Banking Blog

Finance Blogs » Banking » Chase cardholders double-charged

Chase cardholders double-charged

By David McMillin · Bankrate.com
Thursday, April 5, 2012

The nation's biggest bank announced that some customers in three states were accidentally charged twice for debit card purchases this week.

If you use a Chase debit card and live in New York, New Jersey or Connecticut, you may want to check your online banking statement. While the bank says it is working to fix the problem, monitor your online statement in the next week or so and immediately report any charges that appear to be incorrect.

The latest technological glitch is another blow to the financial giant's report card. Just last week, Twitter was abuzz with frustrated account holders who could not access their online statements as Chase struggled to repair a website outage that left many customers unable to manage their money.

Of course, Chase isn't alone in its computer challenges. Plenty of other financial institutions occasionally report that their websites are down or their payment processing systems have made mistakes.

Still, just because most banks face these difficulties doesn't mean customers will continue to excuse them. It's issues like these that make account holders wary of relying on online and mobile technologies for all of their banking needs. From the inconvenience of removing accidental charges to the possibility of massive data breaches, I don't blame customers who have concerns about the move toward an all-online experience with their banks.

A few hours of website unavailability may not seem like a long time, but the reality is that we all expect technology to work -- anywhere, anytime. As banks continue to push customers toward online bill pay, mobile deposit and other Web-based services, they'll need to ensure those services are always immediately accessible.

What do you think of the recent banking issues at Chase? Are they a sign that banks need to take steps toward enhancing their online banking tools to deliver a more efficient and secure customer experience?

Rachel
May 08, 2012 at 10:15 pm

Also in Louisiana, everything was charged twice on April friday the 27th while using my debit card and had to go in to the Bank on Monday April 30th

Chase have been very good to me. With No problems at all. Their on-line banking is the best to use.

Everyone makes mistakes, I have been with Chase since I was 18 and since it was called First..., Bank One and Chase now; Its the first mistake they make, so, i'm good with it!

Rachel
May 08, 2012 at 10:07 pm

Also in Louisiana, everything was charged on April friday the 27th and had to go in to the Bank on Monday April 30th

JasonS
May 08, 2012 at 7:53 pm

I have been using Chase for about 18 months now and they have been very good to me. No problems at all. Their on-line banking is very easy to use.

If you poll a group of people from each bank, you will find that all banks make mistakes. There are also people who blame their own mistakes on the bank and announce the blame to the world. There is also the media that likes to announce mistakes as well.

My suggestion is to talk to your friends and ask them where they bank and if they had any problems.

karen edwards
May 08, 2012 at 7:27 pm

i had a washington mutual cc several yrs back and they were bought out by chase. even tho i was in good standing with wm, chase closed my acct for reasons unknown. only a letter saying make sure i continue making my monthly pymts and don't try to use the card or they will have me thrown underneath the jail and the key thrown away. my hope for them, that a lot of their client list have left them holding the bag with nonpymts of their accts. at least i was paying chase!

Keepalowprofile
May 08, 2012 at 7:06 am

Chase is the biggest bullies to ever congregate into one business.

sickprofits
May 07, 2012 at 9:35 pm

I've been fighting Chase (connected to disability, illegal medical charges and illegal actions from two specialists) for over 7+ years.
I hope I never have a credit card again! I hope I never see a doctor again!
And I wish I could find a lawyer or a CPA who has a clue about DISABILITY. Don't they have legal/financial books anymore? What happened to the intelligence in this country? Flushed down with Obamacare, I guess.

Msprof
May 07, 2012 at 2:58 pm

Chase frustrates me; I've been dealing with them while trying to modify my home loan. They were going to reduce the interest if I paid them $400 and I did. Then, they said they couldn't because I have an upside down mortgage. I've tried for modifications twice. The last one was recent, but I was played for about 4 months. I could never speak to my "mortgage specialist" and was told that I needed papers I had already submitted. Two weeks ago, I called to ask them how the modification was going and they told me that they had sold my loan (strange that someone would buy an upside down mortgage, isn't it?). They also said all the modification papers went with my loan. Of course, my new company doesn't have them, so I have started once again to try to modify my 8.25 percent loan.

Joan
May 04, 2012 at 6:20 pm

I am not a big fan of Chase, and I no longer have any accounts with them with the exception of a Credit Card and it has the highest rate of all my credit cards, so I never use it. Chase is very behind the times with most of their banking ideas and very incompetent.

Walker
May 03, 2012 at 10:24 pm

For crying out loud...........a few hours without accessing your account is a disaster? Really? What a miserable world we must have had with MONTHLY statements mailed thru the mail......

Either it's in the account or it's not..............

nelson
May 03, 2012 at 7:37 pm

i went to chase bank to transfer money from my saving account to my checking account insted the teller transfered money to my checking account to my saving account and i was charged 25 dollar for their mistake when i call the bank the operator said that am the one who transfer the money in the atm .