Banking Blog

Finance Blogs » Banking » Personalizing your ATM trips

Personalizing your ATM trips

By David McMillin · Bankrate.com
Wednesday, February 20, 2013

One of the biggest banks in America is making its ATMs smarter.

Wells Fargo is unveiling a redesigned ATM interface that will track your transaction history to offer a personalized experience when you swipe your debit card at one of the bank's machines. While the interface is currently available at a few hundred of the bank's machines, it will be on all of the 12,000-plus Wells Fargo ATMs by May.

Rather than a traditional ATM screen that asks what you want to do, Wells Fargo will use your frequent banking activities to predict your needs. If you typically make $60 withdrawals from your joint checking account, that will be one of your primary options. If you normally make deposits to your savings account, that will be one of your primary options, too.

"The ATMs really know you better," says Alicia Moore, head of Wells Fargo ATM Banking.

With more knowledge comes more speed, and it seems like the interface will knock off some of the waiting time at a cash machine.

In addition to saving time, the interface comes with a tool designed to help account holders manage their money more effectively. With the ability to set a monthly withdrawal target, you can preprogram how much you're hoping to take out of your account in any given month. The bank's ATM Cash Tracker feature will keep you updated on whether you're adhering to your cash withdrawal limits.

On a note unrelated to budgeting your money, Wells Fargo also displays a "Happy Birthday" message for account holders who decide to celebrate their big days by making trips to the ATM. (If only the message featured the bank's CEO singing to account holders,  that ATM trip could be a real party.)

What do you think of the new ATM interface? Have you seen other banks offering any kind of personalization on ATMs?

Rosie
February 27, 2013 at 1:45 pm

I'm thinking more and more about just going back to writing good old checks, UNLESS down the road they will do away with 'old fashioned payments.' Of course, they can't because there are STILL a lot of people out there that don't believe in ATMs, etc.
At the same time, once you're in the 'system,' you can't get out.

richard
February 25, 2013 at 4:10 pm

so if somebody rob you they would have a choice of your last withdraw yea its more fees you want i been a cust for over 8 years and i still have to pay for checks and money orders when other banks give it to you for free what a shame

Charlie
February 25, 2013 at 6:33 am

This appears to be an unnecessary improvement designed to ultimately collect additional fees for the greedy Big Banks.

scott
February 24, 2013 at 8:10 pm

Here's an idea... Stop using the traditional banks (i.e Bank of America , Wells Fargo etc..) that charge you for everything and start using a credit union with lower loan and cc interest rates. Most people qualify to join one. And most have no fees.

Mary
February 24, 2013 at 7:11 pm

I actually had a 'commercial' at a BofA atm...

Soc
February 24, 2013 at 7:05 pm

I would be happy if I di dnot have to selct English vs Spanish every single time I use an ATM

but I like the idea

Rosemary
February 24, 2013 at 6:49 pm

Too much information and too intrusive. I don't need a bank machine to read my mind. How much is this stupid update going to cost the bank customers? Perhaps you should put more thought into blocking hackers.

nina
February 24, 2013 at 6:14 pm

the W.f bank what a joke. I went in to a friends account to prove any one could hack the account. all I had to do is 3 things.I told some one who works for w.f and they said it couldn't be done I said ok. so I asked a customer in line if they wanted to do a test on how safe is you're account and got into their account in less then 2 min. they walked out in a hurry.what you are going to do is crazy .you charge too much and you don't care about our pr.

grace
February 24, 2013 at 5:57 pm

you're behind in you're so call plan. My bank has been doing this for many years. you charge for everything.my bank is small but they go out of their way to make every one happy to return. you're bank I'm lost for words

Daphne
February 24, 2013 at 5:15 pm

I very much resent all these electronic developments which I view as a privacy intrusion. Just let me insert my card, read the options, and get what I want out of the machine.