Cars Blog

Finance Blogs » Cars » Wow! 3 million miles in 1 car

Wow! 3 million miles in 1 car

By Tara Baukus Mello · Bankrate.com
Saturday, September 21, 2013

If you think you think you need to buy a new car because your old car has high mileage, you might want to look for inspiration from Long Island, N.Y., native Irv Gordon, who just logged a whopping 3 million miles in his car.

The retired science teacher drove his 3-millionth mile earlier this week on Alaska's Seward Highway. Alaska was one of two states that Gordon had not yet visited. His journey was chronicled on Volvo's website 3MillionReasons.com, where visitors can share their "reasons to believe."

His record-setting accomplishment began the moment he bought his 1966 Volvo P1800, though he had no idea at the time. After buying the car on a Friday of a long weekend, Irv says he "couldn't stop driving." He brought the car in for its 1,500 mile service that Monday. Because of a 125-mile round-trip daily commute, he was extremely dedicated to keeping the car meticulously maintained. He drove 500,000 miles in the first 10 years, made the Guinness Book of World Records for the most miles (1.69 million) driven by a single owner in a noncommercial vehicle in 1998 and logged the two-millionth mile in Times Square in front of international media in 2002.

Gordon, now 74, says he will continue to drive his Volvo, but he has no idea if he will reach another million miles. "Whether I drive 4 million miles is more up to me than it is the car. The car may be able to take it, but I'm not so sure about me," he says.

What's the farthest you've ever driven a car before trading it in?

Tara Baukus Mello writes the cars blog as well as the weekly Driving for Dollars column, providing both practical financial advice for consumers as well as insight into the latest developments in the automotive world. Follow her on Facebook here or on Twitter @SheDrives.

rose
September 29, 2013 at 11:12 pm

volvo 2001, 174,000 bought new as demo and still rolling. No car payment for 8 years now!!!

donijr
September 29, 2013 at 10:59 pm

saab 900 387,000

Bill
September 29, 2013 at 10:24 pm

1990 Toyota 4Runner 5-speed manual- 2nd owner- 256,000 Sold $500-catalytic converter-
1998 Honda Accord 5-speed manual- original owner- 381,000 - totaled in accident- insurance company wouldn't repair
2000 Subaru Forester-3rd owner- 263,000- blown engine- Sold $300
2004 VW Jetta TDI 5-speed manual-original owner 255,000- starter- sold $800
1999 Mercedes Benz ML430- original owner -128,000- sitting in our garage with blown transmission
1999 Mercedes Benz E320 4matic- original owner - 91,000 sitting in our garage in limp home mode because of engine and 4matic

BILL
September 29, 2013 at 10:05 pm

I have 98 chevy Silverado z71 with 346000 miles still runs good same engine and tranny its been a great truck

Pete Martucci
September 29, 2013 at 9:26 pm

I drive a 1990 Toyota One Ton P/U (Flatbed) It has 320,000 miles on it. I use it for my runabout. I still have the original engine in it. It's still going strong.

Cary
September 29, 2013 at 9:25 pm

I prematurely traded in my 1995 Grand Caravan at 245,000 for the 1999 Dodge Grand Caravan that I still drive. It has 344,000+ miles on it. It is starting to rust near the bottom of the doors, but it is barely noticeable. This is the second Chrysler van I have owned, that exceeded 240,000 miles.

Ann
September 29, 2013 at 9:23 pm

Wow, with the mileage shown previously, I guess I'm not driving to too many places. I do blow it out on the highway getting up to 80 mpg. I bought a 2000 dodge neon in December of '99 and I got just 70,565 miles on it - oh well, when it falls apart, I will get a 2nd to last car in my lifetime.

Elliott
September 29, 2013 at 9:03 pm

I have a 2001 Ford Escape that I purchase in 2001. It has a little over 300,000 miles on it. I am starting to notice a lot of rust under the car..the body is in decent shape. Not sure what I want to do now (replace all the parts or just give up).

Greg Wright
September 29, 2013 at 8:45 pm

I was the original owner of a 1989 Dodge Grand Caravan. I drove it for 17 years before retiring it with 404,000 miles. Too much rust at that point.

Nancy
September 29, 2013 at 8:28 pm

My 2004 Honda Odyssey has 287,000 miles and despite 2 kids, 2 chocolate labs and hockey equipment in and out over the past 9 years, it still looks and runs great!