Mortgages Blog

Finance Blogs » Mortgages » Is Occupy Foreclosures next?

Is Occupy Foreclosures next?

By Polyana da Costa · Bankrate.com
Tuesday, November 8, 2011

After occupying streets and parks in various parts of the country, Occupy Wall Street activists plan their next move: occupying foreclosures.

The San Francisco Chronicle reports that Occupy Oakland activists met this week to discuss not whether to occupy empty homes, but when and how to do it. One strategy the group is considering is contacting people who lost their houses to foreclosure and having them move back into the properties. Prior to the Occupy movement, there were some isolated cases in which homeowners who had been evicted moved back into their former homes months after the lender had taken title to the properties.

Calls urging protesters to occupy vacant homes have been circulating on Twitter, and members of the Occupy movement in various parts of the country have begun to respond.

"This home is occupied," reads the sign members of the Occupy Atlanta group have put in front of a house in a suburban Atlanta neighborhood. According to The Atlanta-Journal Constitution, the group showed up at the house after a family of five was told that they would be evicted from their foreclosed house.

Last week, members of the Occupy Oakland group attempted to take over an empty building. The occupation led to more than 100 arrests, the Chronicle reports. Oakland city officials say occupation of vacant properties is illegal and will not be tolerated, the paper reports.

I'm interested in hearing what you think about this movement. Do you think occupying foreclosures is justifiable? Will it do anything to solve the foreclosure crisis or simply cause chaos?

Follow me on Twitter @Polyanad

Alexander
November 15, 2011 at 12:58 pm

RE: "Do they think they are above the law. Think about it, it is one thing to protest, another to break laws when protesting........"

When the laws are written by those who get rich by oppressing and stealing from the lower classes, then it's not as simple as illegal = wrong. Those who only ever OBEY (like well-trained dogs) are part of the problem for not standing up against injustice. Study some very recent history and look at how the banks helped create this mess by pushing irresponsible loans and ruining people's lives. OUR government has a responsibility to PROTECT OUR citizens, but instead it encourages this kind of large-scale thievery because - guess what! - it ends up profitable for them too.

Take back those houses!

Martha
November 15, 2011 at 12:30 pm

I wish I they would have thought of this a couple of years ago. I would have stayed. Instead, I'm paying someone else's mortgage in the form of rent.

Marcus
November 15, 2011 at 12:27 pm

Really? Too many people with their hand out! Listen up people. You get what you earn or pay for. It's that simple. Why does someone think they are entitled to something they didn't earn or even pay for? If you stopped paying for you home - whatever the reason - you have no right to it. IT ISN'T YOURS! Even a three-year-old understands this concept. The problem with these "occupiers" and frankly with some of the comments on this thread is that they believe they deserve something for nothing. It's time to grow up! This used to be a great nation full of hard-working people but now no one wants to work hard for anything. Liberals have brainwashed the American public into thinking that all they have to do is go to college. That will solve all of your problems! You will even be successful and rich! The "occupiers" are the idiots that listened to that fairy tale. Turn your anger on the real culprits here - liberals, oh and yourself too!

christine
November 15, 2011 at 11:31 am

I am thrilled with what is occuring,keepit up.I will gladly join the movement.It's time these fascist B@#$@#ds were held accountable.there is some property in washington D.C. that needs to be emptied out......

Ron
November 15, 2011 at 11:04 am

Daniel
November 15, 2011 at 9:54 am

I just as many other americans , face foreclosure and went through one already with our family owned buisness. Gahndi says when given but 1 choice and 2 paths cowerding or violence , choose violence when all else has failed in the eyes of a democracy that has run wild. So long end of it I will protect my home to my death , i will not move , i will not just give it up. My circumstances are even more removed from the norm than most. As a message to someone who may read this that may be there on the day of eviction ... My pride stands tall as the same for my strength to prove a point, given the correct moment any can be turned bad given the right moment!!! It is time for us the american people to stand tall and unite, they took our jobs and sent them across borders and seas , they refuse to enforce trade laws, they refuse to remove illegals, they keep taxing us more and more, from the poor to the RICH , government waste and greed is why we are here today. It is time to fight , we have no other choice , but to enforce the laws ourselves, we need to start our first export ALL ILLEAGALS of all nations , and move to stop all imports . Who is with me

Samuel B. Shear
November 15, 2011 at 9:51 am

I agree with the Occupy Wall Street protesters for many reasons. I do agree that these people have become victims of financial inequality and forced out of their homes. This kind of inequality isn't fair to ANYONE because it's causing them to loose their jobs and being forced out into the street. While my family and I aren't among the richest people in the world, we aren't poor either. Despite this, we feel guilty about what is happening to these people. These people deserve decent homes, good jobs, and don't deserve to be forced out into the street.

Julie
November 15, 2011 at 9:36 am

Obviously there is a systematic approach to resolving foreclosures, however the banks are not acting responsible and don't seem accountable for the havoc they are creating. I say, go for it. If it's going to change the way things are, then maybe creating chaos is the only answer.

Brooke
November 15, 2011 at 9:30 am

My husband was a doctor he can no longer work, we are losing our home to foreclosure and I'm scared to death. I don't know where we are going to live. We sold our practce and the person who bought it ruined it and didn't pay us. Now we are desperate as to what to do.

William Clark
November 15, 2011 at 9:23 am

this group are going to far, now they are going to continue breaking the law by occuyping Foreclosed homes. the citiec where this is beginning to happen needs to take action against the occupiers at once so this doesn't get out of hand as the campin did .shut them down and send them home wherever that is, tell the Big Unions to stop having these people bnreaking the laws , and stop paying most of them,so this thing will fade away ..