10 common tax-filing mistakes to avoid

6. Filing status errors

Make sure you choose the correct filing status for your situation. You have 5 options, and each could make a difference in your ultimate tax bill.

If this is the first tax-filing season since your divorce and you now are a single parent, writing "head of household" probably will be more beneficial. And what if you're still married, but you and your spouse are thinking about filing separate tax returns? That works in some cases, but not all.

Make sure you know what each tax-filing status entails, and choose the one that best fits your personal tax situation.

7. Social Security number oversights

Because the IRS stopped putting taxpayer Social Security numbers on tax package labels in response to privacy concerns, some taxpayers forget to write in their identification numbers. Your tax ID number is crucial because there are so many transactions -- income statements, savings account interest, retirement plan contributions -- keyed to this number.

The 9-digit sequence also is vital to claim several tax credits, such as the child tax and additional child tax credits, as well as ones for educational expenses and dependent care costs.

8. Complete charitable contributions

Do you give to charitable groups? All types of donations, from cash to cars, could be valuable tax deductions, so make sure you count them all when you file. Be sure to follow the donation tax rules, the most important being that you give to a qualified organization -- that is, one that has tax-exempt status with the IRS. Also be careful when calculating any gifts of clothing and household items. Tax law now requires that these donations be in good or better condition or the deduction is disallowed. And remember that the amount you can claim for donated goods is the fair market value of the items; that's what a willing buyer would pay for it in its current condition, not what you paid for it.

9. Signature required

Sign and date your return. The IRS won't process it if it's missing a John Hancock, and that means on e-filed returns, too. Taxpayers filing electronically must sign the return electronically using a personal identification number, or PIN. To verify your identity, you'll have to provide the PIN you used last year or your adjusted gross income from your previous year's tax return.

Your tax software should walk you through the e-signature process, but if you're still mailing your return, don't be in such a hurry that you stuff your 1040 in the envelope without signing it. And if it's a joint filing, both you and your spouse must sign.

10. Missing the deadline

Millions of taxpayers put off filing until the very last minute. That's OK as long as your mailed paper return is postmarked by the April filing deadline or you hit "enter" to e-file your 1040 by midnight of the deadline day.

The good news for 2016 is that the April 15 due date is pushed to April 18 because of a federal holiday and the weekend. If you still can't get your forms finished by then, file Form 4868 by the deadline. This will give you a 6-month extension (which is Oct. 17, 2016 since the usual Oct. 15 deadline is on a Saturday) to submit your tax forms.

Also be sure to send any tax you owe with your extension request. If you don't, you could face late-filing or non-filing penalties. Nobody wants to pay Uncle Sam a penny more than necessary, so don't make the mistake of missing the filing deadline.


Show Bankrate's community sharing policy
          Connect with us

Connect with us