Banking Blog

Finance Blogs » Banking » Chase cardholders double-charged

Chase cardholders double-charged

By David McMillin · Bankrate.com
Thursday, April 5, 2012

The nation's biggest bank announced that some customers in three states were accidentally charged twice for debit card purchases this week.

If you use a Chase debit card and live in New York, New Jersey or Connecticut, you may want to check your online banking statement. While the bank says it is working to fix the problem, monitor your online statement in the next week or so and immediately report any charges that appear to be incorrect.

The latest technological glitch is another blow to the financial giant's report card. Just last week, Twitter was abuzz with frustrated account holders who could not access their online statements as Chase struggled to repair a website outage that left many customers unable to manage their money.

Of course, Chase isn't alone in its computer challenges. Plenty of other financial institutions occasionally report that their websites are down or their payment processing systems have made mistakes.

Still, just because most banks face these difficulties doesn't mean customers will continue to excuse them. It's issues like these that make account holders wary of relying on online and mobile technologies for all of their banking needs. From the inconvenience of removing accidental charges to the possibility of massive data breaches, I don't blame customers who have concerns about the move toward an all-online experience with their banks.

A few hours of website unavailability may not seem like a long time, but the reality is that we all expect technology to work -- anywhere, anytime. As banks continue to push customers toward online bill pay, mobile deposit and other Web-based services, they'll need to ensure those services are always immediately accessible.

What do you think of the recent banking issues at Chase? Are they a sign that banks need to take steps toward enhancing their online banking tools to deliver a more efficient and secure customer experience?

rich
June 01, 2012 at 11:33 pm

i have a freedom card&checking+great service

VON
May 31, 2012 at 1:42 pm

I have had no problems with Chase. Was a customer of WAMU and then CHASE bought them out.

Dont go with Chase
May 29, 2012 at 4:32 pm

Being a military service member, they took a couple hundred dollars in late fees from me. The Annual Golf membership with the MWR required a Chase credit card. Statements were sent 5-10 days before payment was due. They left $1 owed on my credit report for months. I've never had trouble with Randolph Brooks Federal Credit Union in San Antonio. I get cash back. As a young soldier RBFCU refinanced me for 7% (in 1994). much better that the 15% at the dealership. I wouldn't recommend Chase and I wont ever use any credit or loan service with Chase.....ever again. I would urge all military personnel and MWR to stop supporting Chase. Congressional Hearings about this company falls on Ole Deaf Ears.

Kat Fud
May 25, 2012 at 6:31 pm

I cancelled my account with them long ago because of their frequent incompetence. None of this surprises me. At some point, benign neglect and incompetence morphs into evil; in this respect, Chase is pure evil.

Ratt
May 23, 2012 at 2:07 pm

Chase sucks, we had no choice they came into our lil town and bought the dayyam Bank then the outfit we worked for forced us to direct deposit, so now, Chase charges us for that service.

maria
May 23, 2012 at 10:32 am

I have been a chase bank customer for more than 8years and Ireally enjoy their Chase Freedom credit card perks.

maria
May 23, 2012 at 10:30 am

I have been a chse bank customer for more than 8years and Ireally enjoy their Chase Freedom credit card perks.

Ella
May 23, 2012 at 9:08 am

I obtained a loan way back in 2006 from HFC/Beneficial at that time; later to find out that it was a revolving account and even though the interest was 18% interest rate. After I closed my line of credit. It was disaster after then; my account went back up to its original limit. Over a 5 year period of making from 150 payment up to 300 per month; I ended up only having 500 applied to this 10,000 loan. After contacting everyone from the Attorney General's office to the commission of banks; I was told nothing could be done. We went into debt and paid off the balance of 9600.MONEY LOST, MONEY OWED...HAD WE KNOWN UP FRONT THAT BENEFICIAL WAS ASSOCIATED IN ANY WAY---NOWAY WOULD WE HAVE OBTAINED THAT LOAN.

Soledad
May 21, 2012 at 1:32 pm

When customers have over drafts, the charged fee against the customer's accont is something like $35 for the use of the bank's money. Perhaps there ought to be a $75 NBMA Credit (No Bank Money Available)the banks should credit a customers account when the bank(s) encounter problems with their computer systems. Banks don't much care as to why the customer has an overdraft, they just want to be able to deduct your money from your account and deposit it into their own; so why should the customer be complacent. $75 NBMA Credit isn't much compared to how many fees these bank collect on daily bases on customers strugging with this economy, unemployment, reduced salaries, houses in forclosure, unable to feed their families. (This comment isn't made on behalf of those individuals that constantly can afford the overdraft bank fees just because they can.)

Ola
May 19, 2012 at 5:41 pm

I have used several banks over the years for checking and savings.I had problems with inexperienced employees and even rude managers.
I moved everything to Chase about 10 yrs.ago and am very pleased.I have had some issues with employee mistakes, but always go to the president/manager and get it fixed.
The rewards on their Freedom Credit cards are fantastic.
You must ask questions and tell them what you expect from your bank.