10 midyear tax moves to make now

Taxes » Tax Filing » 10 Midyear Tax Moves To Make Now

Finish your 2013 return
File your 2011 return

First things first. If you received an extension to file back in April, finish up your 2013 tax return now.

Sure, you have until Oct. 15 to get the forms to the IRS, but you don't have to wait until the last minute. Finishing up your taxes in a rush, whether in April or October, is a recipe for disaster.

At best, you could overlook a deduction or credit that could cut your tax bill. At worst, you could make a filing mistake that could undo all the tax work you got around to completing.

Remember, too, that the IRS' Free File program is still operational. If your adjusted gross income last year was $58,000 or less, you can use the online system to prepare and file your taxes for, as the name says, free.


Show Bankrate's community sharing policy
          Connect with us

Our tax expert Kay Bell provides resourceful tips and advice to help you stay prepared for filing.


Connect with us