Cars Blog

Finance Blogs » Cars » Ram pickup tops car tests

Ram pickup tops car tests

By Tara Baukus Mello · Bankrate.com
Wednesday, July 17, 2013

The new Ram 1500, which received a mild makeover for the 2013 model year, is now at the top of Consumer Reports annual rankings of full-size pickups. The nonprofit group recently completed testing of the 2013 Ram 1500, and the freshened model received the highest score, 78.

“The Ram 1500 is surprisingly luxurious and refined -- but still fully capable of doing hard work when needed,” said Jake Fisher, director of Consumer Reports’ Auto Test Center in East Haddam, Conn., said in a statement.

car-blog-2013-Dodge-Ram-Consumer-Reports-garage
Because the Ram 1500 has been reliable in past years, Consumer Reports has also given the truck a "recommended" designation. The designation is based on a good performance in government and industry crash tests, a good performance in the group's own tests as well as the reliability of the model in previous years, according to the group's annual auto survey.

Other full-size pickup trucks tested include the Toyota Tundra, which scored 69, and the Ford F-150, which scored 68. The redesigned 2014 Chevrolet Silverado is still undergoing tests at Consumer Reports' East Haddam, Conn., facility and will be announced in late summer.

Tara Baukus Mello writes the cars blog as well as the weekly Driving for Dollars column, providing both practical financial advice for consumers as well as insight into the latest developments in the automotive world. Follow her on Facebook here or on Twitter @SheDrives.

joe
July 19, 2013 at 2:46 am

I just bought my brand new 1500 ram truck for my birthday,and i am very impress with the performance on how it handles on the road.The people that i come across when they see my truck,they ask me about how they like the color which is "copper head pearl"from which it grabs every eyes attention.This truck has been a dream come true to me because i always wanted to own a nice pickup that have some power and torque and glad that it has been rated the best in comparison to other trucks.

Ray
July 19, 2013 at 12:51 am

As a ranger for three different federal agencies, I drove 4wd Dodge, Ford and Chevy. Most of my patrols were off road. My POV is an F150, my preference because of my experience with all three makes.

Bruce Madeley
July 19, 2013 at 12:33 am

Why o why so much chrome on a utility vehicle. We have to import chromium from Russia. Makes no sense.

Allen
July 19, 2013 at 12:06 am

I love my Dodge truck! (Enough said!)...Oh, and I love my wife more...(enough said!)

Rick
July 18, 2013 at 11:53 pm

I bought a 2009 Dodge 1500 4x4 brand new. I pull a 28 ft trailer which, when loaded is about 7,500lbs. I bought it with the tow package and a 3:92 axle. It pulls terrific and when not pulling the trailer gets great gas mileage or a big Hemi. The ride is the best I have ever had in a pickup and I have had Chevys, Fords, Dodges and 1 Toyota (Big Mistake). Besides that I have a lifetime warranty on the drivetrain as long as I own it. I might keep it forever.

Larry
July 18, 2013 at 11:46 pm

I never owned a Dodge or Chevy pullers.I have a 2002 Ford F 250 with the 7.3 turbo and only have 90k miles on it.Air bags in rear that I never really need.Does with no probs anything I ever needed the truck to do in confort.

ladylansing
July 18, 2013 at 11:24 pm

I owned a 99 dodge laramie 1500 4x4 quadcab for ten years traded it in on a 09 dodge 1500 4x4 crew cab and 4 yrs later still a very happy camper and it does pull a 29' travel trailer. The 99 only problem was a small amount of rust below the door.

Happydayze
July 18, 2013 at 11:07 pm

i drove Chevy's for over thirty years. Very dependable trucks. Then in 1999, I bought a Ford F-150 4x4. 14 years, and runs better now than the day I bought it! I'm 65 now. Looks like it'll be my last truck. You never know if that truck is a keeper until after 5 or 6 years. If it's still running good, You got a good truck... I am, Happydayze in Washington :)

Chuck
July 18, 2013 at 11:05 pm

Go Thundra! JD Powers rated it the best!

Chuck
July 18, 2013 at 11:03 pm

I drive a 381 horse truck with 401 ft of torque.........you never know when you will have to pull a Space Shuttle! Oh by the way it is built in Austin Tex, and it is built with 75% American parts. Only the Ford F-150 and the Honda Ridgeline can say that. The Ram 1500 is only 70% American made. GMC Sierra is only 62% and the Chey Avalanche is only 60% American made.