A cheat sheet on tipping do's and don'ts
With all that happens at major events like weddings and funerals, giving gratuities might be easily overlooked. Farley, the manners expert, offered these recommendations.
Wedding tips guide:
- Wait staff: $20 to $25 per server.
- Bartender: $20 to $25 per bartender or 10 percent of the total bar tab.
- Coat room/bathroom attendants: $1 per guest, paid by the host.
- Disc jockey: $50 to $100.
- Presiding official: Some prefer a donation to their house of worship and others have a suggested honorarium.
- Altar boys: $10 to $15.
- Wedding planner: $50 to $100. If it's for the planning firm's owner, don't tip.
Funeral tips guideline:
- Presiding official: $50 to $300 if an honorarium is not preset.
"Any tips for funeral home staff are handled by the funeral home," Farley says. "Sometimes those fees are itemized on the bill (as a gratuity), or they can be included in the overall price that the family pays."