Advertiser Disclosure: The credit card offers that appear on the website are from companies from which this site receives compensation. This compensation may impact how and where products appear on this site (including, for example, the order in which they appear). This site does not include all credit card companies or all available credit card offers.
American Express is a Bankrate advertising partner.
While vehicle fuel economy is improving, gas still remains a major expenditure for many households. If you're looking for a way to reduce your financial pain at the pump, consider picking up a gas credit card.
It's important to compare cards and find the correct gas credit card for your situation. But look past the gas company branded cards. There are some better deals available.
Here is the top gas credit card as chosen by the experts at CreditCards.com, as well as two other quality options.
CARD SEARCH: Save at the pump with these top gas credit cards.
|Bank of America Cash Rewards Credit Card||3% cash back on gas for the first $2,500 in combined grocery, wholesale club/gas purchases each quarter||13.99% to 23.99%|
|American Express Blue Cash Preferred||3% cash back at U.S. gas stations||13.99% to 24.99% See Rates & Fees|
|Discover it Chrome||2% cash back on gas||11.99% to 23.99%|
Bank of America Cash Rewards Credit Card
Substantial cash back on fuel purchases make this a top pick on CreditCards.com's list. And it's a great all-around cash-back card to boot.
- Earn 3 percent cash back on gas purchases, 2 percent at grocery stores and wholesale clubs and 1 percent cash back on all other purchases. Earn grocery, wholesale club and gas rewards on combined spending up to $2,500 each quarter.
- Earn a $150 online cash rewards bonus after you spend at least $500 on purchases in the first 90 days of account opening.
Who should get this card
This card is ideal if you spend big on gas, grocery stores and wholesale clubs. It's also a good fit if you plan to redeem cash back into a Bank of America checking or savings account, which will get you a 10 percent bonus. That bonus increases anywhere from 25 percent to 75 percent if you're a Preferred Rewards client.
This serves as a great gas credit card, but if you're looking for a solid cash-back rate on all purchases, there are some better deals available.
This card comes with no annual fee. This card has a zero-percent introductory APR offer on purchases for the first 12 billing cycles. After that a variable APR between 13.99 and 23.99 percent applies.
American Express Blue Cash Preferred
Blue Cash Preferred made CreditCards.com's list as the best cash-back card for everyday spending. The card's fuel rewards make it a worthy pick for a gas card.
- 6% cash back at U.S. supermarkets (on up to $6,000 per year in purchases, then 1%) -- that means spending $60 a week at U.S. supermarkets could earn over $180 back per year.
- 3% cash back at U.S. gas stations and at select U.S. department stores, 1% back on other purchases.
- $150 statement credit after you spend $1,000 in purchases on your new card within the first 3 months.
- See Rates & Fees
Who should get this card
Blue Cash Preferred is a solid gas card that doubles as a good all-around cash-back card. So if you spend big on gas, groceries and department stores, this card may be a good fit for you.
Keep in mind, though, the $6,000 annual spending cap at U.S. supermarkets means the most you could earn is $360 before the low 1 percent rate kicks in. American Express also isn't as widely accepted as Visa and MasterCard. That might make it necessary to use this card strategically with other rewards cards.
American Express offers a $0 annual fee for the first year of card membership, then $95.
CARD SEARCH: Planning a trip? Make sure to pack a gas rewards card.
Discover it Chrome
Though the Discover it Chrome made CreditCards.com's list as the best card for students, it also stands out as a solid gas credit card.
- Earn 2 percent cash back at gas stations and restaurants with a limit of $1,000 in combined purchases per quarter. Earn 1 percent on all other purchases.
- At the end of your first year, this card offers dollar-for-dollar of all cash back you've earned.
- No annual fee or over-limit fee. Late payment fee is waived one time.
Who should get this card
Whether you're a student or not, if you spend big on gas, Discover it Chrome is a good option.
This card has a variable APR between 13.99 and 22.99 percent.
RATE SEARCH: Compare the best gas card offers now.
Follow me on Twitter: @MitchStrohm
This editorial content is not provided or commissioned by any of the referenced financial institutions or companies. Opinions, analysis, reviews or recommendations expressed here are the author’s alone, not those of any financial institutions or companies, and have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any such entity. All products or services are presented without warranty. Bankrate.com is an independent, advertising-supported publisher and comparison service. This post contains references to our partners, and Bankrate may be compensated in exchange for featured placement of certain sponsored products and services, or your clicking on certain links posted on this website.