With all that happens at major events like weddings and funerals, giving gratuities might be easily overlooked. Farley, the manners expert, offered these recommendations.
Wedding tips guide:
- Wait staff: $20 to $25 per server.
- Bartender: $20 to $25 per bartender or 10% of the total bar tab.
- Coat room/bathroom attendants: $1 per guest, paid by the host.
- Disc jockey: $50 to $100.
- Presiding official: Some prefer a donation to their house of worship and others have a suggested honorarium.
- Altar boys: $10 to $15.
- Wedding planner: $50 to $100. If it's for the planning firm's owner, don't tip.
Funeral tips guideline:
- Presiding official: $50 to $300 if an honorarium is not preset.
"Any tips for funeral home staff are handled by the funeral home," Farley says. "Sometimes those fees are itemized on the bill (as a gratuity), or they can be included in the overall price that the family pays."
RATE SEARCH: Shopping for a car? Don't forget to first shop for low auto rates at Bankrate.com today!