Cars Blog

Finance Blogs » Cars » Impala named top sedan

Impala named top sedan

By Tara Baukus Mello · Bankrate.com
Saturday, July 27, 2013

The 2014 Chevrolet Impala was named the top large sedan in recent Consumer Reports testing, outscoring luxury competitors that cost up to $20,000 more and marking the first domestic brand car to get the top rating in two decades.

car-blog-2014-Chevrolet-Impala

The Chevy Impala, which has been redesigned for 2014, went from the bottom of its category in Consumer Reports with a score of 63 to a score of 95. The new high score puts it at the top of its category, "large sedan," as well as puts it in third place of all cars the nonprofit has tested, right behind the Tesla Model S and the BMW 135i coupe.

Consumer Reports found that the new 2014 Chevrolet Impala competes with cars that cost as much as $20,000 more, including the Audi A6, Acura RLX, Jaguar XF and Lexus LS460L. Still, the nonprofit cannot give the new Impala its "recommended" rating, since it is too new to have reliability data.

Are you surprised the new Impala has made such an impressive showing? Would you consider buying it over an import sedan?

Tara Baukus Mello writes the cars blog as well as the weekly Driving for Dollars column, providing both practical financial advice for consumers as well as insight into the latest developments in the automotive world. Follow her on Facebook here or on Twitter @SheDrives.

SK2
August 04, 2013 at 6:01 pm

Bill's right, it's for the Chinese market. Ford will build the Lincoln soon in China for that market also. We bought the Ford Focus (because they didn't take the gov't bait) and I'm knocking down up to 45 mpg on the road with a light foot. By the way, today is Coast Guard day, Aug 4, 1790!!

Rollo
August 04, 2013 at 5:46 pm

That true Gunny GM took 1.9billion of our tax payer money to build a Caddy plant in China . More American jobs gone . Detroit first isnt that what Obummer said . I think i will stick with the big 3 Toyota , Honda and VW !

Tom Johnston
August 04, 2013 at 5:20 pm

Was all set to buy a BMW. I saw Consumer report's write up on the 2014 Impala so I thought I would test drive one, not expecting what I experienced. I drove one with a 305HP 6 and was very pleasantly surprised. I knew I wanted to own it and I got a great deal. If you don't drive one you'll never know what your missing.

Ron
August 04, 2013 at 5:16 pm

Since I drive the wheels off my cars - I'll stick with Toyota, Honda and Nissan. Rarely a problem - Very 1st Toyota I bought outlasted 3 America nameplates. I haven't looked back and see no reason to now. Especially since the "Asian" nameplates are usually built in the USA.

Bill
August 04, 2013 at 5:01 pm

Gunny Larry, True enough Cadillac will build vehicles in China but it is for the expanding Chinese market. Those vehicles will still be built here for U.S. sale. So relax you won't be supporting the commies if you buy one.

jim
August 04, 2013 at 4:37 pm

impala looks great drives like a bmw

Tim
August 04, 2013 at 12:55 pm

Is that horse hide on the dash,looks stupid.You need to hire better design engineers.

michael
August 04, 2013 at 12:31 pm

you must be kidding

Gunny Larry
August 04, 2013 at 11:50 am

I was in the market for a GM Yukon XL Denali until I learned that the manufacture of their Cadillac SUV line will eventually be built exclusively in China. The Yukon and Cadillac SUV line share the basic body style and power plant, but Cadillac has a more exclusive and expensive trim level. I will therefore stick to my tried and true Ford products that have served me well for five decades, and are built here in he USA where American's, not Commies, need the jobs. Most of the forgoing opinions read as though they were penned by mental midgets who wouldn't know an 'Internal Combustion Engine' from tea cup.

Hal
August 04, 2013 at 11:49 am

Looks okay but I bought heavy duty sneakers (90K mile rating)!