Banking Blog

Finance Blogs » Banking » Man blames BofA for heart attack

Man blames BofA for heart attack

By David McMillin · Bankrate.com
Thursday, November 21, 2013

Dealing with big banks can feel stressful and frustrating for many account holders, but a new lawsuit takes those troubles to a new level.

In a story first reported by WSOC-TV in Charlotte, N.C., John Stecher, a 61-year-old man from North Carolina, claimed that Bank of America caused him to have a heart attack in 2011. Stecher alleges that the bank lost his mortgage payment and employees began calling him to warn that his credit history would be negatively impacted or, even worse, that he could face foreclosure. After a series of phone calls, Stecher says he went to a local branch to sort out the confusion in person.

Apparently, the face-to-face banking experience didn't go very smoothly. Stecher's lawyer, Paul Goodson, says his client's conversation with the branch manager ended with Stecher becoming distressed while feeling shortness of breath.

Stecher had a heart attack and is suing the bank.

"Before this incident, he was in good health," Goodson said in an interview with WSOC-TV. "The doctors pointed out that this health issue was stress-induced."

The lawsuit has a long way to go before Bank of America could be forced to pay any damages, but here's one snippet of information that reveals just how difficult it can be to switch banks. Despite the fact that Stecher believes Bank of America actually caused him to have a heart attack, he is still with BofA.

Based on the initial report, do you think BofA is at fault here? If so, how much should the bank pay Stecher?

Fred
November 22, 2013 at 7:30 pm

I had the same problem. Only it was with Wells Fargo. I have moved to a local credit union and happy that I did. No hart attack, but was called a liar, and when the problem was due to their accounting department mailing payment to the wrong address within their own organization, I never even got a "sorry was our fault" letter or phone call of apology. Hope the fella gets what he is after.

John Rickman
November 22, 2013 at 7:18 pm

My advice to anyone dealing with BOA,drop any and all dealings with the low lifes and go to a good Credit Union. The majority of BOA personell can be rude as hell to customers. I left them and went with a Credit Union and never been happier. I'm treated with respect,always greeted with a smile,and service is quick. They always ask if I have questions about any dealings with them. If I do,they're answered very quickly,politely and honestly. They're great people and financial institution to do business with.

Vickie
November 22, 2013 at 7:14 pm

David,
The homeowner just can't close his account and reopen at another. Bank of America holds his mortgage. Do you have any idea how a mortgage works?
Shame on you! This man suffered a heart attack due to the incompetence and carelessness of employees. I hope he wins the suit.

Randy
November 22, 2013 at 7:03 pm

Banking is a ruthless industry. So is the investment world. The bottom line is the only thing that matters. Responsibility is not something that is cultivated in these industries. Having said that, BOA did not cause the guy's heart attack. He has underlying bad coronary arteries, and his "event" could have been set off in a number of stressful situations. It just happened to be at the bank. Not a win-able case.

Lee
November 22, 2013 at 6:33 pm

Here's the Beauty of working w. BOA as opposed to working w. Government. With BOA you can "fire" BOA and move on to another bank. If Gov't takes anything over (healthcare, for example) there is no firing and you better just get used t it.

susan
November 22, 2013 at 6:23 pm

I recently refinanced my mortage with Bank of america, it is supposed to take no more than 90 days, I went through EIGHT months of hell, they kept losing everything I had to send them. I would never deal with that bank ever.

Barry
November 22, 2013 at 6:20 pm

BOA is the worst bank to do busniess with. I say SUE them. I had so much trouble. For example I was a federal worker with direct deposit to be paid on fridays. I had a couple of checks bounced so I called them. These check were made on friday. They told me that they debit the account at midnite but they don't deposit until 3 AM there was nothing they could do. I told them to cancel the account and joined a credit union. Never been happier than saying goodbye BOA. I had a credit card that was taken over by BOA I paid it off or so I thought. I took 4 trips to the BOA office to clear that up. They took an extra $100 to clear it up as they charged me interset daily. I feel for him as I know how stressful a time it was during this.

shawn
November 22, 2013 at 6:04 pm

I was in foreclosure trying to save my home while in the middle of having Breast Cancer, Lumpectomy Surgery, double Masectomy Surgery, then 6 months of chemo because I could not pay my Mortgage being on short term disability payments through my employer. Then 2 1/2 months of no income before I finally became eligible for my long term disability. Now, it was not the banks fault that I was behind. But Bank of America employees were the most inadequate bunch of clowns I have ever dealt with. I copied and mailed (certified) the exact same required information to modify my mortgage over and over and over and did I say 'over' again. Their continued response, "we haven't received it, " "it's not want we requested" "we need something more specific." I am a very intelligent woman, I did Medicare billing as my occupation which is a very difficult job. I sent them exactly what they wanted or needed time and time again, running around town getting documents bandaged up,sick with chemo, sick period. These people did not do their jobs appropriately and I suffered the consequences. I hope this gentleman wins his lawsuit and I hope they pay him up the wazoo.

Kathy
November 22, 2013 at 5:42 pm

I have had the bank lose my mortgage payment and told me it was my responsibility to prove it! It took me over a month to get it corrected and in the meantime they posted me 30 days late which took another act of Congress to get that removed! These banks are getting to be a joke. I can appreciate the stress this gentleman went thru and the callous way Banks treat their customers. They should remember if it wasn't for the customer they wouldn't have a job. So I say sue and good luck to you!

Randall Hall
November 22, 2013 at 5:39 pm

I had them calling me a few months ago saying my payment was late when it was electronically transfered. Their system could not find it and they charged me a late fee and kept trying to get me to make another payment. In the end they credited the late fee as the payment was on time as I told them several times.
I understand the man being upset! I hope he wins his suit. They do not care about customer service at all!