Cars Blog

Finance Blogs » Cars » Lexus, Subaru, Mazda get top car scores

Lexus, Subaru, Mazda get top car scores

By Tara Baukus Mello · Bankrate.com
Saturday, March 9, 2013

Lexus, Subaru and Mazda had the highest scores for their cars on the 2013 Annual Car Brand Report Card from Consumer Reports, which was released last week.

This year, the nonprofit, independent product-testing organization took a different approach to its annual report card ratings, assessing each car brand individually versus combining brands into one score for the parent auto manufacturer. For example, each of General Motors' brands were assessed individually this year as were the other automakers that own multiple brands, including Chrysler, Ford, Honda, Nissan, Toyota and Volkswagen.

Lexus performed the best, with a report card score of 79 out of 100, followed by Mazda and Subaru, which tied with a score of 76. Japanese brands overall scored the highest, with eight of the top 10 brands. European automakers were generally in the middle of the pack, though Audi and Mercedes-Benz were both in the top 10, and Mini was ranked dead last among all European brands.

Consumer Reports said that domestic brands struggled in the scores. Even though Ford and General Motors have many promising new models, these automakers have been plagued by low scores because of technology issues or new engines that don’t perform as well as competitors. Chrysler continues to struggle because of reliability issues and many older models that are not as strong as its competitors.

The nonprofit calculated its report card scores based on its road-test and reliability scores for each individual model, assessing both areas equally. Consumer Reports methodology requires data for at least three models for a brand. As a result, its 2013 Car Brand Report Card does not include Fiat, Jaguar, Land Rover, Mitsubishi, Porsche, Ram or smart.

Tara Baukus Mello writes the cars blog as well as the weekly Driving for Dollars column, providing both practical financial advice for consumers as well as insight into the latest developments in the automotive world. Follow her on Facebook here or on Twitter @SheDrives.

Denny B
March 15, 2013 at 4:42 pm

I am so glad to discoever that only the opinions of good spellers should be counted. When it comes to cars, give me the uneducted poor spellin bee purformers any day.

Chief
March 14, 2013 at 12:37 pm

Wow...I think Big Dog was right about your comments not being posed if you call 'em like you see 'em.

Jim
March 14, 2013 at 11:34 am

Yes, it's the smart people like Brian that knows what is best for the rest of us morons.Thank-you Brian for all that you do and by the way can you find your way to an airport ?

bob
March 14, 2013 at 10:23 am

and i feel good about supportng american companies since there cars now days are equal if not better then your foreign brands,,unlike back in the 80s,,,im very happy with my buick la crosse and ford truck

Edward Garcia
March 14, 2013 at 10:13 am

Hyundai is were its at;) I have owned many vehicles and been turning wrenches my whole life.I can honestly say Hyundai is the least brand I see in my shop and one of the least overall repair costs when I am working on one. I now own a 2013 Santa Fe Sport 2.0 Turbo and a 2006 Tiburon GT V6. Hyundai has been creaping up for years, their entire existance has been success with each year out doing the past. today they are one of the largest auto manufacters, recently reconized as, The number one owner loyalty brand, over honda. Even through the worst time's Hyundai was reporting sales records over their previuos year. Not to mention their ever growing sister Co. KIA is also doing very well with their Hyundai inspired power trains and platforms.Just pop the hood you will see hyundai stamps all over a KIA. Hyundai has also got their hands in steel production, as one of the largest producers of steel and even more, they desighn and manufacture robotic manufacturing plants also with cutting edge technology and a genuine concern for the environment, with significant and costly measures in place to protect the natural surroundings. Over all I feel Hyundai is an extraordinary Co. with an impressive track record.

bob
March 14, 2013 at 10:11 am

oh by the way the car is 13 yrs old..

bob
March 14, 2013 at 10:09 am

just seen it on the news,,,,,nissan recalling 500k cars..the last couple yrs toyota has had more recalls then gm and ford combined..my daughers gran am has 220k miles with no major problems...maybe a couple sensors and 1 starter

Brian
March 14, 2013 at 9:59 am

The comments by Mike and Chuck should be completely disregarded since both are apparently unable to spell or compose grammatically correct sentences.

My experience with Lexus and Subaru vehicles is compatible with the findings of Consumer Reports.

Chuck
March 14, 2013 at 9:27 am

This is a prime example of why not to read consumer reports!! I would be curious to know what brand of automobile's are driven by the people that came up with this garbage! I know, the guy in charge drives a Lexus and the others drive Mazda and Subaru? I higly doubt it. I drive a King Ranch Ford wich has 123,000 on it and have never done anyting other than routine maintenence. My Son has an Explorer with 189,000 on it and maintenence is the only thing that he has had to do. And yes, they were both bought new. Your welcome

Mike
March 14, 2013 at 6:52 am

I have been driving GM cars and trucks all my life and have owned other brands also. Gm is by far the best product I have ever owned. I do the regular maintinace and they run till dead I get well over 200000 on my cars and trucks. My partner has 437000 on his truck and has only replace the trans and its still going. My dad is a ford guy and his cars and trucks he has owned has done hime good also. I think Gm is a bit better.I really think most cars an trucks are good if takken care of properly.