Cars Blog

Finance Blogs » Cars » Ram 1500: 2013 Truck of the Year

Ram 1500: 2013 Truck of the Year

By Tara Baukus Mello · Bankrate.com
Monday, January 14, 2013

The Ram 1500 was named the 2013 North American Truck/Utility of the Year today at the North American International Auto Show in Detroit. The Ram 1500 beat out finalists Ford C-Max and Mazda CX-5 for the honor.

Redesigned for 2013, the Ram 1500 features a new, more aerodynamic shape and new frame with improved stability and handling, with decreased noise, vibration and harshness. The interior also has been redesigned with an improved fit and finish and more upscale materials.

It features the latest version of the Uconnect built-in wireless system with 8.4-inch screen, new climate controls and a new 3.5-inch vehicle-information screen in the instrument panel that's standard on all models. Other standard features include keyless entry and start, steering-wheel controls and a new air suspension that improves the ride, eases passenger entry and exit, and enhances off-road capability.

Starting at $22,640, the 2013 Ram 1500 features best-in-class fuel economy in the new 305-horsepower, 3.6-liter V-6 engine paired with a new eight-speed automatic transmission, which gets 18 mpg in the city and 25 highway mpg. A 395-horsepower, 5.7-liter Hemi V-8 is also available as an option. Other fuel-economy improvements on all models come from the extensive weight reduction through the use of advanced high-strength steel, aluminum suspension components and an aluminum hood, electric power steering, and low rolling-resistance tires.

Fred Diaz, president and CEO, Ram Truck Brand, accepts the North American Truck of the Year award for the 2013 Ram 1500 at the North American International Auto Show.

The prestigious award is given by a group of 49 automotive journalists from the United States and Canada and is financed solely from jurors' dues. The group initially considers all cars that are brand new or substantially redesigned for 2013. This is the second time in the award's history that the Ram 1500 won. The first time was in 1994, the inaugural year of the award.

What do you think of the Ram 1500? Is it a better choice than the other two trucks?

Tara Baukus Mello writes the cars blog as well as the weekly Driving for Dollars column, providing both practical financial advice for consumers as well as insight into the latest developments in the automotive world. Follow her on Facebook here or on Twitter @SheDrives.

Olde Grand Dad
January 15, 2013 at 6:57 pm

For work, I would probably use an F-150 or a GM truck. They have more load and towing capability. But if you want a personal truck, go with the Dodge. It has a more accommodating ride, will carry more cargo than most of us will need, and will tow most boats and campers. The key thing is it's more people friendly.

Kevin
January 15, 2013 at 6:24 pm

I have an 03 RAM 2500 with the HEMI, which I've owned about a year now. I like it for the most part, but I do have two main complains. I don't like the shift points of the auto trans. Up shifts too soon, and doesn't downshift soon enough, so the engine is always lugging. Which probably contributes to my second complaint...gas mileage is terrible, 9 MPG! I know it's big truck, I don't expect it to get great gas mileage, but 9 MPG really sucks!

nancy mackie
January 15, 2013 at 6:15 pm

i own a 1998 dodge dakota, and love it, tough little truck, get asked everyday do i want to sell it answer no.............and i am a little ole granny!!

Herb
January 15, 2013 at 6:09 pm

Let's face it, the Ram 1500 is definately a head turner. Most people agree on one thing, this truck has it all.

Tom
January 15, 2013 at 5:54 pm

I have a 2012 Dodge Crew Cab - Looks great, nicely appointed inside - drives like :poop: - pulls hard to the left on the freeway - dealership blames it on the curve of the road and 20 inch tires... Also had it in the shop for a few different reasons. Owned F150's, never had a problem. As soon as I can dump the RAM - Im going back to Ford. Only bought the Dodge because it looked impressive and was cheaper. You get what you pay for.

andre
January 15, 2013 at 5:33 pm

I OWN A 2010 DODGE 1500 AND IT SUCKS I CAN,T EVEN SELL IT TO MY FRIENDS BECAUSE THE SEE ALL THE PROBLEMS I HAVE HAD WITH THIS PIECE OF JUNK.

jack
January 15, 2013 at 5:27 pm

My 95 Ram1500 has 150,000 I recently put new brakes and some front drive work because I intend to keep it for awhile, it's been a good truck. I bought it new and put on a lot of rough miles in Wyoming

Jim
January 15, 2013 at 4:55 pm

I own a F150 2003 shortbed crew and could not be happier - one son has a 2011 f150 short bed crew-another son has a 2007 F250, diesel and tows a gigantic house trailer with it all over the country, no peoblems and he loves it - I have owned ford trucks and cars my whole life and have nothing but compliments for those well built vehicles. I wouldn't own a Chrysler built vehicle if it was given to me. My brother has owned several Chrysler builts and they virtually stayed in the shop.

Tom
January 15, 2013 at 4:46 pm

I had a new 2003 Ram 1500 and started to feel the transmission slipping after 1 year. I dumped it before 50,000 and got a new 2005 GMC Siera and have 146,000 miles and running great. My mechanic say he has much more trouble with Rams than Chevy or Fords.

john
January 15, 2013 at 4:46 pm

I never owned a doge so I can't rate it, however I have a 2008 G Denali and I love it.