Cars Blog

Finance Blogs » Cars » NYPD cop surprised with new car

NYPD cop surprised with new car

By Tara Baukus Mello · Bankrate.com
Wednesday, September 4, 2013

File this away under the "terrific surprises to make you smile" category. New York City police officer Michael Dee was surprised recently at a family barbecue with the title to his current car and the keys to a second car. The surprise was orchestrated by Toyota because Dee became Toyota's 50 millionth customer when he bought a Toyota Camry earlier this year.

To celebrate the company milestone, Bill Fay, a Toyota Motor Sales group vice president and general manager of the Toyota division, arrived at Dee's home with balloons, the title to Dee's Camry and the keys to a 2013 Toyota RAV4. Earlier, Toyota had paid off Dee's car loan on the Camry.

Dee, a 20-year veteran of the NYPD, was shocked.

"I don't know what to say. This is phenomenal. I can't explain how much this means to my family and how grateful we are to Toyota. The whole 'thank you' thing just doesn't seem to cut it," Dee said, according to a Toyota press release.

Does Toyota's generosity make you want to go out and buy a Camry?

Tara Baukus Mello writes the cars blog as well as the weekly Driving for Dollars column, providing both practical financial advice for consumers as well as insight into the latest developments in the automotive world. Follow her on Facebook here or on Twitter @SheDrives.

Esther
September 06, 2013 at 7:05 pm

Excellent! An unexpected generosity to someone who is a "regular guy". To those who think Toyota could have, or should have, done more- Not only do you NOT know what they have or have not done with regards to charitable work- but who are you to say they should do more?

Well done Toyota- great product and nice attitude towards the consumer as you celebrate your milestone!

DON
September 06, 2013 at 5:36 pm

one it is not against the law for a police officer to take a gift...two it would be considered a gratuity and that is when he is on the job working or the gift is to influence his position....three they probably did not even know he was a cop...four why don't you risk your life every day and then think before you make such stupid comments...five congrats to one of NYPD finest

gemariah
September 06, 2013 at 5:27 pm

doesn't impress me at all. 50million before giving one away. If they had given his car to him for free that would have impressed me more. Given the free car to someone who needed it to get to work would impress me. Give the other car to Social Services so they could take a bunch of people to interviews and work -- more impressive. The 50 millioneth customer could have been A-rod or Tom Hanks, why would they need a free car.

mark
September 06, 2013 at 5:09 pm

i think its against the law for police to accept free gifts. my father was a police officer for 30 years,i could be wrong.

John
September 06, 2013 at 4:58 pm

-Doesn't do nothing for me. When I was young this very poor lady won a new Mustang from a cereal promotion. Now I really liked that because the lady was poor, trying to raise a family,and really needed that car. It's nice the officer won the car but he already had at least one new car and if a needy family would have won it I would have been impressed more.

Linda Rogers
September 06, 2013 at 4:22 pm

NO its atax write off for them so they didn't spend any money

Jan
September 06, 2013 at 4:16 pm

Glad to see Toyota do something nice for the consumer. That was above and beyond! I'm not surprised at the story about Mazda where all he got back was advertising. Some companies just get too big and the customer is just a dollar sign always these days.

randy
September 06, 2013 at 4:15 pm

it took the 50millionth customer to do that yikes.......

Roy Glunt
September 06, 2013 at 3:22 pm

Well this is a great thing to see happen, and the fact that a automobile manufacturer does this is just plain great to see. It would be nice to see other manufacturers do something similar. To prove my point on this, my wife currently drives a Mazda Protégé , with 430k miles on the original engine and drive train. I thought that Mazda Corporation would have like to know this, so I sent the President of Mazda of the American branch, and all I received back was advertisement on their current cars in case I was interested in buying a new Mazda. So I have to say it is nice to see Toyota do such a nice thing for a current owner of one of their vehicles, and maybe someday other manufacturers will learn from this display of generosity.

Pati C.
September 06, 2013 at 2:48 pm

I would buy a Toyota anyway but this is a fantastic thing that they did and I cogratulate the winner. We have purchased 12 Toyotas since 1981, mostly new, but a few used for our teenagers to drive...we felt that they were safe, reliable vehicles for teens and our kids certainly put them to the test. Several accidents, 2 of them complete totals and not one injury, thank God!! When I asked my husband what he wanted for our anniversary this past May, he said a new Tacoma...wish granted in Barcelona Red...