Cars Blog

Finance Blogs » Cars » Impala named top sedan

Impala named top sedan

By Tara Baukus Mello · Bankrate.com
Saturday, July 27, 2013

The 2014 Chevrolet Impala was named the top large sedan in recent Consumer Reports testing, outscoring luxury competitors that cost up to $20,000 more and marking the first domestic brand car to get the top rating in two decades.

car-blog-2014-Chevrolet-Impala

The Chevy Impala, which has been redesigned for 2014, went from the bottom of its category in Consumer Reports with a score of 63 to a score of 95. The new high score puts it at the top of its category, "large sedan," as well as puts it in third place of all cars the nonprofit has tested, right behind the Tesla Model S and the BMW 135i coupe.

Consumer Reports found that the new 2014 Chevrolet Impala competes with cars that cost as much as $20,000 more, including the Audi A6, Acura RLX, Jaguar XF and Lexus LS460L. Still, the nonprofit cannot give the new Impala its "recommended" rating, since it is too new to have reliability data.

Are you surprised the new Impala has made such an impressive showing? Would you consider buying it over an import sedan?

Tara Baukus Mello writes the cars blog as well as the weekly Driving for Dollars column, providing both practical financial advice for consumers as well as insight into the latest developments in the automotive world. Follow her on Facebook here or on Twitter @SheDrives.

jackie B
August 05, 2013 at 1:01 pm

P.S. and with 248,000 miles, it is still going strong.

jackie B
August 05, 2013 at 1:00 pm

I have 248,000 miles on my Impala. I bought it as a program car with 9,500 miles on it in 2004. I replaced the water pump last year and with nothing other than regular maintenance I have been very pleased with my car and the fact I get around 33 mpg. I definitely will look at them again when I get ready for another car.

jackie B
August 05, 2013 at 12:56 pm

Oops! I did forget, I had trouble with the speedometer and had to have a new one right after I bought it, but other than the water pump going out, no other major problems

BriFry
August 05, 2013 at 10:14 am

All the NASCAR racers should be happy about this one, maybe they should start racing Buick Lacrosse also. The car is virtually the same except for the name badges and interior packages. Chevrolet gets it right this time, excepting the recalls it might just workout fine.

mike
August 05, 2013 at 1:03 am

@ Paul K,

You have no idea what your talking about. There are tens of thousands of Impala's on the road with MORE mileage than that.
This by all accounts is a fine car, its not designed to take on BMW and Mercedes, A base three costs as much as this loaded. As far as overall cost of ownership goes it will spank them also, the bumper cover alone costs almost 2 grand for a beemer. Go away.

Paul K
August 04, 2013 at 11:59 pm

Beware...it will fall apart in 2 years....don't be fooled by all the 'icing'.....how well it lasts is the real test!!!! BMW and Mercedes have proven.....you get what you pay for

Not many Impalas on the road at 150k miles

richard
August 04, 2013 at 10:40 pm

I purchased the first 2014 Impala sold in Oklahoma. It is the LS with the 4 cylinder 2.5 engine. I have never been happier with a new car. the folks ant Chevrolet got it right on this one I cant believe how responsive the 4 cylinder engine is the gearing is just right. I commute 100 miles a day and average 34 miles a gallon with 4 big guys in the car and everybody is comfortable. Like Phil says. HAPPY HAPPY HAPPY

Pat Steele
August 04, 2013 at 9:27 pm

So glad to see a car manufactured in the USA be rated tops!

JohnM.
August 04, 2013 at 8:02 pm

We owned a 2007 Impala that we were very happy with, but we wanted to upgrade to a deluxe sedan. We ended up with a 2012 Camry hybrid which is also very nice but still lacking in the luxury full sized sedan area and for 36K ,I expected a better car than the camry,ever though it does get about 36mpg combined. I'm sure it could get better mileage if it was to run on regular gas instead of 10% ethanol So I will be visiting my local Chevy dealer ,real soon, to give the new 2014 Impala a try out.

PeterM.
August 04, 2013 at 7:18 pm

I drove one the other day and i loved it,it's a pleasure to drive,roomy,smooth and quick,very well appointed,i'm going to buy one of these for myself.