Cars Blog

Finance Blogs » Cars » Ram pickup tops car tests

Ram pickup tops car tests

By Tara Baukus Mello · Bankrate.com
Wednesday, July 17, 2013

The new Ram 1500, which received a mild makeover for the 2013 model year, is now at the top of Consumer Reports annual rankings of full-size pickups. The nonprofit group recently completed testing of the 2013 Ram 1500, and the freshened model received the highest score, 78.

“The Ram 1500 is surprisingly luxurious and refined -- but still fully capable of doing hard work when needed,” said Jake Fisher, director of Consumer Reports’ Auto Test Center in East Haddam, Conn., said in a statement.

car-blog-2013-Dodge-Ram-Consumer-Reports-garage
Because the Ram 1500 has been reliable in past years, Consumer Reports has also given the truck a "recommended" designation. The designation is based on a good performance in government and industry crash tests, a good performance in the group's own tests as well as the reliability of the model in previous years, according to the group's annual auto survey.

Other full-size pickup trucks tested include the Toyota Tundra, which scored 69, and the Ford F-150, which scored 68. The redesigned 2014 Chevrolet Silverado is still undergoing tests at Consumer Reports' East Haddam, Conn., facility and will be announced in late summer.

Tara Baukus Mello writes the cars blog as well as the weekly Driving for Dollars column, providing both practical financial advice for consumers as well as insight into the latest developments in the automotive world. Follow her on Facebook here or on Twitter @SheDrives.

JEFF HITT SR
July 19, 2013 at 10:58 am

own a 2004 Dodge Ram 1500 quad slt and i wouldn't have anything but used to work for Ford and belive me the F-150 bcan't come close to matching the Dodge in anything the truck just turned 100,000 miles and pers like the loin it was the day i took it home no engine or trans problems only use castrol oil and lucas oil additive since it was new dealer wants me to trade but i'm not ready yet think i 'll want couple more miles

Pascal Nasta
July 19, 2013 at 10:55 am

I own a 2010 Dodge, Big Horn, 3.92 rear. My experience has been excellent. I have had several lincolns and fords in the past. Not sure about what dodge did in the past, but when i test drove the 2010 i was so impressed with how more confortable and tighter than the dodge is compared to Fords (Lincoln included). The Dodge has been more reliable too. Where the Dodge absolutely excels is the the drivetrain, power and the way the drive train is tuned and setup with the engine. I love the responsiveness of the drivetrain. SO much better than anyone else onthe market. If you are in the market for a pickup you need to test drive the dodge/Ram. Now if only Ram made an Expedition/Navigator like product!!! SOLD.

Dan D.
July 19, 2013 at 10:33 am

Hey mel gallant, that's BS. My White 2004 Ram doesn't have a bit or rust and my Red 2008 looks like brand new. I live in New England where they paint the roads with salts all winter long.

Ainokea
July 19, 2013 at 8:56 am

I will not own anything with the names "Dodge" and "Ram". Just seems to invite problems.

Richard
July 19, 2013 at 8:54 am

I was always a Ford owner until I had a 2005 350 crew cab dully with the 6.0L diesel that had bad head gaskets and fried turbo. All under warrenty, but the Ford dealer would not repair it. I turned against Ford and now own a 2010 3500 crew cab dully RAM. It is like night and day difference between the ford and Ram, with the RAM running circles around the ford. Will never go back. I pull a 12,000 lb camper and this RAM does not even break a sweat.

Michelle
July 19, 2013 at 8:32 am

reply to the comment that it will be rotted & rusty in 3 yrs....if you take it to a place like Carrara's Hot Oil Rust Proofing they will oil undercoat your Dodge or any other vehicle you have and if you do it ever 6 to 12 months you will never have rust or corrosion and your vehicle's body and frame will out last your motor and all other components....Believe me, take the challenge and reap reward!

Tony Dugo
July 19, 2013 at 8:06 am

I own a 2011 Dodge Ram crew cab with the Hemi...first dodge truck i have owened....at it wont be the last.....Its an AWESOME Truck.....with tons of power when needed.....great fuel economy on highway for such a big truck....rides nice....yet ready to haul anything you want...Previously owned a 2003 Chevy Avalanche....what a disappointment that was....Ram has certainly come along way.....Nice....

mel gallant
July 19, 2013 at 7:26 am

that is nice but in three years it will be rotted and rusted all over.

Bucky
July 19, 2013 at 7:21 am

If ya cant afford a Dodge truck, well I guess yer guna have to buy what ya can !!

Dave
July 19, 2013 at 6:56 am

Currently driving a 2011 Bighorn RAM Quad Hemi powered pickup truck for work after 3 Ford F150's. It rides better, HAULS more weight with no effort and gets better gas miledge than any of the Fords and Chevy's in our fleet of 16 pickups. Mine is one of two Dodge / RAM's in the fleet at this time. It turned 110,000 this week with ZERO problems since day one. Oh and it was $4,500.00 less than the Foed F150 Ecoboost vehicles we bought with more standard options and free siriusXM radio for a year. Not what all the Dodge haters want to here I'm sure. I just can't consider the Toyota vehicles being born and raised in Detroit. Even if it is 1% more american parts than the others. Sorry, ......... No I'm not!