Cars Blog

Finance Blogs » Cars » 2013 most valuable car brands

2013 most valuable car brands

By Tara Baukus Mello · Bankrate.com
Thursday, June 27, 2013

Toyota is the most valuable car brand, surpassing BMW to take the top spot from the German carmaker in the 2013 BrandZ Top 100 Most Valuable Global Brands study by market research firm Milward Brown. The brand is worth nearly $24.5 billion, a 12 percent increase over last year, and just barely beating BMW, which is worth just over $24 billion, a 2 percent decline from 2012. Mercedes-Benz followed in a distant third, with a value of nearly $18 billion, an 11 percent increase over 2012.

Overall, the Milward Brown study found that brand value of the top 10 brands improved by 5 percent, after a 7 percent decline in 2012. The improvement was primarily attributed to increased sales in the United States, the United Kingdom and China, as well as carmakers increasingly using production strategies to decrease overall costs while adding more luxury features that were previously only available on more expensive cars.

Top 10 most valuable car brands

Rank Brand 2013 brand value in billions Brand value percent change from 2012
1 Toyota $24.5 12%
2 BMW $24 -2%
3 Mercedes-Benz $18 11%
4 Honda $12.4 -2%
5 Nissan $10.2 3%
6 Volkswagen $8.8 3%
7 Ford $7.6 8%
8 Audi $5.5 18%
9 Hyundai $4 11%
10 Lexus $3.5 2%

Which is your favorite brand? Are you surprised by any of the rankings.

Tara Baukus Mello writes the cars blog as well as the weekly Driving for Dollars column, providing both practical financial advice for consumers as well as insight into the latest developments in the automotive world. Follow her on Facebook here or on Twitter @SheDrives.

Eddie
June 28, 2013 at 6:18 pm

I bought a 2007 Lexus ES350 with 5000 miles on in June of 2008, I love this car. never had any mechanical problems with it yet. I hope it stays this way for a long time.

Robert
June 28, 2013 at 6:15 pm

I think Valerie meant high mpg!

James
June 28, 2013 at 5:57 pm

Had a Honda Civic and it was the worst car I have ever owned. Was in the shop more than I ever drove it. Bought a Chevy Monte Carlo and put 138,000 uninterrupted comfortable miles on it until I was t-boned by an idiot!
Waiting for the new Chevy SS (Chevelle?) to come out so I will be the first in line for that Super Sedan!

Anthony
June 28, 2013 at 5:48 pm

I JUST PURCHASED A CERTIFIED PRE-OWNED 2009 Nissan Altima 2.5 S
AND IT IS BY FAR AND DEFINITELY ONE OF THE NICEST VEHICLES I'VE EVER DRIVEN.!

I VOTE NISSAN FIRST FOR FOREIGN VEHICLES, VOLKSWAGEN SECOND
AND, TIED FOR THIRD PLACE IN MY HUMBLE OPINION IS EQUALLY CHEVY
AND FORD FOR MY THIRD AND FINAL CHOICE OF AUTOMOBILE MANUFACTURERS..!

Valerie
June 28, 2013 at 5:46 pm

I have owned my 2012 Fiat 500 Lounge for 26 months and it is the best car ever. I love the Bose sound system and all the other luxuries and significantly low mpg. The Italian design makes it the ultimate cute car. And not terribly expensive.

William H. Burke, Jr.
June 28, 2013 at 5:31 pm

I have owned a 2007 Buick Lucerne V6 for six years now and have had
absolutely no problems with it, except for a couple flat tires,
which don't count. The engine and transmission are super smooth,
the car is roomy and has a great ride. It does zero to sixty
in 9 seconds, which is plenty adequate. If you want anything faster, get a BMW, if you can afford it.

Mike
June 28, 2013 at 5:27 pm

Just bought a Nissan Altima 2.5 SL loaded with many options. List price almost 31k, out the door for 26.5k! Best car I ever owned! Luxury for less.

Maggie
June 28, 2013 at 5:16 pm

I divorced Chrysler back in the early 2000's and now I enjoy driving instead of spending time in the shop. I have a 2006 Hyundai Azera that I absolutely LOVE. It is my second Hyundai and I will buy another in the not too distant future. The car is fabulous, great engine, wonderful performance and the warranty is the BEST in the business. I am happy to see Hyundai climbing into the top ten. Since my purchase there are four members of my family who now drive Hyundai cars. Two have Sonata and two have the 2012 Elantra. They came from a BMW family. Great move.

Garrett
June 28, 2013 at 5:02 pm

Purchased a 2012 Hyundai Sonata a couple weeks ago and so far I'm loving it. Traded a 2010 Ford Escape and immediately noticed the benefit in the MPG between the two. I did however, was trying to decide between the Sonata and the Kia Optima.

Randy
June 28, 2013 at 4:37 pm

I have a chevy Silverado, And I would not trade it for
anything else. I am a chevy Man for life!