Cars Blog

Finance Blogs » Cars » Wow! 3 million miles in 1 car

Wow! 3 million miles in 1 car

By Tara Baukus Mello · Bankrate.com
Saturday, September 21, 2013

If you think you think you need to buy a new car because your old car has high mileage, you might want to look for inspiration from Long Island, N.Y., native Irv Gordon, who just logged a whopping 3 million miles in his car.

The retired science teacher drove his 3-millionth mile earlier this week on Alaska's Seward Highway. Alaska was one of two states that Gordon had not yet visited. His journey was chronicled on Volvo's website 3MillionReasons.com, where visitors can share their "reasons to believe."

His record-setting accomplishment began the moment he bought his 1966 Volvo P1800, though he had no idea at the time. After buying the car on a Friday of a long weekend, Irv says he "couldn't stop driving." He brought the car in for its 1,500 mile service that Monday. Because of a 125-mile round-trip daily commute, he was extremely dedicated to keeping the car meticulously maintained. He drove 500,000 miles in the first 10 years, made the Guinness Book of World Records for the most miles (1.69 million) driven by a single owner in a noncommercial vehicle in 1998 and logged the two-millionth mile in Times Square in front of international media in 2002.

Gordon, now 74, says he will continue to drive his Volvo, but he has no idea if he will reach another million miles. "Whether I drive 4 million miles is more up to me than it is the car. The car may be able to take it, but I'm not so sure about me," he says.

What's the farthest you've ever driven a car before trading it in?

Tara Baukus Mello writes the cars blog as well as the weekly Driving for Dollars column, providing both practical financial advice for consumers as well as insight into the latest developments in the automotive world. Follow her on Facebook here or on Twitter @SheDrives.

Marty
September 30, 2013 at 10:35 am

I ride my motorcycle over 30k a year for pleasure & not just trying to put miles on it but that's what I like to do. I also have a car.

Vince
September 30, 2013 at 10:27 am

There maybe 3 mil on the the car, but I question the non-commercial use. I have 1,171,000 miles on my vehicle, but I drive for work, about 100,000 per year( 2000 GMC Savana, 5.7L gas V8).

Lisa
September 30, 2013 at 10:16 am

You can drive to Alaska from New York going through Canada. It will take about 3-4 days and it is a little over 4000 miles.

The Alaska Highway can be picked up in Dawson Creek, British Columbia. Numerous highways go to Dawson Creek, including Alberta Highway 43, which comes up from Edmonton.

The Alaska Highway is, for the most part, a well-maintained two-lane road through Canadian wilderness.

The truckers have to get there somehow, right?

rich fitz
September 30, 2013 at 10:02 am

LISDA........You need to go to Alaska. Most of which you can't drive to? So, how did he get the miles? I ask YOU to explain. I was in Alaska and the Harley group has a ride to raise money there, and ,well, they ride back and forth thru town because the highways go no-place... Please, you explain the miles then? Good Luck. It's just NOT True.

keneke
September 30, 2013 at 10:01 am

How about lifting the car up on jacks and let it run all day ?

lisa
September 30, 2013 at 9:16 am

Did any of you stop to think about vacations? You are just thinking about work travel. The story says he reached 3 million in Alaska. He could have driven many many miles on road trips. Not everyone likes airplanes. I have family in California and that trip is over 5000 miles with out any detours. Just saying>

Jerry
September 30, 2013 at 8:50 am

Not possible. As Tom says, 64,000 miles a year, or 175 miles every day for that 47 years. Just not possible. Think of it this way, 3-4 hours of every day on the freeway at 50-60MPH. No one drives that far 7 days a week, 52 weeks a year, for 47 years. Two million maybe, not three.

I think its a ploy by VOLVO for advertising.

rich fitz
September 30, 2013 at 8:49 am

I have done the math tom. I stated before, I can NOT believe the story because of the math. WHO, in their right mind,and the time, would be able to drive over 1,100 miles per week? I don't see that happening. Just think of the fuel cost. You would need a hefty job to pay just for that, and when would you work,and sleep? The time factor just doesn't add up, plus if the picture is still attached, the dates are covered up by fingers. There maybe 3 mill. miles on the car MAYBE , but not by one person, NO-WAY !!!!!!!!

Tom
September 30, 2013 at 8:36 am

Do the math, 63,830 miles a year for 47 years. the car was purchased in 1966.

nucinc
September 30, 2013 at 7:46 am

No mention if the engine or trans had been pulled or overhauled and how many times.