Insurance Blog

Finance Blogs » Insurance » A million votes for Obamacare

A million votes for Obamacare

By Jay MacDonald · Bankrate.com
Friday, September 23, 2011

One million more young adults are covered by health insurance today than last year, thanks to President Obama's health care reform package.

While the sputtering economy has caused an alarming number of Americans to drop their health coverage, a new Gallup poll found one bright spot: the number of adults ages 18 to 25 without health insurance dropped from 28 percent last fall to 24.2 percent in the second quarter of this year, roughly equivalent to 1 million young adults.

One popular and relatively low-cost feature of the Affordable Care Act allows adult children to remain on their parent's health insurance until they turn 26, even if they're married, not living at home and not financially dependent on Mom and Dad. Prior to health care reform, many employer-based health insurance plans would lop off the kids at age 19, although some made exceptions for full-time college students.

The extended coverage became effective for health plans beginning on or after Sept. 23, 2010. Many employer-based plans began implementing it on Jan. 1.

And it could not have come at a better time for frustrated college graduates facing a discouraging job market. Even those who manage to land a fulltime position often find that their employer has dropped health insurance or that the cost is still beyond their means.

If the forces fighting to overturn health care reform prevail, many of these 1 million young people will be battling for a foothold on the American dream without the benefit of health insurance.

Subscribe to Bankrate newsletters today!

ObamaCare victim
November 11, 2011 at 10:25 pm

My health insurance premium went up 25.1 percent on January 1st. Co-pay went up over 100 percent (from $15 to 3$22.5). A "relatively low-cost feature."

IDIOT.

John Q. Taxpayer
October 03, 2011 at 11:28 am

Last I checked, the "benefits" in Obamacare doesn't take effect until 2014. So how exactly did it provide coverage to an extra 1 million people?

Terrie
September 30, 2011 at 10:04 am

That benefit could have been done without the sweeping legislation that will in the end be used to steal even more money from taxpayers.

Alan Jennings
September 29, 2011 at 7:28 am

People get real, yes maybe 1,000,000 more young people have health care, but 10,000,000 lost it, along with all the people that are without a job, which is increasing.

The government has no right to force me to purchase anything, much less health care.

If you want to end or lower unemployment, then drop the last 10 years of epa regulations. Business would have more money to invest in their employees healthcare. Obamacare is not going to help, only cost employers more, or fine them for not providing it, and of course the fine is less than the cost of the insurance, so its no wonder the employers are dropping health care. It will be cheaper than providing it. And then obamacare will force you to purchase that insurance on your own. And i've price the governments insurance here, and i would be paying more than what i was paying before......

BB
September 28, 2011 at 3:07 pm

You know I think credit should be given where it is deserved. I was the recipient of the Obamacare in that my cobra was discounted 65% allowing me to continue payin a relatively reasonable amount for over 18 months. Now I have found a job but have two teenagers 19 and 17. Both could not qualify for any job where they would qualify for medical insurance on their own because these jobs are designed for full time employees. I am allowed to continue caring my children even after they finish high school. I am thankful for this. I am not getting a hand out and I did work really hard all these years. I am happy to be a beneficiary of the Obamacare program. My insurance cost has dropped because I am with a larger company although the copays are $5 bucks more a visit. But isn't everything up. Stop complaining!

Kathy O
September 27, 2011 at 7:12 pm

I think I'm going to throw-up!

Ash
September 24, 2011 at 7:35 am

Jay,

You're wrong. Health care costs have increased as much from government interference and subsidy as they have from the enormous cost of medical research, lack of regulation is not the root cause. The whole idea of paying nothing for your health care is ridiculous in a free society, where personal responsibility -- maintaining your health and saving for potential medical expenses -- should prevail. If you socialists want free health care, move to North Korea, you should like the central planning there.

Jay MacDonald
September 23, 2011 at 1:03 pm

Thanks for your comment, J.B., but it is precisely the lack of federal regulation of the health care industry that has created the current, unsustainable system we have today. Removing regulation will only make it worse.

Travis Rowenhorst
September 23, 2011 at 12:10 pm

At what cost?

Just because you can get people to vote for getting something for free doesn't make it the right thing to do.

J.B.
September 23, 2011 at 10:24 am

Jay MacDonald, you are clueless.
If you want government bureaucrats making decisions on your heath care, go ahead and re-elect Obama. If you want your freedom and no interference from the Federal government about your personal health, vote him and the other Democrats out of office in 2012...it's as simple as that.