Banking Blog

Finance Blogs » Banking » NBA star overdraws bank account

NBA star overdraws bank account

By David McMillin · Bankrate.com
Thursday, November 21, 2013

Professional basketball stars might earn millions for winning games, but managing those millions can be a losing battle.

Just ask Evan Turner, a forward-guard for the Philadelphia 76ers. Late last week, Turner posted a photo of an ATM receipt with an available checking balance of $-48.81 on his Instagram account. A sarcastic caption accompanied the photo: "Bank account look like im ready for early retirement…" Based on the receipt, it looks like the former first-round draft pick attempted to withdraw $50 from his checking account, which appears to have had a whopping balance of $2.69 before the transaction.

To frame this online display of Turner's banking troubles, here's a bit of context. Lately, Turner has been the subject of potential trade rumors. The franchise did not sign him to a contract extension by the Oct. 31 deadline, and Turner appears to be frustrated with the talk surrounding his future. This photo may be a suggestion for writers (like me) to write about something other than putting Turner on the trading block. In fact, Turner's next post included the caption, "Lame bloggers should get a life. #writeaboutthat"

Unfortunately, I haven't gotten a life. Instead, I'm writing about Turner's personal finances. I'm guessing that he has another account. In fact, he probably has many other accounts. The star will earn more than $6.7 million this year. With that kind of salary, I think he may be able to avoid the overdraft fee.

Still, the photo is an important reminder for average banking customers: It's not a good idea to post about your personal finances. Turner's photo includes the last four digits of his checking account. In today's world, cyber thieves can easily pounce on this snippet of information to drain your bank account. Although, in Turner's case, it seems those criminals would not get very far.

How do you keep up with your bank account balance? Do you log in to your account? Or do you do it the old-fashioned way and write your transactions in a checkbook?

Lou
December 11, 2013 at 11:48 am

Maybe he's like Kevin Hart, and has a checking and a savings account

TERRIS
December 11, 2013 at 10:41 am

I got a checking account on December 4 2013

Hyprocrite Hunter
December 08, 2013 at 1:19 pm

Hey dubbautee, because there are so many examples of your poor grammer in your posts I must wonder who is uneducated. You run your mouth off but you cannot put a decent thought on a post. You and the clown basketball player [who did go to college], should get some proper lessons.

brian
December 07, 2013 at 6:07 pm

pretty sure this is his play around/shopping account. No need to get excited. I do this because I keep my money in my saving and only put what I plan to spend in my checking. He just needs to set up his overdraft accordingly and yes you guys need to get a life.

Jason
December 07, 2013 at 12:14 pm

@dubbautee

After having to force myself thru your rambling paragraph, my eyes and brain now hurt. I'm sorry but judging from your grammar you are the last person that should be insulting someone's intelligence!

Either, English is your second language, in which case you shouldn't write comments, especially insulting ones, if you don't understand how to use words properly.

Or you are highly highly uneducated and it shows in you writing. Therefore please refrain from writing comments or advice any more, ever!

Ned
December 07, 2013 at 12:07 pm

Ugh. I was expecting to read about an NBA star. Not your less than average role player if that.

AWtheTP
December 07, 2013 at 12:34 am

Three words dubbautee.

Pot. Kettle. Black.

Joseph St John
December 01, 2013 at 2:08 pm

When I tried to open an on-line banking with Chase the social security number is not encrypted. I feel like my account will be open to thieves so I just click "delete".

dubbautee
November 28, 2013 at 1:00 am

this idiot got the nerve to get mad, when he's the one using social media to post personal stuff? can you say an uneducated fool with a lil taste of money, not to mention an irresponsible, per this article. he need basic math courses if you ask me. to learn how to balance a checkbook, and not to spend irresponsibly, and know when to make withdrawals when you have money in your account. he acts a lil slow and with a mental deficiency anyway though if anyone has noticed. dummy.

Adorah
November 22, 2013 at 8:00 am

Log in to my account. In this paperless world I pay everything with online checking...no more physical checkbook