Heirs tracking down 50-year-old investment

Don TaylorDear Dr. Don,
The youngest of six children, I am 48 years old. My father joined the Navy at 22. In Italy, he met his bride and my mother, returning to the U.S. to raise our family.

In 1959, he bought a trust certificate from Corporate Leaders of America. My father died suddenly in 1978. When my mother died five years ago, we were looking for a will and found the trust certificate.

Over the years, the company has been involved in mergers. In a call, The Bank of New York Mellon told my brother the trust was still active. I'm pretty sure my mother had little, if any, knowledge of the trust certificate.

My sister has tried contacting the federal government to no avail. I'm worried we're at a dead end. What steps should we take now?

We are all struggling financially and would like to get what is legally ours. We're concerned that banks and government will want to hang on to this with both hands.

Thank you,
-- Lora Long-Term

Dear Lora,
Ticktock. You've known about this trust certificate for five years. There's sufficient proof of either your father's or mother's ownership stake. The transfer agent of the trust can transfer ownership, but they need legal guidance about the current owner, which could be complicated.

100 shares © Tupungato/

Your family should hire an estate planning attorney to establish who inherited the certificate. Then, it can be registered in the name(s) of the current owner(s).

If the investment is still owned in dad's name, a probate procedure is needed to transfer title to intestate heirs. If there is a will, then there must be a way under state law to transfer the asset to the designated beneficiary.

You're also going to need a tax professional. As an inheritance is settled and taxes are paid, the new owners can decide what to do with the investment.

The federal government isn't a concern right now. So, you can stop worrying that the bank and Uncle Sam want to take your money. Later, there might be concerns about taxes and possible penalties due.

Get more news, money-saving tips and expert advice by signing up for a free Bankrate newsletter.

Ask the adviser

To ask a question of Dr. Don, go to the "Ask the Experts" page and select one of these topics: "Financing a home," "Saving & Investing" or "Money." Read more Dr. Don columns for additional personal finance advice.

Bankrate's content, including the guidance of its advice-and-expert columns and this website, is intended only to assist you with financial decisions. The content is broad in scope and does not consider your personal financial situation. Bankrate recommends that you seek the advice of advisers who are fully aware of your individual circumstances before making any final decisions or implementing any financial strategy. Please remember that your use of this website is governed by Bankrate's Terms of Use.


Show Bankrate's community sharing policy
          Connect with us

Learn the latest trends that will help grow your portfolio, plus tips on investing strategies. Delivered weekly.

CDs and Investment

Where should I put my money?

Dear Dr. Don, I would like to begin investing money to use in retirement. I want to be conservative with these investments, and I don't know where to begin. Any advice on retirement investing would be appreciated. Thank... Read more



Dr Don Taylor

ETFs in retirement accounts

The availability of ETFs in retirement accounts gives investors access to a wider array of investments, but not all choices are appropriate in these accounts.  ... Read more

Partner Center

Connect with us