Cars Blog

Finance Blogs » Cars » Cadillac ATS: 2013 Car of the Year

Cadillac ATS: 2013 Car of the Year

By Tara Baukus Mello · Bankrate.com
Monday, January 14, 2013

The Cadillac ATS has won the prestigious 2013 North American Car of the Year today at the North American International Auto Show in Detroit. The Cadillac ATS was named the winner, beating out the Ford Fusion and the Honda Accord.

The Cadillac ATS is new for 2013. The compact luxury sedan is the least expensive model that Cadillac builds, with a starting price of $33,095. Designed for performance, the ATS comes standard with sport suspension, 17-inch wheels, rear-wheel drive, and a 202-horsepower, 2.5-liter, four-cylinder engine. Two other engines, a 272-horsepower, 2-liter, turbocharged four-cylinder, and a 321-horsepower, 3.6-liter V-6, are available. It also comes in an optional all-wheel-drive version. All of the engines are paired with a six-speed automatic transmission, while a six-speed manual is available with the turbocharged engine.

Standard interior features includes keyless access, push-button start, driver-reconfigurable head-up display, a seven-speaker Bose audio system, and Cadillac CUE entertainment and information system. Available features include performance seats with power-adjustable bolsters, navigation, rear-view camera, forward-collision and blind-spot alert systems, lane-departure warning, and adaptive front lighting.

Cadillac U.S. Vice President Don Butler (center-left) and Cadillac Global Vice President Bob Ferguson (center-right) receive the trophy naming the Cadillac ATS the 2013 North American Car of the Year.

The prestigious award is given by a group of 49 automotive journalists from the United States and Canada. The group initially considers all cars that are new or substantially redesigned for 2013.

Tara Baukus Mello writes the cars blog as well as the weekly Driving for Dollars column, providing both practical financial advice for consumers as well as insight into the latest developments in the automotive world. Follow her on Facebook here or on Twitter @SheDrives.

rbrichard
January 15, 2013 at 12:00 pm

Clearly the auto industry has its sights fixed in the rear view mirror. Nicely appointed, huge sheet metal encased performance behemoths prevail over smartly designed modest models that make some attempt to reign in fossil fuel consumption.

Yeah, we bailed out the old GM which may have kept the midwest from falling off the economic cliff but only to produce the same BM it has been doing for the last 40 years?

Man, next year Isreal for me...and I ain't even Jewish

john
January 15, 2013 at 11:59 am

u should move to china and choke on the smog since u love their products so much

Terry
January 15, 2013 at 11:59 am

I have owned a 2 Toyotas, a BMW and currently own a cadillac CTS, A chevy astro and a Mecedes SLK230 kompressor. The first toyota, a celica broke at 33k miles and hat to be towed in. The beemer lived up to it's name BM Trouble You. It broke at 60k miles and had to have it's tranny replaced (under warranty). My Caddie has 83k miles and has never had anything break, it's still on it's original brakes. My chevy astro has 198k miles and is still on it's original brakes and spark plugs and has only had it's front wheel hubs replaced at 180k miles. The only way to judge a vehicle is by the service it has given you, not by someone else's service because no two owners treat and maintain their cars the same. It doesn't matter how many accolades the the car companies and car magazine lavish upon the cars, every brand can make a lemon!!!

john
January 15, 2013 at 11:57 am

woodworth u loser commy. my f150 was almost all made here and over the past 3 years toyota has the most recalls get your facts right idiot

Pastor David
January 15, 2013 at 11:56 am

I have a 2007 CTS which we bought in Dec. 2006. I've had my shares of problems with it from batteries that I've had to replace four times, the steering wheel pressure hose bursted, I have to replace the timing belt. The computer for the radio and cd player had to be replaced, the lock for the glove compartment jammed and in trying to open it it broke. I've had to replace the brake lights two times and now the the brake light on the trunk and the left rear break is not working. It seems as if constantly something new pops up. I thought I had the best car in the world. I pastor a church and when other pastors ask me about the car I just cannot honestly brag a bout it as I wish I could, not to mention that after the first two years, the headlights fogged and I had to pay to have them clean. I hope there is a better car out there as I still like cadillacs but now I am looking elsewhere for another car.

R.Woodworth
January 15, 2013 at 11:55 am

Nissan, Honda, and Toyota make the same........... while making the best quality vehicles with dependability, durability, and value

R.Woodworth
January 15, 2013 at 11:51 am

Bruce........... your money still went to the Criminal. The winning votes were bought........... your Union was GIVEN 41% of Chrysler and 60% of the GM stock.

sjolly
January 15, 2013 at 11:51 am

With regard to ddsturt comment, I have been driving the same car since July, 1974 (coming up on 39 years). Perhaps today car makers need to go back to the basics and forget all this electronic equipment. A stupid "chip" malfunctions and your stranded. At least with the older cars you could limp the car to the nearest garage or home and make repairs that did not run upward to $1000 or more!

Gerald
January 15, 2013 at 11:49 am

I thought Hondas were good until my pretty new 4 cyl Accord started drinking oil. And, Honda pretends that there one qt per 1000 miles is normal. Good Bye, Honda.

Zach
January 15, 2013 at 11:47 am

Love to see the GM haters, thanks to bailout I still make $35 an hour and Love GM .....