Insurance Blog

Finance Blogs » Insurance » Fan letter to Justin Bieber

Fan letter to Justin Bieber

By Jay MacDonald · Bankrate.com
Friday, February 18, 2011

Dear Justin,

First, you were totally robbed at the Grammys, dude. I'm no music critic, but if being the biggest star on the planet doesn't warrant Best New Artist, then Lady GaGa doesn't dress funny. But whatever. You're 16. You've got time.

Baby, baby, baby, U.S. health care is no match for Canada's!

What caught my interest, other than your totally buck duet with Usher, were your comments concerning health care reform in the new Rolling Stone.

All I can say is, I wish you'd been around to speak truth to power when President Barack Obama was taking so many shots. But I understand: ninth grade has to come first.

For readers who may not get their financial news from Rolling Stone, you were defending your native Canada and vowing never to become a U.S. citizen because our health insurance here is onerous (I know that sounds dirty. Ask Usher). Here's the money quote:

"Canada's the best country in the world. We go to the doctor and we don't need to worry about paying him, but here, your whole life, you're broke because of medical bills. My bodyguard's baby was premature, and now he has to pay for it. In Canada, if your baby's premature, he stays in the hospital as long as he needs to, and then you go home."

You know what, J-Biebs? You're right. The plain fact is, a lot of us here in southern Canada are broke, or at least struggling, because our leaders have allowed the corporations that pull their strings to perpetuate a wasteful, inefficient free market health insurance system that makes most of us sick financially.

You Canadians have a knack for seeing through our country's propaganda smog. Over the years, I've learned more about America and the human condition from Canadians like Neil Young, Joni Mitchell, Bruce Cockburn and k.d. lang than from most Grammy Award-winning artists south of the 49th parallel.

Every time someone like Obama tries to enact health care reform, the power brokers start up the boogeyman machine: socialism, death panels, abortion mills, on and on. They even drag Canada into their smear campaign: you'll spend hours in the waiting room with a heart attack, wait months to see your physician, just like the poor Canadians.

Well, I'm not hearing that from Canadians, but I can tell you where you can experience that kind of health care treatment: Right here!

Thanks for your honesty. We're trying to fix it. Never say never, right?

Keep it real, dude.

JM

Catch me on Twitter!

Subscribe to Bankrate newsletters today.

lizette diaz
April 12, 2011 at 6:07 pm

u r a cool, sweet, funny, cute, and a awesome singer i am a big fan i am a normal fan not a crazy fan. i'm chill yaaa !! 8)

liam nicholson
March 15, 2011 at 4:59 pm

I hate your hair

stefenie
March 05, 2011 at 7:53 pm

hi justin bieber,i am a totaly big fan of jou,and i am so mad in love with jou that every night i have to crie for jou.............because i love jour foice,jour face,i just love everything from jouu!!owwwwww justin bieber,every night i am begging god that i could be jour girlfriend someday,and every night i am dreaming about jou and me...i hope this all just comes true!!1000000000000 of kissen and hugs from stefenie!!love jou mwaaahhhhhh............

Brittany
February 24, 2011 at 8:03 pm

heyy justin i am a big fan i think u r the hottest person ever and u have great music...keep it up;)

Danielle
February 22, 2011 at 11:06 am

I'm Canadian and I had to drive to the USA to get the health care that I needed multiple times. (Also a 40% tax on your income doesn't make it free.)

Rosa
February 22, 2011 at 3:41 am

If Canada is so great, why is Justin in the US. go and sing for your countrymen, you will not make the same money if you stay in your country

rochelle
February 19, 2011 at 2:55 pm

Dear Justin,
i wanted to cry when you died on CSI the only thing i did was get mad!!!:(

Doreen
February 19, 2011 at 9:40 am

Maybe the only Canadians who you are hearing from are the ones lucky enough NOT to have had to wait months for treatment. If you speak to actual SICK Canadians, you will realize many come right her to the good old USA for their treatment. My sister was diagnosed on Monday with breast cancer. That Thursday, she was being immediately treated. I've been in the health insurance field 23 years. My resume is vast. I've done it all. I've paid claims, worked for Medicare Part B on the beneficiary lines, managed a broker's office, worked for a Master General Agent as an underwriter, wrote appeals, and am now an independent broker. Sadly, I've personally seen the Canadians who needed to come to America for treatment because they were put on lists in Canada and had to wait. Thankfully, my sister wasn't put on a list, didn't have to wait and got her treatment immediately. When you sit on a list, your cancer spreads. Canadian insurance works wonders, as long as you don't get really sick. If it's a serious illness, well, you just may want to come to America if you want to survive.

Megan
February 18, 2011 at 4:42 pm

Dear Justin,
i totally cried when when you died on CSI thank god it wasn't for real!!!!

alex rogrs
February 18, 2011 at 1:15 pm

Jay, What a bunch of Mularkey!!!!!!!!!