Cars Blog

Finance Blogs » Cars » Ram 1500: 2013 Truck of the Year

Ram 1500: 2013 Truck of the Year

By Tara Baukus Mello · Bankrate.com
Monday, January 14, 2013

The Ram 1500 was named the 2013 North American Truck/Utility of the Year today at the North American International Auto Show in Detroit. The Ram 1500 beat out finalists Ford C-Max and Mazda CX-5 for the honor.

Redesigned for 2013, the Ram 1500 features a new, more aerodynamic shape and new frame with improved stability and handling, with decreased noise, vibration and harshness. The interior also has been redesigned with an improved fit and finish and more upscale materials.

It features the latest version of the Uconnect built-in wireless system with 8.4-inch screen, new climate controls and a new 3.5-inch vehicle-information screen in the instrument panel that's standard on all models. Other standard features include keyless entry and start, steering-wheel controls and a new air suspension that improves the ride, eases passenger entry and exit, and enhances off-road capability.

Starting at $22,640, the 2013 Ram 1500 features best-in-class fuel economy in the new 305-horsepower, 3.6-liter V-6 engine paired with a new eight-speed automatic transmission, which gets 18 mpg in the city and 25 highway mpg. A 395-horsepower, 5.7-liter Hemi V-8 is also available as an option. Other fuel-economy improvements on all models come from the extensive weight reduction through the use of advanced high-strength steel, aluminum suspension components and an aluminum hood, electric power steering, and low rolling-resistance tires.

Fred Diaz, president and CEO, Ram Truck Brand, accepts the North American Truck of the Year award for the 2013 Ram 1500 at the North American International Auto Show.

The prestigious award is given by a group of 49 automotive journalists from the United States and Canada and is financed solely from jurors' dues. The group initially considers all cars that are brand new or substantially redesigned for 2013. This is the second time in the award's history that the Ram 1500 won. The first time was in 1994, the inaugural year of the award.

What do you think of the Ram 1500? Is it a better choice than the other two trucks?

Tara Baukus Mello writes the cars blog as well as the weekly Driving for Dollars column, providing both practical financial advice for consumers as well as insight into the latest developments in the automotive world. Follow her on Facebook here or on Twitter @SheDrives.

Jim H
January 20, 2013 at 3:24 pm

We purchased a 2013 1500 Laramie on Friday and are still learning about all the bells and whistles-it is fully loaded.I loved the 2010 Ram I traded in,it was just a 1500 crew-cab with the hemi and a 3.90 rear-end.I got 19.1 mpg on the last road trip to Vegas in Oct(including 4 in-town trips to the drag strip)and after 2 and a half years the trade-in allowance was 4k more than was owed-so Rams seem to hold their value.The 2010 was the first non-chevy I've owned (other than some Mopar factory race cars in the 60's)and i'm completely satisfied with the Dodge trucks

Lisa
January 20, 2013 at 2:40 pm

Chrysler/Dodge vehicles never get the gas mileage they say they will.

Jerry
January 20, 2013 at 2:32 pm

Dodge is perfect if you don't actually have use it to work with.

Jim
January 20, 2013 at 1:41 pm

I have owned a couple of Dodge trucks as well as a Ford and Chevy truck and there is no comparison. The Dodge is a much much better choice! 25-30 years ago I would not even consider a Chrysler/Dodge product but they have since become the vehicles of choice again.

Gary
January 20, 2013 at 12:56 pm

I own both Chevrolet and Ford trucks, but never cared for any of the Chrysler products except for the muscle car days and even then I was a GM and Ford fan. Guess that is wyh they make different brands as each one has it's fans. Congrats to Dodge on te award, but they will never get my money!

POPEYE
January 20, 2013 at 12:51 pm

I agree, I have a 2003 1500 RAM. Most confortable ride, only problem is the diverter door for the heater broke a while back and Dodge wants a small fortune to fix it . Don't know why it's not covered under warrenty .

Nani
January 20, 2013 at 12:23 pm

I agree with Rex. I owned a 2001 1500 Laramie SLX. I was in 2 rear end collisions and the truck still ran like new. The only reason I gave it up was because I was sideswiped and it was totaled. However I bought the 2012 1500 and Love it!

Ed
January 20, 2013 at 10:15 am

I like the Dodge Ram and have owned a 1998 and 2002 and both ran great until they reach the 70,000 + mile mark. The 2002 may have been from the poor service recived from NorthWest Dodge service department in Houston. I have a 2010 GMC now and it's a great truck. I will say, I have test driven the newer Rams and there are times I think about going back to Dodge. The only problem is, I would have to deal with Northwest Dodge again, and I don't need the head ache. The 2013 Ram looks really nice!

Rex
January 20, 2013 at 8:18 am

It's about time. I have a 2003 Dodge Ram 1500 Laramie ThunderRoad edition I bought new. 10-years and 100,000 miles later I am very, very happy with it. It still looks, sounds, runs, and feels like new. Much fewer problems with it than any other make/model I've ever owned. Easy to work on, very dependable and a work horse. Been back/forth accross the mountains numerous times and she's hauled a 26-ft travel trailer and 18-ft boat regularly. It's about time to upgrade and get me a newer, better gas-mileaged model. I LOVE Dodge!

gary
January 18, 2013 at 10:13 pm

dodge..a perfect waste of a vehicle..BOWTIE FAN.