Cars Blog

Finance Blogs » Cars » Big car, big damage in crashes

Big car, big damage in crashes

By Tara Baukus Mello · Bankrate.com
Wednesday, September 26, 2012

While you may take comfort in driving a larger vehicle with the knowledge that larger cars are safer in car crashes than smaller ones, many large cars are the ones that cause the most damage to other cars in an accident, according to a recently released study of 2009-2011 model-year vehicles by the Highway Data Loss Institute.

There were two pickups, three sport utility vehicles and one sedan within the top five vehicles that cause the highest property damage liability -- defined as damages inflicted on other people's vehicles and property. The institute's study results were adjusted to factor out all nonvehicle-related issues associated with the claims, including the driver's age, gender and marital status.

The top five vehicles causing the highest property damage liability from most to least are the Dodge Ram 2500 mega 4WD pickup, Chevrolet Tahoe hybrid 4WD SUV, Toyota Tundra double 4WD (long wheelbase) pickup, Mitsubishi Lancer sedan, and, tied for fifth, the GMC Yukon XL 1500 4WD SUV and Land Rover LR2 4WD SUV.

Property damage liability is just one of many factors used in calculating car insurance rates.

Tara Baukus Mello writes the cars blog as well as the weekly Driving for Dollars column, providing both practical financial advice for consumers as well as insight into the latest developments in the automotive world. Follow her on Facebook here or on Twitter @SheDrives.

Don Essig
September 28, 2012 at 6:17 am

Nice to see my truck type on the top of the list.Although I would never want to get in a wreck,if I do,I hope it's with some texting moron....Natural selection...

Ted
September 28, 2012 at 5:31 am

@Kathy, what does this have to do with liberal vs conservative?? Plenty of people text while driving no matter their political affiliation. Get your hate out of here and keep it in your house.

Waverly
September 28, 2012 at 4:26 am

Driving now days requires a 110% of your attention and people insist on staying on their CELL Phones while trying to drive cause many of the accidents people have. Larger vehicles yes.

Kathy
September 28, 2012 at 12:12 am

I'm talking about the original article. The libs want us to drive cracker boxes and keep voting for Dems so they can dictate that the public can only but small cars while the elete Dems are allowed to buy luxury.

Libs want to run your life and continue to do anything that they want.

Kathy
September 28, 2012 at 12:07 am

Just state that you love ALL things Liberal...sountds like you are saying it's that car that is a fault and not the idiot liberal texting while driving!!!

Margie
September 27, 2012 at 11:11 pm

I can vouch for the saftey of the Lincoln MKZ vs. Honda and Toyota. Jan.16,2012 we were hitfrom behind by an Accord, results: rear bumper damage to the MKZ, 1995 Accord, totalled. Then June 16, 2012,my daughter still driving on her learner's permit failed to get the MKZ stopped at a yellow light, floated into the intersection and T-Boned a 1993 Corolla, results: front bumper damage to the MKZ, Corolla totalled. Now I understand why my Dad always said the next best thing to a Sherman tank was his Lincoln.

William ritz
September 27, 2012 at 10:27 pm

I Drive a Grand Mark 2006 and i love it but gas millage is bad,butI feel safe in it when I drive it.Peaple are in a hery to go nowhere and don't pay attection or keep there distance.I hate tail gators.

jim
September 27, 2012 at 9:36 pm

I had A 1992 toyota tercell the car was to low , I could see underneight cars ahead, their bumbers were eye level,
If a ran into the back of them, their bumper would go thru
my windsheild

Mike Comtois
September 27, 2012 at 8:50 pm

As an owner of a 2006 Tundra 4 door 4 wheel drive pick-up, I would like share that it was a mid size Buick centry that totaled my truck. How a vehicle hits an other and at what speed can quickly change what gets the most damage and who goes to the hospital. I'm glad I was in a Toyota Tundra, mt wife and I are alive today because they put people first, and build a safe truck.

Prius Squisher