Mortgages Blog

Finance Blogs » Mortgages » Turn your home into a billboard

Turn your home into a billboard

By Judy Martel · Bankrate.com
Monday, February 13, 2012

From the strange-but-true files: Struggling homeowners can find mortgage relief by allowing their home to be turned into a giant billboard. Apparently, 38,000 people are desperate or creative enough to submit their homes as potential advertisements to the marketing company behind this idea, Brainiacs from Mars.

The founder of the company, Romeo Mendoza, told Reuters that he wants to place giant ads on 1,000 homes in the U.S. In exchange, his company will pay the mortgage for up to a year. He initially placed the billboard idea on his website in April, 2011, and says he's been contacted by homeowners from as far away as Japan and Russia.

Mendoza says he wants to make an impact in the foreclosure crisis and sees this idea as a win-win. Homeowners get mortgage relief for a period of time and his company gets an eye-catching billboard. He's already transformed one home in Buena Park, a suburb of Los Angeles, into a billboard for Brainiacs. The bulk of applications from potential homeowners have come from the states hardest hit by foreclosures: Nevada, Florida and Arizona.

"The response has been overwhelming," Mendoza told Reuters. "People are hurting, and struggling to stay in their homes. If we can help some of them, that would be great."

So far, the neighbors of the Buena Park home painted as a billboard have been tolerant, mostly because they say they believe the ad will only be up for a month and they understand the plight of struggling homeowners. In Southern California, 44 percent of homeowners are underwater on their mortgages, according to Reuters. It remains to be seen if this scheme goes over well with city codes and zoning laws.

Would you consider allowing your house to be painted as a giant billboard in exchange for some mortgage payments, and how would you feel if this happened in your neighborhood?

Keep up with your wealth and mortgages and follow me on Twitter.

Get more news, money-saving tips and expert advice by signing up for a free Bankrate newsletter.

nrusernemei4
March 26, 2012 at 5:38 am

I am a new member of this forum.

steelmann
March 25, 2012 at 7:42 pm

yea what's next gettin a tatoo of C I T I across your chest !!!

Glenda
March 24, 2012 at 6:25 pm

Yeah....if it helps a struggling homeowner with their mortage! Great idea!

kathy ridge
March 22, 2012 at 8:25 pm

Please help me ssign up for this offer...I just need a few months to get back on my feet....

Pablo
March 22, 2012 at 4:23 pm

If it helps the person keep their house, and it's only going to be like that for a year, I'm all for it. Think about what you'd do if it were YOU in danger of losing your house.

CSG
March 22, 2012 at 4:19 pm

Before you sign up make sure that your home owners association(if you have one) will go along with it. Otherwise you will have even more headaches and less money when all is said and done.

Doug
March 22, 2012 at 4:18 pm

When are ALL of you above going to figure out that our real government ,and our supreme court are weak puppets of the GLOBAL powers that be ! The Supreme court and the president have not been able to enforce a 1916 court ruling throwing the criminal I R S the hell out of here like they so richly deserve ,in , it'll be 100 years come 2016 ! Kennedy was murdered for trying to drive the federal reserve outta here , a global cartel which now dangles us like puppets on our pull strings ! We are literally nothing but hamsters on a wheel , generating revenue for them and all the while believing we are " Free ! " Give me a break ! Yeah....I'll get out and vote the day I see the media talk against the I R S and the federal reserve...they are fully controlled and financed by these crininals who got their tenacles into us long long before most of us were born ! This is where the REAL root of our oppression is , forced global rule over the free world !The day we rise up and take back our country as true patriots with national and individual pride is the day this mockery of a government will end ! We don't need global police , we have our own ....nor globalist tax collectors !

Lana
March 22, 2012 at 4:04 pm

That is a good idea about the house being put on the Billboard and it would definitly help me for a year my husband is retired and we have been stapped trying to hold on to family owned property our vehicles and now owing the Government 5000.00 in taxes we are always paying in and never getting any back and the bank will not help us even a little even with a 1441.00 payment if they would even let us pay 1000.00 a month that would help but they will not do it so we are thinking of walking away from it and going into bankruptcy and just renting a place for whatever time we have left and we will not be leaving anything to our children and grandchildren like so many we owe more now than what it is worth but we want to stay just no bank will help

Libby
March 22, 2012 at 3:53 pm

I wish I had thought of this idea! The American free enterprise system at work. I hate when people blame the "rich" for all the problems. What about the illegal aliens using up our resources. The rich AND the middle class are paying for it all. I live in an area where I see, with my own eyes, illegals dragging 5-6 well dressed, out of control children to the checkstand, holding a wad of money in their hands as they're getting their food stamps out of their purses. This is one BIG problem we have. I'd love for my home to be used as a colorful billboard for awhile. Great idea!!

Jack
March 22, 2012 at 3:52 pm

If it helps thy neighbor I don't care.