Banking Blog

Finance Blogs » Banking » Man blames BofA for heart attack

Man blames BofA for heart attack

By David McMillin · Bankrate.com
Thursday, November 21, 2013

Dealing with big banks can feel stressful and frustrating for many account holders, but a new lawsuit takes those troubles to a new level.

In a story first reported by WSOC-TV in Charlotte, N.C., John Stecher, a 61-year-old man from North Carolina, claimed that Bank of America caused him to have a heart attack in 2011. Stecher alleges that the bank lost his mortgage payment and employees began calling him to warn that his credit history would be negatively impacted or, even worse, that he could face foreclosure. After a series of phone calls, Stecher says he went to a local branch to sort out the confusion in person.

Apparently, the face-to-face banking experience didn't go very smoothly. Stecher's lawyer, Paul Goodson, says his client's conversation with the branch manager ended with Stecher becoming distressed while feeling shortness of breath.

Stecher had a heart attack and is suing the bank.

"Before this incident, he was in good health," Goodson said in an interview with WSOC-TV. "The doctors pointed out that this health issue was stress-induced."

The lawsuit has a long way to go before Bank of America could be forced to pay any damages, but here's one snippet of information that reveals just how difficult it can be to switch banks. Despite the fact that Stecher believes Bank of America actually caused him to have a heart attack, he is still with BofA.

Based on the initial report, do you think BofA is at fault here? If so, how much should the bank pay Stecher?

Cathy Thompson
November 22, 2013 at 5:27 pm

I have been with BOA for several years and have had a few problems, but they where taken care of in a timely fashion. The longest it ever took them to put money back that was unjustly took from my account was two weeks. It was not there fault, but customer service was nice and curtious to me and took care of it and even called the travel agent that not only took money to pay for my trip but also took money to pay for my sisters trip out of my account. Of course it caused my account to overdraft, but they took the charges off since it wasn't my fault. So I guess it depends on the indivisual bank as far as customer service goes.

LTBG341
November 22, 2013 at 5:21 pm

As the Jerky boys say "Sue Everyone" As much as I hate B of A this guy has no shot at collecting anything. Perhaps a good diet, exercise and medicine would of prevented this from happening. Again "Sue Everybody" LOL

Gene Breeze
November 22, 2013 at 5:21 pm

Sue the bank, don’t sue the bank, deep pockets what’s the difference? If this guy wants to sue the bank for causing him a stress related heart attack, then he has every right to do so.

Far too many banks and big corporations don’t care what got them to the top of the profit food chain. They are only interested in how much profit they can bring to the bottom line and make the shareholders and executive big bucks. They don’t care about the horrible wages they pay employees. Customer service has gone downhill and jobs keep disappearing and going offshore elsewhere. They get away with the stupid tax loopholes and pay very little taxes or as some, none at all. They get slapped on the wrist, pay a small fine and that’s only when they get caught.

Good luck with the lawsuit!

Sandra
November 22, 2013 at 5:11 pm

What I would like to know is did the bank ever find the error?

CP
November 22, 2013 at 5:07 pm

Let me point out that the man is still with B of A because (perhaps) he is still trying to work out his mortgage. (Good luck to him!)

Mary Smith
November 22, 2013 at 5:07 pm

BOA does nothing to help its customers. I had someone cash counterfeited checks on my account. I caught them before they were paid by checking my account daily. These were electronic checks. Police told me without a copy of the checks there was nothing they could do. Try calling their customer no service, try getting help from your local bank, you can't. BOA was not willing to help me when the places where the checks were written started trying to collect. These checks were written out of state from where I live and we had been doing no traveling due to major health issues.

I was basically told by BOA that I was on my own where these checks were concerned. So I can definitely understand how this man felt and the stress because I am still stressed and just waiting for the thing to happen.

Matt S
November 22, 2013 at 5:02 pm

If the Bank made a mistake, and it appears that it did, I am confident it would ultimately get it corrected. As such, to become stressed out to the point of causing oneself a heart attack, would seem at a minimum a wasted overreaction. In addition, medically and emotionally it appears this individual would inevitably triggered a heart attack with some other stressful event. Bottom line, he should appreciate he survived, get the appropriate medical care and relax...

Cindy R
November 22, 2013 at 4:17 pm

BOA is just one of few banks that have customer service problems. Banks today don't care about there customers there are only in it to make money and more money. So to Mr. Stecher don't bank down keep fighting with the attorneys help. There is one thing I have been taught THE CUSTOMERS ARE ALWAYS RIGHT! but not today the customers are not right.
BOA put yourself in Mr. Stecher shoes and see how you would feel.

lietz
November 22, 2013 at 4:16 pm

basically this underscores that customer service is going to hell in a handbasket

Robert Desalvio
November 22, 2013 at 4:11 pm

This is absolutely insane. All you people are out of your minds. So by the idiotic logic I see here, we have to be super careful not to stress someone out or they may sue. Most of you are throwing common sense to the wind because all you see is a big company with deep pockets.