You've got your sunscreen and beach ball. But do you have insurance for summer fun?

That home away from home
7 of 7
That home away from home © Mariusz Blach /

Hit the road with the insurance you need

Renting out your home for vacation use can be cost-effective for everyone involved.

Thanks to Airbnb and similar sites, vacation rentals are growing in popularity. Insurance requirements vary considerably, depending on the length and frequency of the stays.

Some insurers may allow a short-term rental (a week or several weekends) of your primary home under your home insurance policy. Other insurance companies may require additional coverage.

For longer rentals, you'll need a landlord or rental-dwelling policy, which can cost 25 percent more than a standard policy. But you'll get more protection against property damage and liability.

Regular rentals, whether short- or long-term, won't be covered by your homeowners insurance. You'll have to buy the sort of business policy appropriate for either a hotel or bed-and-breakfast, according to the Insurance Information Institute.

If you're renting someone else's home as your own summer vacation lodging, talk to your agent about whether your own home insurance covers damage or theft where you're staying. If you book through an online vacation listing website, it may offer a property damage policy as part of the package.

7 of 7



Show Bankrate's community sharing policy

Connect with us