Cars Blog

Finance Blogs » Cars » 1.6M Jeeps in car recall

1.6M Jeeps in car recall

By Tara Baukus Mello · Bankrate.com
Saturday, June 29, 2013

Despite earlier refusing a request from the feds to recall 1,560,000 Jeeps in the U.S., parent company Chrysler Group LLC has said it has "resolved its differences" with the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration and will indeed recall the cars in question. The recall involves some of the 1993-1998 Jeep Grand Cherokees and 2002-2007 Jeep Libertys, due to a possible problem with the fuel tank that could result in leakage or a fire in a rear-impact crash.

The announcement of the car recall comes after an increase in signatures on a petition on Change.org demanding the recall. The petition, which received more than 127,000 signatures, was started by Jenelle Embrey, who witnessed a mother and her teenage son burn to death in their 1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee in an October 2012 crash. The NHTSA began investigating the Jeep models in 2010 as a result of a request by the Center for Auto Safety, a consumer group that monitors accident data and takes consumer complaints.

Affected cars will get a visual inspection and the addition of a Chrysler-designed tow hitch if they are not already equipped with a hitch and if the structure can support the installation. According to Chrysler, the Chrysler-designed tow hitch will help "better manage crash forces in low-speed impacts." Chrysler maintains that the cars in the recall are not defective and are among the safest cars in their segment.

Do you own one of the cars in the recall? Do you think they're safe?

Tara Baukus Mello writes the cars blog as well as the weekly Driving for Dollars column, providing both practical financial advice for consumers as well as insight into the latest developments in the automotive world. Follow her on Facebook here or on Twitter @SheDrives.

Nancy Dalton
July 05, 2013 at 10:49 am

Recently purchased 2005 Jeep liberty Renegade. How do I find out if it's included in recall?

Sally Weber
July 04, 2013 at 5:14 pm

yea, I would like to have a mechanic look at my 1995 jeep grand cherokee. I fear the idea of the gas exploding. Please address thia isue asap!

Puckfreak
July 02, 2013 at 9:46 pm

There is a reason people call them "heeps"

Kevin Fisher
July 02, 2013 at 7:43 pm

I own a 1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee as my hunting vehicle, and my daughter drives it from time to time, so I want it fixed immediately.

rich
July 02, 2013 at 10:35 am

My parents sent me this article because i just got a jeep wrangler. I said did you read the article? This is for Cheerokees and Liberties. Then I went to the source... who the F is Taura Baukus Mello? She has quotes from companies, but none of its sited by foot notes... where did she get this information from? is this plagiarism? Please stop blogging, youre scaring people.

Hal Goldberg
July 02, 2013 at 10:31 am

We also have received a recall for the air bag light being on. We also have been told that they are waiting for the part to be available. So I guess we'll get lucky and get both things fixed at the same time. LOL!

connie dillard
July 02, 2013 at 9:55 am

I have 2002 and there a recall on air bag in it . An they still haven't fix it. They sent a letter said when they get the part in they will send out another letter nothing still and its been 5 months. So no matter what they will set on everything before it gets fix's. Good luck.

Therese
July 02, 2013 at 9:31 am

I own a 1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo. What do I need to do about this problem? Please respond as soon as possible.

javed daniels
July 02, 2013 at 9:04 am

I own 1998 jeep grand Cherokee which is mention in the recall list. My question is what should I do ?

chris williams
July 02, 2013 at 6:16 am

Brian Wilkins....the mysterious coolant leak or consumption of coolant on any jeep 4.0 litre years 1999 through 2001 is that the cylinder head cracks in between #3 and #4 cylinders when engine is overheated.Take the engine oil fill cap off when engine is hot and look in the valve cover fill are with a flashlight and you will see the coolant and or crack leaking into the engine valvetrain area. XJ are the most durable vehicle ive ever owned.4.0 aw4 trans 44d diffs = bullet proof!!!!