sandie Young

Toni (Mannina) Basich
June 21, 2014 at 1:06 pm

Hi Clint,
I totally agree with your philosophy about growing old. I am now 78 years old. I worked at KPIX in Al Baccari's office when you were on Rawhide and came on The KPIX Dance Party. I remember the many times you came by to see me when you appeared as a guest on The Dance Party It has been fun to see how successful you have been in the movie industry. We are looking forward to seeing "The Jersey Boys" this weekend. I live in Novato with my husband of 51 years, Dan. I am still doing publicity for Our Lady of Loretto Church and school. My mantra is you "gotta keep movin". My family would love to meet you. Hope that will happen. That would "Make Our Day"!!!!!!
Toni Basich

Nancy K
June 21, 2014 at 12:42 pm

Age is a state of mind.... At 80 I am still running barrels and poles....Horse shows and rodeos. If I stop pushing the wheel barrow,and accept help, I won`t be able to do it. Just keep going, and do what ever makes you happy.